I am a BlackBerry/RIM fan. I enjoy their products, the top notch security, and the fact that BlackBerry phones look different. I am one who could care less about apps or a super fast browser, just as long as my phone acts as a phone.

Now, to why I am glad my phone is different . The other day I was hanging out with some friends, who all have the same Android phone (EVO). Everyone had their phones laying out while we conversated. When everyone left, a friend that was with me asked me if I knew where their phone was and I said no. I called their phone but we did not hear it ring. Needless to say, another friend picked up their phone, thinking it was theirs, and did not realize they had two phones in their pocket....lol!

I am rooting for RIM to be successful, but I must admit that I like not having the same phone as everyone else. I am ok if BlackBerry devices are not #1 or #2, they do not need to be. My hope for BB10 devices are that they look different than other devices out there (which can be hard when most of them are all slabs) and they continue to provide top notch security!
    05-21-12 10:39 AM
    You hit the nail on the head by saying it acts as a phone. If my calls go through than guess what it is a good device. I dont need to watch TV or pay my bills with a phone.
    Good for you. Be different BlackBerry Rules.
    05-21-12 10:44 AM
    They could have checked their walls at least, lol.

I agree though. I use my BlackBerry as a phone and messaging device first and foremost.

Although I do also use it to pay bills, stay organized, listen to music, gps, geocache etc. But those are really secondary.
    rdrobinson likes this.
    05-21-12 10:47 AM
    Different colored cases work good, along with putting a big fat sticker on your luggage, or a tennis ball on your car antenna..

But I agree with the OP... I like BB's for the security first and formost, and it does look different, which I like too.
    05-21-12 11:37 AM
    To me, the fact that my phone is not what everybody else has to have is just part of its allure. When I got my first BB, it's because it was a smart phone in a sea of dumb phones. Now it's a smart phone in a sea of what everybody else thinks are smarter phones. I don't care. But if tomorrow everybody all of a sudden wants a BlackBerry, I'd still like my BlackBerry, but probably just a little bit less. I'm just silly like that.
    05-21-12 01:36 PM
    I'm like that too.
    Like I want BB10 to do good, but not that good in a sense
    that everyone and their mothers will have a BB10 phone.
    Last night with friends at the table there were 5 white iphone4s and
    my 9810 alone just the way I like it
    05-21-12 02:12 PM
    I still think that BlackBerry devices are some of the best looking devices on the market. I can't help but notice them when I see others who have them. I am not really concerned about the number of people who have them. As long as I have one in my hands, I'm happy. I also believe that BlackBerry phones have a lot of capabilities, but what makes them great is that the focus is on the things that I appreciate the most, like efficiency and staying connected. I have an 8330 and think it is one of the most amazing devices that I have ever had.
    sleepngbear and grover5 like this.
    05-21-12 02:22 PM
    I agree. I love the look of my 9900 much more than many of the other slab type phones. I also like having something that isn't used by many of my peers. I use mine for messaging (email, text, IM) first and foremost. That being said I also use it a lot for facebook and twitter, browsing the web, listening to music, editing excel, word and power point docs, posting on crackberry via the awesome forums app and as a phone. I don't care if they're number one either. I just want them to continue to exist so I can buy the new one when I'm done with my 9900.
    kbz1960, Eli_B and shemaree09 like this.
    05-21-12 02:39 PM
    Yes sir, membership has its privileges, and rarely, if ever, is membership offered to the simple masses.

"BlackBerry, for the privileged silent minority; for everyone else, there's everything else."
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 05-21-12 at 03:03 PM.
    05-21-12 03:01 PM
    Sounds a little childish, but sometimes I zone out and just stare at my phone, not simply because I love my berry (but that is part of it), but more because there is something soothing about its lines. Almost peaceful. I wonder if that is why BB people "do"... because the simple, ergonomic-esque, curvy design of a CrackBerry helps people focus and then keep pushing through the work they must do. With an effortless experience for messaging.

Anyway... I really hope as well, that BB10 phones offer this same calm that the 9930 offers.
    05-21-12 07:41 PM
    Be different, be bold. BlackBerry's geter done in different style.
    05-21-12 08:17 PM
    Honestly, with all the phones I come into contact with regularly I never pay much attention to any
    of them or make a mental comparison to what I have. I use what works for me and assume others
    do the same. Leaves me one less trivial thing to consider.

I am one who could care less...
    COULD NOT care less Sorry, pet peeve
    05-21-12 08:27 PM
    I use my BlackBerry because it is what works for me. I could not care less care if 90% of humanity uses iPhone and Android because I don't like them. Period! I don't care if BlackBerry is not #1 because I know that RIM will always be in the market regardless of what the mindless naysayers may think. Rim is a financially sound company and they do not have to appeal to everyone. In fact, it is a serious mistake for any company to try to be all things to all people. Frankly, my needs, though selfish, are all I care about when it comes to what device I choose to use. I started with a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 a long time ago and fell in love with BlackBerry. I'm sure that BlackBerry and I will have a long and satisfying relationship and I am confident that RIM will continue to produce a superior (in my not so humble opinion) product.
    05-22-12 02:37 PM
    just as long as my phone acts as a phone.
    Here ya go!

05-22-12 11:23 PM
    Most people see my phone as just another blackberry but when I start swiping the screen they're amazed that its a touchscreen. I got 2 compliments at a party the other night.
    One from a dumbphone user and another from a 4s user.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-22-12 11:32 PM
    As much as smartphones do many things... it does come down to perception...I was watching CNN when they were discussing the Facebook IPO and one of the Analysts was waving his Blackberry on the screen and he made an intersting comment.... Many viewers were tweeting... " you still use a Blackberry?"..... This is what RIM is up against.... I have sold 10 Playbooks in my community to people looking to buy Ipads.... simply by "showing" them what it can do.... This when as back when they were regular price... Same with my 9800... I tell them go check out the BB7 phones.... many end up buying one..... So yes having something that looks unique is improtant but having one the does things uniquely is equally improtant.....
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-22-12 11:51 PM
    I am a BlackBerry/RIM fan. I enjoy their products, the top notch security, and the fact that BlackBerry phones look different. I am one who could care less about apps or a super fast browser, just as long as my phone acts as a phone.

Now, to why I am glad my phone is different . The other day I was hanging out with some friends, who all have the same Android phone (EVO). Everyone had their phones laying out while we conversated. When everyone left, a friend that was with me asked me if I knew where their phone was and I said no. I called their phone but we did not hear it ring. Needless to say, another friend picked up their phone, thinking it was theirs, and did not realize they had two phones in their pocket....lol!

I am rooting for RIM to be successful, but I must admit that I like not having the same phone as everyone else. I am ok if BlackBerry devices are not #1 or #2, they do not need to be. My hope for BB10 devices are that they look different than other devices out there (which can be hard when most of them are all slabs) and they continue to provide top notch security!

I can't agree with you more. Everywhere I go and especially at my work, I see literally everyone with an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, iPhone is a wonderful hardware, but I, hands down, choose BB any time. Why? Cuz they got class

Sent from ERain's CrackBerry 9930
    05-28-12 08:25 PM
    I completely agree!

In the world of iPhones and Androids I love having something different.

Especially with iPhones. I still don't understand how they are considered so "cool" or a luxury item when EVERYbody including Grandmas have them! Lol

They aren't exclusive, limited, and don't cost a lot to own.

Personally, i love owning different gadgets. I get bored very quickly.

I love my Blackberry, Zune, Sansa, Playbook, and PC. I want to get a Mac one day too.

Being different is cool to me. I think it says a lot about your personality, and how you aren't afraid to be for yourself and not follow the crowd.

I own these things because I want to, not because I feel like I should.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-29-12 05:57 AM
    I'm like that too.
    Like I want BB10 to do good, but not that good in a sense
    that everyone and their mothers will have a BB10 phone.
    Last night with friends at the table there were 5 white iphone4s and
    my 9810 alone just the way I like it
    Personally I enjoy the OP's story and I too like that my BB is different. BUT as a stock holder... I do want everybody and their mother to buy BB's, Playbooks and anything RIM.

I love the spirit of being different but I like the idea of selling a (b u t t) load of BB's too.

HA!
    05-29-12 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD