Hey! I really like the look of the Bold 9000. I like the fact that its large, with a big keyboard and I think it looks really good. My friend's Mother has one also, and he says he really likes it, and he isn't really a fan of BB.

I buy phones REALLY often, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I just really like the look of this phone. Everyone where I live has the SAME Blackberry, and I kinda want something different. A lot of people I know have had the Bold 9700, and it has thrown problems at them. But then, saying that, I see a lot of people complaining about the phone I have when I've run into NO problems, so meh.

Is it a problem that it's old? How does it work with Apps etc? I don't care about memory and all of that. I don't even use many apps, I use my BB for the texting and emailing capabilities.

At the moment I have the Curve 9300, I just want something more business-like now, I've always been a sucker for things like that.

Any thoughts would be good!
    09-23-11 01:28 PM
    If you like the 9000 then you'll love the 9900.

Oh & the 9000 is old.....
    09-23-11 01:32 PM
    Why not get a 9900 or 9930 depending on your carrier? The 9900/9930 is based off of the 9000 design. It has almost identical framework, but instead of a trackball, it has a touchpad, it has a larger screen that is a touchscreen, slightly wider keyboard, and has a lot better specs.
    09-23-11 01:33 PM
    That does look like a nice phone, and I have looked into it. I prefer to buy my phones SIM Free though, and then buy the packages I want. If I was to get the 9900, I'd have to get a contract, or shell out a lot of money :P
    09-23-11 01:34 PM
    Yes it's a dated phone, HOWEVER that does not mean you won't get a lot of value and use out of it. You should be able to find one fairly inexpensively. Now keep in mind that it had a trackball, NOT a trackpad, and that WILL take an adjustment. And while the processor (the "brains") of the device are pretty good, it's app or working memory is pretty low, so you will need to limit the 3rd party apps, and make sure to practice good memory management, that is closing unused apps, and deleting apps you don't really use. That all being said I don't think it's a bad move, the 9000 is/was a great phone it's the first BB that really made me salivate when it was announced and as it first came out! I ended up getting the BB Storm, WHAT a mistake THAT was, BUT that is a story for another day!
    09-23-11 01:36 PM
    Yes, they really are falling by the wayside, and the trackball is a weak spot, considering most 9000s are at least 3+ years old.

HOWEVER: it is still a great device with stable OS builds available. You may want to avoid OS 5, and stick with 4.5. Just recognize that many apps nowadays no longer support those OS versions, and RIM is no longer releasing builds for them. You can still get spare trackballs for them, but for how long, I'm not sure.

Why not look into the 9900? It's got the width and height of the original 9000, with touchscreen and trackpad, the best keyboard ever, and runs OS7. It is the current flagship "business" BlackBerry.
    09-23-11 01:38 PM
    Geez! There were no replies when I started composing mine...
    09-23-11 01:42 PM
    Whew, thanks for the replies everyone!

Like I said, I have looked at the 9900 already. Seen the adverts, been on it's webpage etc. But also note, I said I change my phone fairly often. Therefore, opening a contract is not something I feel I want to do. What I prefer to do, is buy a phone, then have a package deal thing. For example, Im with Ht3 right now, on a Sim only PAYG plan. I get unlimited internet, texts and 300 mins (Don't use phone too much) for �15 per month, but only if I pay it. Kind of like a contract but not tied to anything, and I have to get my own phone, which I prefer.
    So, a 9900 is out of the question, until I decide whether or not I want a contract. Until then, I am seriously considering the 9000! I just love it's business like looks; Im sure I could get used to the trackball also.
    09-23-11 01:50 PM
    The Bold 9000 was the first, and really only BB that I really desired up until the 99XX series. I've always been on CDMA carriers, so it really sucked that I couldn't get that 9000 form factor on VZW. I swore that if BB were to ever bring out that form factor on CDMA that I'd be all over it. Once that 9930 dropped, I jumped on it a couple weeks later. I simply love that design. The 9000 is still an awesome looking device, and I'm sure you could pick one up for a reasonable price. Like it's already been stated, the memory on the device is it's weakness. With 128mb of space you won't be able to load a bunch of apps on it, but you can get by with some of the major ones, FB, Twitter, etc. I say if you can find one in good condition for a good price, jump on it. You won't be disappointed.

HOWEVER: it is still a great device with stable OS builds available. You may want to avoid OS 5, and stick with 4.5.
    The 9000 shipped with 4.6, so 4.5 isn't available for it. I loaded 5.0 on my buddy's 9000, and he hasn't had any major issues with it. It does limit memory considerably more than 4.6, so be aware of that.
    09-23-11 02:19 PM
    I can buy one mint condition for �180, probably could find a better price if I look around. I think I might just get it! I've looked it up and a lot of people seem happy with it.
    09-23-11 02:23 PM
    My buddy loves his. It's his first BB, and it's the one that I recommended to him 2 years ago when he was looking for his first smartphone. I was always jealous that he had that one... Now he's jealous of me with my 9930, and he's still waiting for ATT to launch the 9900... Not that it matters or anything...

Check around for prices and stuff and go for it. It may be an older device, but it's one of the best IMO. Plus, we're always here if you run into any issues with it.
    09-23-11 02:33 PM
    Haha, I am getting more an more convinced now! I will go for it I think. If I get any problems there's always Google, and of course Crackberry XD
    09-23-11 02:36 PM
    Whoops! Meant 4.6!
    09-23-11 02:55 PM
    I would go with the 9000 if you want it. Great device, and I wanted one for the longest time. You should be able to find one for a decent price if you look hard enough.
    09-23-11 03:28 PM
    I had been using one for the last year or so and worked great for my needs. And I wasn't even getting 3g, just EDGE. OS 5 has worked fine for me. Make sure to use Shrink-a-os or something to get rid of unneeded files.
    09-23-11 03:44 PM
    I can buy one mint condition for �180, probably could find a better price if I look around. I think I might just get it! I've looked it up and a lot of people seem happy with it.
    I used a 9000 prior to November 2011. It was not bad. The limitations were low memory and poor battery life. I was able to make the device useful by shrinking the OS. I frequently had to switch the mobile network options from 3G & 2G to 2G only, since the battery life was poor on 3G. The 9700 uses the same battery as the 9000, but it lasts much longer on 3G than the 9000 did.

�180 is really expensive for a used 9000. I'd suggest checking eBay to see what the devices have sold for. Even $180 would seem expensive to me for such an old device.
    09-23-11 04:04 PM
    Why not get a 9900 or 9930 depending on your carrier? The 9900/9930 is based off of the 9000 design. It has almost identical framework, but instead of a trackball, it has a touchpad, it has a larger screen that is a touchscreen, slightly wider keyboard, and has a lot better specs.
    Second that! Have had a play with a friends Bold 9000 and it's nice. But the 9900 is so much better!
    09-23-11 04:06 PM
    9000 is a great phone. I still have mine as a backup. I would go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. You say you don't use a lot of apps so memory won't be a problem. My trackball works flawlessly, just keep it clean. Enjoy your new BB!
    09-23-11 04:28 PM
    The 9000 is a fantastic phone if you setup your software properly and use a minimum number of apps. Limited app space is the only Achilles heel with the 9000. The 9000 is very easy to work on should you need a new trackball etc. I have seen them for $219 brand new in the box, for being off contract that is a great deal for a new device. Maybe you could find a model with more memory but physically the 9000 is the best device RIM ever made, or will make.

The JSL v7.0 Hybrid OS will make it perform like a newer device. Anyone says different is using junky bloated software. Battery life is fantastic with the JSL hybrid. Browsing speed is great as long as you keep the memory at about 45mb after a fresh reboot. Letting MemoryUp and NetworkAcc run in the back ground eliminate any need to reboot and keep the memory in the high 30s after days of use.

It is also the best sounding device RIM will ever make.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 09-23-11 at 04:36 PM.
    09-23-11 04:30 PM
    It's a BlackBerry that will do texting, calling, emails, and BBM all very well. And it's affordable! A great first BlackBerry in my opinion. I started on the Tour this year, and now I have a Torch 9800. I like BlackBerry a lot!

You can get a "new" one on ebay quite cheaply!
    09-23-11 04:44 PM
    I am about to upgrade to a 9900.

I like my 9000 but forget about Apps as there isn't any spare application memory. I have Blackberry Bridge (for Playbook), Blackberry Protect, and BBM and there's no memory left.

Battery life is poor, and more recently it has taken to rebooting itself.

If you just want messaging and phone calls it's great (subject to battery not lasting the day)
    09-23-11 05:38 PM
    I am about to upgrade to a 9900.

I like my 9000 but forget about Apps as there isn't any spare application memory. I have Blackberry Bridge (for Playbook), Blackberry Protect, and BBM and there's no memory left.

Battery life is poor, and more recently it has taken to rebooting itself.

If you just want messaging and phone calls it's great (subject to battery not lasting the day)
    Carrier OS?

09-23-11 06:45 PM
    Dear OP, if you do get the 9000, remember to shrink OS 5 if you do happen to update it to that version. It will give you more free memory for apps, etc.
    09-23-11 09:32 PM
    JSL v7.0 has already been size reduced and comes with an OS7 Icons theme that is brilliant.

09-23-11 10:34 PM
    What about a bold 9000 and install the latest DelftEo v7.1.3 os
    It's like you have a complete new device your battery go's for 2 days and the browser is quicker then quick.The device is stable like the new twin towers. Me my self and a bold9000.
    The bold 9000 is THE device , ok it's 3 years old but the latest DelftEo 7.1 os contains the latest 7.0.0.400 os and run smoothy like a baby's *ss.
    I have 27 app installed and have 33Mb free mem without leaks and any problem, my battery works 48 hour after a night charge, what do I want more, a nice os7 theme is included. Watch tv, chat, receive mail, and listen radio, as last call people and receive calls, all this is very stable, why pay more for less

Enjoy DelftEo

Last edited by delfteo; 09-24-11 at 12:02 AM.
    09-23-11 11:40 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD