With iTunes being discussed I thought i'd talk about something about RIM and Apple that I've always found a bit odd: For being such a secure device, RIM seems to let you install anything you want from anywhere you want, at least as far as I could ever tell.

Considering that any app you throw on could be something nefarious I've always been surprised that RIM doesn't lock their devices down tighter than Apple, even though Apple probably does it for financial reasons vs security... I know, you can set permissions on a BB but how many users are techies who even bother with doing that?
    BBs on BES can have the tightened restrictions you ask of. BIS Berries on the other hand, you're free to do whatever you want, more or less.
    01-12-11 07:34 PM
    The sheer stupidity of this post is absolutely mind boggling!
    I completely agree
    01-12-11 07:34 PM
    With iTunes being discussed I thought i'd talk about something about RIM and Apple that I've always found a bit odd: For being such a secure device, RIM seems to let you install anything you want from anywhere you want, at least as far as I could ever tell.

Considering that any app you throw on could be something nefarious I've always been surprised that RIM doesn't lock their devices down tighter than Apple, even though Apple probably does it for financial reasons vs security... I know, you can set permissions on a BB but how many users are techies who even bother with doing that?
    that is always why i laugh at the "security" comments. any user can get fooled into installing an app that does nothing like it was advertised. the same can be said for andoid. Apple in this reguard i think is more secure
    01-12-11 07:38 PM
    1) bbm
    2) Touch Screens blow
    3) I don't give a rip about 100k + apps. I use like 5 and they work good on my bb.
    1) In your opinion

2) In your opinion

3) In your opinion.

=========================

for points one through three, it's all about freedom, for me.

I can do without BBM, thanks to SMS, other IM clients, or internet groups.

I like not having to deal with the potential of bad trackballs/pads (yes, I've read about Trackpad issues on this very site). Touch screens take getting used to, and part of that is a willingness to live with it. Some are willing, some aren't - just a fact of life. Secondly, I like being able to point where I want to point, and access whatever I want. I like using gestures - especially with something like Launcher Pro).

I may not care about all of the apps in the world, but I like having a nice buffet line to try out different ones to aid whatever functionality I'm seeking at a given moment.
    01-12-11 07:39 PM
    I completely agree
    Shocking. You agree on something that is both angry and rude. How unlike you two.
    01-12-11 07:54 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion in this thread, and if you don't agree with it, that is your decision. I have no regrets as to what I have said, and stand by what I have said.
    01-12-11 09:35 PM
    That's fine, Heavy Fluid. But we have no regrets in pointing out whatever it is we don't agree with, or find flaws wherein. And like you, we stand by what we say, or said.
    01-12-11 09:37 PM
    Totally understandable. I had the device, did not like it, and sold it. I felt as though it fell short, for my needs. Not everyone will feel the same way.
    01-12-11 09:53 PM
    No accusations or remonstrations, just justifying the statement.

I was anti-phone. I started out on Model 100 because I did not like the idea of being chained to a desk. Have a Dell Axim - another device with lost potential.

Got the 8330m because my bride wanted me to be able to help her. I have an HP PenTablet. Was not really impressed with the trackball-keyboard thing of the blackberry. Then started researching it. Read Blackberry Planet - and a couple of other books. Changed my perspective.

This Forum has confused function and fashion, I think. September 11, 2001 - Mar 2010 Chilean quake events demonstrated the unique communication (not trendy or gamy) capabilities of the Blackberry.

The different OSes, the different devices and the Carriers are irrelevant compared to the function of being able to communicate when conditions are barely above do-able. The Blackberry does this, was designed to do this and has had other things added while still doing this basic function. I have read the comments "yeah sure if that's all you want" - and I'm afraid it is.

I have watched the pursuit of the Utopian 'Dynabook' since 1983. It ain't out there and never will be, I don't think. But hey let the marketing guys continue - good business and good ideas.

I have a Blackberry, and Axim and a HP Tablet - I don't think I can beat that.

I basically have "always on", "instant on", and then "quickly on" - I am engineer by nature, like the redundancy and cannot understand why people want to leave a Blackberry capability for trendy or gamy functionality.

But someone once told me, "hey, that's why they make Fords and Chevys!"
    But this is why I also will never dump my BB for ..... anything. Don't think anyone can do what Blackberry has done for less. So the other guys came out with different and flashy - but not better. If things go bad, I am going to want to communicate, and Blackberry is my go-to device for that.
    01-12-11 10:51 PM
    If I can strip the excess functionality provided, or offered by iOS, or Android I think I'll have a stellar communication device, also. You discuss fashion vs. function. But, you can't leave out form follows function. And it all comes down to what functions are to be performed on your, or anyone else's behalf. What's better is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm a martial artist, and I like what's most effective for my goals in mind. So, hence, form follows function.
    01-12-11 11:07 PM
    ^^^Well said Algusod.
    First and foremost, BlackBerry is a communications device. It does exactly what I need, exactly the way I need it. I don't give a tinker's cuss about apps or web browsing on my phone. I want emails, sms, BBM and oh yeah, a good phone.

But it suits my needs. Your experience may vary.
    01-12-11 11:17 PM
    I can make an Android, or iPhone as much a communication device, as much as I can make BlackBerry a toy (just not a very fun one, though). I can do emails, I can do IM, SMS, and a good phone (usually tied into manufacturing of actual hardware), too. i could care less about Web browsing as much as the next guy, also. But, at least the capability is there.
    01-12-11 11:28 PM
    I'm a martial artist, and I like what's most effective for my goals in mind. So, hence, form follows function.
    I have no idea how this piece of information will help me understand any of the other things you said?

Or was it meant as a threat, your going to kick my *** if i disagree?
    01-13-11 12:17 AM
    No, not a threat at all. The one who posted right before I made that comment, said he was an engineer. I was just toying with the idea of putting what he does for a living as a way of proving his point about using a blackberry over anything else.

I was just making a point/fun.

As a martial artist, people will look for what's most effective: whether it's delivery platform (stance), or tools (strikes, holds, positions, etc). More importantly are the training methods employed to achieve a given objective in training. Ring fighting (Mixed Martial Arts, Boxing, Collegiate Wrestling, etc.) has different contextual requirements from something like reality-based self defense, or Scenario-driven training. Phones are almost the same thing.

deRusset mentioned something a while back about using the phone in the cold, and because of that, he rarely recommends a full touch screen for himself, and others in a similar situation (context). Others, like myself, will think about the contexts (situations) we find ourselves, and might actually find a touch screen more relevant. Secondly, our goals are slightly different. Because of this, we require different forms based on the ultimate effectiveness for our given situations.

In Martial Arts, some practitioners will go beyond simply training, and performing movements by rote. Instead, they'll investigate their given style or art to its fullest, and find ways to bend it to its breaking point. Think of arts and styles like you would smart phone platforms. Some arts encourage "soul searching" some might not (for what reason, I don't know). Since I've messed with Linux, learning more about whatever it is I'm working with has motivated me into the direction I'm currently in.

When it came to making the decision to go from BB, to Android, being able to have similar control attracted me. Thinking back I said the same thing when I still had my blackberry: the only way I'd consider an android is if my tinker side was tickled, and it was. In this sense, or context (my wanting to tinker) Android was surely the way to go.

The other thing I learned most throughout my Martial Arts journey - particularly the one in Bruce Lee's art of Jeet Kune Do (yes, it's an art, and a style; and it's not certainly anything you want it to be..) is adaptability. Hence, you'll often see me making the argument about how adaptive any platform is. At the same time, though, things can be clearly more effective than others, regardless of context.

That's all I'm saying by making the martial arts reference.
    Last edited by lssanjose; 01-13-11 at 12:34 AM.
    01-13-11 12:30 AM
    As a martial artist, people will look for what's most effective: whether it's delivery platform (stance), or tools (strikes, holds, positions, etc). More importantly are the training methods employed to achieve a given objective in training. Ring fighting (Mixed Martial Arts, Boxing, Collegiate Wrestling, etc.) has different contextual requirements from something like reality-based self defense, or Scenario-driven training. Phones are almost the same thing.
    Yes. Phones look at most effective way to do reality-based self defence. I think that's why most people leave symbian alone nowadays. Only the pure massochist would try it.

In Martial Arts, some practitioners will go beyond simply training, and performing movements by rote. Instead, they'll investigate their given style or art to its fullest, and find ways to bend it to its breaking point. Think of arts and styles like you would smart phone platforms. Some arts encourage "soul searching" some might not (for what reason, I don't know). Since I've messed with Linux, learning more about whatever it is I'm working with has motivated me into the direction I'm currently in.
    Linux has motivated you to compare martial arts with phones... Wow... that's a revelation to me

When it came to making the decision to go from BB, to Android, being able to have similar control attracted me. Thinking back I said the same thing when I still had my blackberry: the only way I'd consider an android is if my tinker side was tickled, and it was. In this sense, or context (my wanting to tinker) Android was surely the way to go.
    sorry my bad... i read "wanking my tinker".

The other thing I learned most throughout my Martial Arts journey - particularly the one in Bruce Lee's art of Jeet Kune Do (yes, it's an art, and a style; and it's not certainly anything you want it to be..) is adaptability. Hence, you'll often see me making the argument about how adaptive any platform is. At the same time, though, things can be clearly more effective than others, regardless of context.

That's all I'm saying by making the martial arts reference.
    yeah... that never came from the ground did it? dunno of a lot of jkd fighters compared to wing chun or karate.
    01-13-11 01:33 AM
    my Reasons why I would never Leave Blackberry for an iPhone

-> iTunes

-> No Physical keyboard

-> iTunes

-> Non standard Charge point

-> iTunes

-> Lack of Drag & Drop / Mass storage mode
    i agree with you totally except you forgot about one thing..... iTunes...its the worst!
    01-13-11 01:59 AM
    propa, I think he actually overemphasized iTunes to make the same point. He said reasons why he would NEVER leave BB for an iPhone.
    01-13-11 02:01 AM
    propa, I think he actually overemphasized iTunes to make the same point. He said reasons why he would NEVER leave BB for an iPhone.
    I think he knows that
    01-13-11 02:06 AM
    I think he knows that
    I'm thinking back, he probably does, but then why mention iTunes in that tone, when deRusset made his point well. Oh well.
    01-13-11 02:11 AM
    Imo, I think Blackberry is more a practical phone. It handles messaging very well and that's what most of us use our phone for really, communication. Battery life is great and call quality is exceptional. GPS and web browsing is secondary and gaming comes last on the list of things I would use my phone for.

I think iPhone is an awesome phone too but it's just not for me. It's great to see the choices we have for phones though.
    01-13-11 02:22 AM
    I'm thinking back, he probably does, but then why mention iTunes in that tone, when deRusset made his point well. Oh well.
    to overemphasize it. BTW you can hire me to explain these kinds of things. $20 an hour. It's money well spend.

Like i can tell you that nigerians actually don't want to transfer you a lot of money.
    01-13-11 02:23 AM

Yes I touche calendar and clock,.,,,BB is a failure
    01-13-11 02:24 AM
    to overemphasize it. BTW you can hire me to explain these kinds of things. $20 an hour. It's money well spend.

Like i can tell you that nigerians actually don't want to transfer you a lot of money.
    Maybe you can hire me to help your spelling, and reading comprehension. But, I charge a pretty penny, actually; and, my patience runs very thinly.
    01-13-11 02:31 AM
    Maybe you can hire me to help your spelling, and reading comprehension. But, I charge a pretty penny, actually; and, my patience runs very thinly.
    Perhaps I can provide you those services
    Last edited by justice-strike; 01-13-11 at 02:42 AM.
    01-13-11 02:38 AM
    I would never trade my BlackBerry for an iPhone because:

-I, too, hate iTunes.
    -I don't like trying to use touchscreens in the rain.
    -I can't use a touchscreen with gloves or mittens on.
    -The call quality when my friends with iPhones call me is horrible.
    -It's called an 'iPhone'.
    -Candybars are for eating, not for phoning.
    -There's no clamshell iPhone.
    -I have nothing against people with iPhones, but I cant stand iPhone/Apple fanboys.
    -No removable battery. Seriously.
    -Steve Jobs freaks me out.
    -I'm on Sprint and I don't want to leave Sprint because I like my service and Sprint will get the iPhone at around the same time that BB and Android users get along on this forum.
    757EliasHZ likes this.
    01-13-11 04:16 AM
168 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD