I am on Rogers network in Canada, i travel abroad frequently... it is true, the data rate for international roaming is $0.03/ kB... so 1MB of data is $30.72
    Once i had to download my flight itinerary over the mobile network while i was in mexico (they dont have readily available wifi like we do in Canada)... that was an $80 price tag just so i could get the information to fly home.. ouch!

secondly, something has to of happened, someone may have switched on the mobile network to make a phone call lets say, and once it connected maybe there were some pictures on BBM waiting to pass to the device, etc... turning off the mobile network connection is not exactly a good failsafe... going into the settings and also turning off data while roaming is a MUST as someone else has said.

Maybe a good question for her would be "did you bring your device with you everywhere you went? were you able to BBM/ receive messages the whole time?" that would be a good place to start considering she is probably not a techie.

I know in order for her to even be using BBM over wifi that the data setting in mobile connections would have to of been left on, maybe someone overlooked the "data while roaming" setting underneath it? Live and learn... hope rogers will work with you a bit more than just allowing you to pay 225$ to cover 75MB of it...
    I appreciate your insight , i have tested a few scenarios as i have a 9900 myself , However once mobile networks are off , it doesn't matter if data roaming is on or not , no BBMs or Emails leave the phone. And as you can imagine a 65 year old woman with her first smartphone she doesn't BBM or email that much , if at all. if either me or my sister send her a message we may not get a reply for days , that should give you an indication of how lite a use she really is.

The problem i have is this.

I am a medium to heavy user , i use my phone daily for calls , BBMs , Email ( god alot of emails) , texts , Picture messageing and so on. I accumulate maybe 20-30MB a month ,

My mother i a new to Blackberry and the Smartphone market , and she rarely uses BBM ( like i said could be days to get a reply) , and i m sure she receives emails but i know she does not reply to them on the phone , she is not used to the keyboard. So all in all she is a very very lite user . Now she knows how to make sure she is the mobile network check box is off , so i know its not connecting. and she knows how to connect to wifi.

Now i also looked at the current bill to determine the data usage and yes i have detailed billing ,so i see all the goodies . and there are days of 10mb and days of 10KB , and other days of 40 mb , doesn't make sense for a phone that is hardly used .
    11-09-12 10:45 AM
    You have a good case to bring to Rogers right there as that is probably what your going to have to do. You're probably going to have to keep going at them until you get a manager with some common sense though as these guys have to follow their guidelines. As you said, something's fishy. I recently moved my cable and internet (internet big mistake btw) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was talking to someone in Gander Newfoundland, maybe their billing people are there too. I like Newfies as they are usually a common sense no bs kind of people, this could work to your advantage, they do know a thing or two about fishy lol.
    11-09-12 11:21 AM
    i have been talking to rogers for the better part of 4 hrs now. and i am still hitting my head against a wall.
    11-09-12 11:33 AM
    i have been talking to rogers for the better part of 4 hrs now. and i am still hitting my head against a wall.
    REALLY feel you're pain, don't give up! Good luck to ya, you're gonna need it
    11-09-12 11:50 AM
    so that session is done , they at this moment will not do anything about it. SO i will try again later today or Monday and see if i can get through to someone.
    11-09-12 11:51 AM
    so that session is done , they at this moment will not do anything about it. SO i will try again later today or Monday and see if i can get through to someone.
    Yep, wait for the next shift. Don't give up! This whole roaming issue is friggin' baloney anyways. They get charged through the nose also but maybe they don't want to lose your business either. Again good luck
    11-09-12 12:01 PM
31 12