Nothing is truly dumb some people still have those older phones due to the fact they like them over the new ones.
    I CLEARLY stated that I was upgrading from a BB Tour. Now why would I attempt to get a phone that my carrier no longer offers? I made it clear that the Bold was being offered as an upgrade. For some reason, she seemed to have a problem with my choice of BB.
    01-13-11 12:33 PM
    Who are u? Her crackberry savior?

I created this thread to give reasons why I choose not to dump my BB for an Iphone. She then replies and ends her post with "I dont buy it". Yet somehow I'M wrong here?

She asks me why I dont just buy a phone that RIM no longer makes when I clearly stated that I have and am quite happy with a Bold. So yes, it was a stupid question.
    Um...what did anything I posted have to do with someone elses post other than YOURS?

I was responding to you. I am fairly sure that whomevers post you are referencing can handle herself quite well.

Now, you are just behaving like a ****. You posted a discussion post, people are discussing, you don't like it, you get defensive.

I simply pointed out your argument that the 8300 series is somehow miraculously 6 years old. I honestly would like to know where that came from because I bought one when it and the world edition were the flagship BBs and I can assure you it wasn't 6 years ago. There are inaccuracies in your arguments against iPhone and Android. Just because people are correcting you on them doesn't mean you need to act like a defensive ****. You claims that the only way to customize an Android phone like you do your BB is to root it. You are wrong. Others said as much. You attacked. And anyone who questions you is accused of being another posters "savior".

Just saying.
    01-13-11 12:42 PM
    Oh, and every single point you mentioned as being the reason you will never leave BB for an iPhone I can do with my SGS. The battery, the messaging, the push email, the one handed operation, the looks, the typing speed.

You made it sound like iPhone or Android is rocket science or incredibly complicated to use.

Again, I have to question what exactly you were trying to do with your DINC.
    01-13-11 12:48 PM
    Um...what did anything I posted have to do with someone elses post other than YOURS?

I was responding to you. I am fairly sure that whomevers post you are referencing can handle herself quite well.

Now, you are just behaving like a ****. You posted a discussion post, people are discussing, you don't like it, you get defensive.

I simply pointed out your argument that the 8300 series is somehow miraculously 6 years old. I honestly would like to know where that came from because I bought one when it and the world edition were the flagship BBs and I can assure you it wasn't 6 years ago. There are inaccuracies in your arguments against iPhone and Android. Just because people are correcting you on them doesn't mean you need to act like a defensive ****. You claims that the only way to customize an Android phone like you do your BB is to root it. You are wrong. Others said as much. You attacked. And anyone who questions you is accused of being another posters "savior".

Just saying.

My appoligies. My opening statement was meant for Leafs2k9. I initally thought your post was his/hers.

As for the the blackberry 8330. It actually came out in 2007. I was off by a year.

I've actually owned an android device. It comes with preloaded apps such as Blockbuster that CAN NOT be deleted unless u have root access.

I just find it weird that everyone took offense to my "stupid question" comment, when it was her who gave me a hard time about my choice of phone.
    01-13-11 01:04 PM
    Oh, and every single point you mentioned as being the reason you will never leave BB for an iPhone I can do with my SGS. The battery, the messaging, the push email, the one handed operation, the looks, the typing speed.

You made it sound like iPhone or Android is rocket science or incredibly complicated to use.

Again, I have to question what exactly you were trying to do with your DINC.
    I never said that it was a fact that typing was faster on the bb, or it was in fact easier to use for one handed operation, etc...

I merely stated that I found it easier for ME to use the BB over that of the Iphone and my previous Droid Inc.

I thing that I do know is fact though. The battery life on my BB Bold does indeed trump that of the Droid and Iphone.
    01-13-11 01:07 PM
    Here we go with the battery life card.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-13-11 01:09 PM
    I did dump my BB (8900) for an iPhone very recently. There are some things I do miss, but in the end the pros of an iPhone justified my (personal) decision. The lack of LED is a big one...seeing that blinking red light is really handy. I do miss being able to select text with more precision. I miss being able to clear the clipboard (WTF Apple, why can't I clear the clipboard!)...that's probably it though. I got used to the touchscreen and keyboard pretty quickly...but nothing will beat an 8900 keyboard, I think.
    01-13-11 01:11 PM
    Here we go with the battery life card.
    Battery life may not be that big of a deal to some, but for some people it is very important to be able to go thru a full work day without having to stop and charge your phone while you're on the go.

I for one need my blackberry with me at all times for business reasons. Sometimes i'm all over the building handling various tasks. If I had a phone that constantly needed charging, it would only slow me down. I experienced that with my Droid Incredible and it wasnt pleasant.
    01-13-11 01:14 PM
    I miss the battery life, too :P
    01-13-11 01:17 PM
    Droid Incredible for 7 months, BB 8100, then 8900 for 3+ years. The BB's forte is indeed messaging as the OP stated. No question. The second forte is typing keyboard as the OP stated. The third forte is the battery, as the OP stated. They look good too (as the OP stated). The OS was fine I thought. But beyond that you're done. The 8900 screen was clear, but way too small for browsing. Browsing on my BBs was a freaking chore, it was painful. And apps were pretty few and far between. Not that I'm a major app user, but still. With a BB you learn to squint right away lol.
    I've always said that the BB smartphones are all about their simplicity and the messaging. If that's what you need go for it. But if you're into browsing, pix, video, and apps then look elsewhere. And don't get me started on the stinko Storm series. They should have named it the BB Battery Pull. Just don't go there. Just my 02.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 01-13-11 at 01:38 PM.
    01-13-11 01:33 PM
    I did dump my BB (8900) for an iPhone very recently. There are some things I do miss, but in the end the pros of an iPhone justified my (personal) decision. The lack of LED is a big one...seeing that blinking red light is really handy. I do miss being able to select text with more precision. I miss being able to clear the clipboard (WTF Apple, why can't I clear the clipboard!)...that's probably it though. I got used to the touchscreen and keyboard pretty quickly...but nothing will beat an 8900 keyboard, I think.
    Motorola Droid Bionic has LED notifications AFAIK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 01:38 PM
    Is BB ever going to make a keyboard for anyone larger than a 6 year old?
    01-13-11 04:45 PM
    Is BB ever going to make a keyboard for anyone larger than a 6 year old?
    I said the same thing b4 I purchased my first BB. Surprisingly I type quite fine and I have some fat fingers. The trick is to use the corners or your finger or nail. These keyboards aren't designed for your entire thumb to be used on each key.

01-13-11 04:57 PM
    @branflakes: what do you wish BB did better? i am waiting on RIM to maximize STORM's capabilities.
    1. I would like a slightly larger screen (the iPhone's 3.5" is a perfect size, imo). The rumored Torch 2 should have a higher res screen, which would be nice, but you need a little more real estate for web browsing to be comfortable, especially with a higher resolution.

2. I wish OS6 didn't have all the "Downloads, Favorites" screens. Give me some screens I can customize with what I want, not what RIM thinks I want. And fix the dang bug in the Favorites screen.

3. Even more customization of ringtones and messaging sounds for specific people.

4. A built-in screen lock app like iPhones and Andriod. I use PatternLock on my Torch, and like it, but wish RIM had included a basic one. Touchscreens need screen locking, not just a lock button (that is too easily pressed like the Torch's).

I really really like my Torch. It does what I want, but it's got a few hiccups. Just want the web browsing a little faster and easier to see (screen size). I want Flash/HTML5 for a fuller web experience on my phone.

I am seriously considering a Playbook when those come out. Other things I'd want to do on a smartphone/tablet would need the 7" size. Things like remote admin work on clients' computers on the go, etc. Things that get annoying to drag my laptop out for. I've used iPads (clients') and find 10" a bit bulky to hold and work on for extended use.
    01-13-11 05:49 PM
    I'll have to disagree with the battery life part! Mine only got an average of 9hrs on heavy use! 2 days?? cmon now we all know the bold doesnt get that good of battery life!
    Well it depends on what kind of "heavy use" you're refering to. I barely browse the net, but i'm a heavy texter, emailer, and bbmer. I browse the net maybe once or twice a day just to check stock quotes and a few news sites. I dont have a facebook, twitter, or whatever other social acct that I log onto from my phone.

Example: I woke up at 7 this morning with a full charge. It is now 7:30pm and I have 3 bars left. Now I will charge my phone again tonight right before I go to sleep, but if I didnt, I would be able to last until atleast tomorrow afternoon on my original charge. I've done it before.

Now if you go back and read my post again, you will see that I said "almost 2 days" and not a full 48hrs.
    01-13-11 06:35 PM
    Another thing i didnt care for about a bb WHEN u have a defective one its a pain in th A** swapping everything over!(telling everyone here's my new pin for bbm,pd apps,) to name a couple. I have had the 8330,9630,9650 and I have had defective ones each and everytime.
    It's actually quite fast and easy if you use backup and restore on your BB desktop manager. It transfers over ALL of your info.
    01-13-11 06:37 PM
    I'll have to disagree with the battery life part! Mine only got an average of 9hrs on heavy use! 2 days?? cmon now we all know the bold doesnt get that good of battery life!
    Um, my Torch gets around 10 hours of heavy use, and it's condemned as the worst blackberry in terms of battery life. I know somebody who has a bold 9700 and told me not to use it because it was low on battery because they hadn't charged it in a few days, but it was at 65%!!! And this is somebody who rarely closes their apps, leaving around 8 open apps constantly. If you're only getting 9 hours, you need to get a new battery or delete some battery-guzzling apps!
    01-13-11 07:59 PM
    My list (I have used the iPod touch for about a year, and my brother has an iPhone 4, so I'm judging against iPhone, NOT Android):

- I can't get anything off of an iPod. When my computer died I could just copy-and-paste everything from my blackberry onto my new computer, but with an iPod I can't seem to get any of it onto the new computer!
    - Themes!!!!!
    - When 128GB SD cards are created, I can plug that into my Torch, whereas there's a strict memory limit on iPhones.
    - RIM is not owned by Steve Jobs.
    - iPhone is just the wrong keyboard for me. It's not physical or SureType, so the Torch is much better (In my opinion)
    - RIM will likely get QNX onto their phones, the very OS which Apple is now imitating to improve their iPad/iPhone
    - I hate Apple.
    - iTunes takes about 5-10 minutes to load if you don't have a Mac
    - I want to be able to just click on a link and download an app, not then be transferred to the App Store(tm) and have to download from there
    - Multitasking!!!
    - When my brother was checking to see if he got a callback for a play he'd auditioned for, he was on his iPhone clicking refresh over and over in his inbox. On my berry I can just be playing a game and waiting for the little red LED
    - Apps can be better because they have more integration options
    - Battery lasts a long time
    - If my battery dies, I can simply put a new one in, and if I don't have one, it's a standardized charger, so I can plug it into a charging cable that I have lying around
    - RIM isn't owned by Steve Jobs
    curvedthumb likes this.
    01-13-11 08:13 PM
    My list (I have used the iPod touch for about a year, and my brother has an iPhone 4, so I'm judging against iPhone, NOT Android):

- I can't get anything off of an iPod. When my computer died I could just copy-and-paste everything from my blackberry onto my new computer, but with an iPod I can't seem to get any of it onto the new computer!
    - Themes!!!!!
    - When 128GB SD cards are created, I can plug that into my Torch, whereas there's a strict memory limit on iPhones.
    - RIM is not owned by Steve Jobs.
    - iPhone is just the wrong keyboard for me. It's not physical or SureType, so the Torch is much better (In my opinion)
    - RIM will likely get QNX onto their phones, the very OS which Apple is now imitating to improve their iPad/iPhone
    - I hate Apple.
    - iTunes takes about 5-10 minutes to load if you don't have a Mac
    - I want to be able to just click on a link and download an app, not then be transferred to the App Store(tm) and have to download from there
    - Multitasking!!!
    - When my brother was checking to see if he got a callback for a play he'd auditioned for, he was on his iPhone clicking refresh over and over in his inbox. On my berry I can just be playing a game and waiting for the little red LED
    - Apps can be better because they have more integration options
    - Battery lasts a long time
    - If my battery dies, I can simply put a new one in, and if I don't have one, it's a standardized charger, so I can plug it into a charging cable that I have lying around
    - RIM isn't owned by Steve Jobs
    You shouldn't have to compare it to Android since this thread was about why you wouldn't switch to an iPhone, but unfortunately on this site Android users make Apple users seem tame and shy about their products.

NOW, your torch will NEVER be able to use 128MB MicroSD cards because they wont be Standard SDHC cards which goes to 32GB, SDXC will go from 64GB to 2TB

apart from that, fair list
    01-13-11 08:21 PM
    Here is why I won't go back. Ever.

The iPhone is not a smartphone. It is a heavily media/entertainment based phone that has some smartphone capabilities.

When I think smartphone, I think of a phone that knows what you want to do. It has convenient shortcuts built in to expedite whatever it is that you need to get done. Much like the double space for a period, capitalize the next letter. Sure, the iPhone does that, but it does not learn words, nor does it have AutoText. Those two functions or the ability to learn, are necessary in a "smartphone."

If you want to play music, watch movies, play games, have fart apps, then the iPhone is right up your alley. If you want a device that is geared towards email, communication, business needs, security, etc. then a BlackBerry is perfect for you. When I hear people say that the iPhone is a toy, I have to agree with them. If it looks like a toy, and it acts like a toy, what is it?

+1. I agree with Heavy's points about why I stay with my bb. I wouldn't consider using an iPhone-its just not for me & because in my household, we already have an iPad, iPod Touch & several iPod Nanos. At one point in my life, last year sometime, I *thought* I really wanted one until I got my iTouch. I do like the functions of it, BUT my blackberry does so much more for me I'm not bashing the iPhone-its just not a device that works for ME.

01-13-11 08:36 PM
    I would not want an iphone because it does not even have an indicator light.
    01-13-11 08:48 PM
    you just lack practice
    mittens? want to use your keyboard with this?

01-13-11 09:09 PM
    I would not want an iphone because it does not even have an indicator light.
    True but besides features unique to Blackberry, what does Blackberry have that iPhone doesn't or can do better?
    01-13-11 09:45 PM
    You can't get anything off the iPod? That's more your problem....it isn't hard to do.

Themes? In my experience themes just make most blackberrys worse. I've tried numerous themes on my storm 2 and all of them pretty much cripple the phone. I think my 8703e and 8330 were the only blackberries I had that had no issue with themes.

128gb SD card?? By the time your phone can use it there will most like be 80 and 120 gig iPhones

If RIM was owned by Steve jobs would it be better or worse? Who knows....I don't agree with most of his tactics but he knows how to run a business.

I agree with the keyboard....touch screens aren't for everyone....I regret leaving a keyboard BB for my stupid storm 2

RIM will likely get QNX....how long does RIM expect it's customers to wait around for it while using outdated phones??

I hate Microsoft but I still use windows....I hate activation but I still play their games....I'm not an apple fanboy but I do enjoy some of their products.

I use windows and iTunes loads in a few seconds. I have a nice PC. But it's not a super hardcore gaming machine....to each their own I guess.

Personally I find the iTunes app store to be simple and easy to use. I've been very happy with iTunes and using it with my iPad and iPod. The BB app store is the most ridiculous thing I've ever used...it wouldn't hurt if they took lessons from apple.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch all have multitasking. This is no longer a valid argument.

I admit the red LED feature for BB's is awesome. I will miss that the most.

Apps for BB are just like their phones...behind the times.

Battery swapping would be nice for iPhone but the battery on an iPhone does last for quite sometime. The guy I work with has one and we typically work 12 hour days...I rarely see him complain about his phone being dead or have a low battery whereas my storm 2 struggles...however I do not own an iPhone and I use my phone heavily so I am uncertain about how an iPhone would perform under the same conditions. From what I hear it will in fact do better.

Again I'm not an iPhone or apple fanboy....**** I don't even own an iPhone as I'm on Verizon. However in february when my contract ends I will be ditching BB for either iPhone or android. RIM gave me some good years but the last year they've left me disappointed and my patience depleted.

01-13-11 10:30 PM
    RIM gave me some good years but the last year they've left me disappointed and my patience depleted.
    This seems to be the sentiments of many BB owners and seems to be an increasing trend.
    01-13-11 10:36 PM
168 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD