Let me start off by saying that this is not an "iphone bash thread". I actually think the phone is pretty neat. Its just not for me.

Practicality - Of all the cell phones I have owned over the past 12yrs or so, I find the BB to be the easiest/most pleasant phone to operate. Everything is so simple and doesnt require 2-3 steps to unlock, make a phone call, or create a email/text. I can operate it with one hand with ease.

Size - My BB Bold 9650 is in my opinion the perfect size mobile device. Not too wide or long. I contemplated a while back on getting the Droid X and found it to be WAY too big for a mobile device. It was a few inches smaller than that of a tablet...lol. Although the iphone is of decent size, I still find it easier to hold my bb in my hand and operate it.

Trackpad - I just love having a trackpad. It keeps the screen fingerprint free! I owned a droid incredible for a few months before running back to my Bold and couldnt stand the constant fingerprints on the screen. I found myself having to wipe the screen against my shirt everytime prior to using it. Quite annoying. Not sure how the iphone holds up to fingerprints on the screen, but since its a touchscreen I can only assume it's screen is a fingerprint magnet.

Messaging capabilites - Hands down the BB is the most reliable device as far as messaging capabilities are concerned. I dont think this can be disputed. BBM, Push emails, sms/mms. Its great.

Battery life - Now this is one of the most important factors when it comes to mobile devices. I get almost 2 days under heavy usage with a full charge. Not too many (if any) smart phones can say the same about thier device.

Appearance - My BB just looks so proffesional. It doesnt come across as a mobile device/portable game console. Its a workhorse that can be relied upon for serious business users.

Physical Qwerty Keyboard - I type much faster and accurate with a physical qwerty keyboard than I do with a touchscreen.

Now there are a few things that I did wish my BB did have, but in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to my phone.
    Last edited by deevel79; 01-12-11 at 12:50 PM.
    rafishinoda likes this.
    01-12-11 11:43 AM
    Interesting. If that's all you want why didn't you stick with an 8330, 8830 or older device. It does all that, minus the trackpad. If fact, 8330 has better battery life, is smaller, and has all the messaging capabilities.

I don't buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 11:48 AM
    Interesting. If that's all you want why didn't you stick with an 8330, 8830 or older device. It does all that, minus the trackpad. If fact, 8330 has better battery life, is smaller, and has all the messaging capabilities.

I don't buy it.

Hmmm......Maybe because those devices are obselete?

I had the Tour with the HORRENDOUS trackball ball and was due for an upgrade. So why not?

Dumb question.....
    qblynn and buwee like this.
    01-12-11 11:52 AM
    If those are your stated goals, then the Bold fits you perfectly. I can live with any phone, really. The only thing keeping me from an iPhone is the lack of a removable battery. The lack of an SD card can be an actual benefit if you think about the I/O technology in smart phones. This, or the fact some phone manufacturers hook people up with low end SD cards, anyways (think about the different SD card classes). Also, some will love, or hate the Apple ecosystem. I like having control, or a good deal of it, at least.
    01-12-11 11:53 AM
    So you upgraded for a trackpad and wifi only? I can understand that though. You didn't mention that in your OP about why you prefer your BlackBerry over iPhone.

01-12-11 11:54 AM
    my Reasons why I would never Leave Blackberry for an iPhone

-> iTunes

-> No Physical keyboard

-> iTunes

-> Non standard Charge point

-> iTunes

-> Lack of Drag & Drop / Mass storage mode
    howarmat and BBRYCnvnedMe like this.
    01-12-11 11:57 AM
    So you upgraded for a trackpad and wifi only? I can understand that though. You didn't mention that in your OP about why you prefer your BlackBerry over iPhone.

Ummm.... I upgraded because I was due for an upgrade and I was sick of having to return my Tour due to its faulty trackball issues. Being the Bold 9650 was next in line, why not get it.

I can care less about wifi. I never use it anyway.

Are these serious questions you're asking me? If so, why do u sound so bitter about the reasons why I like my phone?
    01-12-11 11:58 AM
    LOL! Not an iTune fan then?

01-12-11 11:58 AM
    Ummm.... I upgraded because I was due for an upgrade and I was sick of having to return my Tour due to its faulty trackball issues. Being the Bold 9650 was next in line, why not get it.

I can care less about wifi. I never use it anyway.

Are these serious questions you're asking me? If so, why do u sound so bitter about why I like my phone?
    Bitter? This is a forum for discussion. I'm just asking you questions because I don't understand your point of view. isn't that why you posted? Or did you not want any replies except those that agree with you?

You upgraded for a trackpad, but lost battery life.

01-12-11 11:59 AM

-> iTunes

-> iTunes

-> iTunes

Those are big ones. I like being able to just put some files I want on there. My sister bypasses iTunes for her iPod Touch, though. So I wonder if it'll be different if she goes to an iPhone next month (which I know she will as she's hung onto that storm of hers for as long as she's had).

I really don't like over-standardization, but charging port uniformity is NICE.
    01-12-11 12:02 PM
    Bitter? This is a forum for discussion. I'm just asking you questions because I don't understand your point of view. isn't that why you posted? Or did you not want any replies except those that agree with you?

He only likes his ears tickled; and choir-preaching, I guess.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-12-11 12:03 PM

Once again. I upgraded because it was the next RIM device after my tour. Yes the trackpad is nice as well. If you havent noticed, RIM no longer makes trackballs, so I guess that doesnt leave me with much options does it?

As for battery life, I feel 2 days is more than sufficient enough for me compared to other smart phones on the market right now.
    01-12-11 12:04 PM
    I think what deRusett is getting at and this is one reason I will not go to an iPhone is I want to be able to choose how I place the music on my phone or where I buy my music. I don't want Apple telling how I have to.

With my BlackBerry I open Windows explorer, drap and drop my music and I'm done. No iTunes BS to deal with.

I also want to choose where I buy my apps. I don't want to HAVE to go through Apple.
    01-12-11 12:06 PM
    Now there are a few things that I did wish my BB did have, but in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to my phone.
    care to discuss those things?
    negritude likes this.
    01-12-11 12:06 PM

I don't buy it.

Track pad/ Wifi / and different Keyboard are all reasons to have changed,
    He goes on to saying that he likes the size of his 9650, I loved the size of my 9630 over my 8330 and I carried both at the same time, the difference in width and thickness was just enough to greatly increase the pleasure of using the devices, the 8330 did have the better trackball, and thus having a trackpad on the 9650 does make it more appealing over the 8330.

The photo's taken with the 96XX vs the 83XX also were of better quality, another reason to upgrade.

FEEL is a very subjective term when it comes to phones, just like pants!
    lssanjose likes this.
    01-12-11 12:07 PM
    No, that's being bitter.

01-12-11 12:08 PM

Actually no. I dont own an ipod and never listen to music while walking, or commuting to work by train, bus, etc.. I like to be alert to my surroundings.

Now when i'm in my car, I'll listen to music.
    01-12-11 12:08 PM
    Track pad/ Wifi / and different Keyboard are all reasons to have changed,
    He goes on to saying that he likes the size of his 9650, I loved the size of my 9630 over my 8330 and I carried both at the same time, the difference in width and thickness was just enough to greatly increase the pleasure of using the devices, the 8330 did have the better trackball, and thus having a trackpad on the 9650 does make it more appealing over the 8330.

The photo's taken with the 96XX vs the 83XX also were of better quality, another reason to upgrade.

FEEL is a very subjective term when it comes to phones, just like pants!
    You listed great reasons to have upgraded from Tour to Bold. I was just going my what the OP said in his OP. He listed reasons that apply to older BlackBerry phones. It seems like he just wanted those features and not what an iPhone/Android or even newer BlackBerry offers.

01-12-11 12:10 PM

you pick up on the subtle cues

Those are big ones. I like being able to just put some files I want on there. My sister bypasses iTunes for her iPod Touch, though. So I wonder if it'll be different if she goes to an iPhone next month (which I know she will as she's hung onto that storm of hers for as long as she's had).

I really don't like over-standardization, but charging port uniformity is NICE.
    I used a few different softwares to bypass iTunes when I carried my iPod touch trying to find a reason to like the hardware, but ultimately every OS upgrade of the iPod touch broke the software used to bypass the iTunes, and I never found one that looked good that said it could be used on the iPhone..
    I like many things being standardized, I chanced from a BlueAnt Q1 to a BlueAnt T1 ONLY because of the charging port being microUSB, the more devices that can switch the better for me, if Garmin wasn't so stupid I'd have changed my Garmin charger into a MicroUSB from MiniUSB.

I think what deRusett is getting at and this is one reason I will not go to an iPhone is I want to be able to choose how I place the music on my phone or where I buy my music. I don't want Apple telling how I have to.

With my BlackBerry I open Windows explorer, drap and drop my music and I'm done. No iTunes BS to deal with.

I also want to choose where I buy my apps. I don't want to HAVE to go through Apple.
    Actually Music has very little do to do with my needs, I keep less than 60 songs on my Blackberry, BUT Apple doesn't like AudioBooks that are not iTunes AudioBooks, iTunes doesn't support Office documents so I need a 3rd Party document syncing tool, AND! I have 6 computers, I don't want to keep the same files on every computer just to sync stuff onto my mobile device.
    in addition I don't like how Apple Sorts files, I keep folders for different purposes, on different machines for audio, I want to drag and drop that folder depending on my needs, and when I change it, it is a full delete and drag and drop onto the device.
    Last edited by deRusett; 01-12-11 at 12:18 PM.
    01-12-11 12:16 PM
    As IT support for a variety of clients, I enjoy supporting my clients' Blackberries, iPhones, and Andriod phones. Personally, I use a Torch (9800) and love it. The other phones have great features, but don't work for me. I think the iPhone4 is the best-looking phone ever made. Reasons I prefer my Torch are:

1. Physical keyboard. This makes typing emails, etc so much easier. Sure, I'd get used to a virtual keyboard, but I don't like the feel of them. Portrait Slider form works best for me.

2. LED notification. May seem silly, but I love that a quick glance at my phone tells me if I have a notification waiting.

3. Email/messaging. As said, I can get to emails, etc faster on my BB than on an iPhone or 'driod. Also, I don't like how sending emails is done on the other phones. I run into SMTP setting issues all the time with small businesses whose mail servers can't be used on the other phones. Blackberry makes it easy with their setup. Too many times clients and friends have sent emails from their phones that the recipient never received. Just not as dependable as BB.

Now, there are plenty of things I wish my BB did better, but the pros far outweigh the cons for my needs.

I admit I recommend an iPhone a lot to my friends, though. It tends to suit their personal needs.
    01-12-11 12:17 PM
    He only likes his ears tickled; and choir-preaching, I guess.
    Maybe he didn't like her saying "I don't buy it" in response to his saying what he prefers for his cell phone. That would annoy me.
    01-12-11 12:27 PM
    Hmmm......Maybe because those devices are obselete?

I had the Tour with the HORRENDOUS trackball ball and was due for an upgrade. So why not?

Dumb question.....
    And that's why you got another BB? You were doing well up until this point.

I'm just joking.
    01-12-11 12:30 PM
    Reason why I wont dump blackberry for an iPhone is I want to pay premium prices for 2007 hardware and because the iPhone is a toy

alby4ever likes this.
    01-12-11 01:54 PM
    I can see myself with an iPhone and potentially dropping my BlackBerry for it and if not carrying both, but never for a Android!
    01-12-11 02:03 PM

-> iTunes

-> No Physical keyboard

-> iTunes

-> iTunes

I have to give it up... my thoughts exactly. They do everything against the grain in my opinion and yet the people flock to it, it scares me at times.
    01-12-11 02:05 PM
168 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD