I just experienced one of the most frightening things in my life. I am far away from home with my phone as the only source of communication. I wanted to upgrade my OS. When I wiped it, my phone began rebooting, rebooting, rebooting. I panicked. It stopped rebooting when I unplugged it, and apparently now I am installing the new OS. But that moment made me want to ask: has anyone else experienced such truly frightening BlackBerry moments?
    Last edited by Apothegm; 01-26-12 at 08:16 PM.
    01-26-12 08:14 PM
    Yeah installing the latest OS seemed to take alot longer than I remembered before. As I recall my phone was out of commission for almost 3 hours. Several reboots.
    01-26-12 08:21 PM
    Yeah installing the latest OS seemed to take alot longer than I remembered before. As I recall my phone was out of commission for almost 3 hours. Several reboots.
    Took me about 15 minutes. I thought I had nuked my phone which scared me.
    01-26-12 08:25 PM
    Yeah not sure why it took so long. I kept thinking to myself "this is ridiculous".
    01-26-12 08:27 PM
    I had a bb start to loop on a small boat in the middle of the Amazon river. 3 battery pulls later and I was saved from being without a phone (and bbm) for the next 2 weeks.
    01-26-12 09:11 PM
    When I woke up one day to see my 9900 bricked. That was very frightening.
    01-26-12 09:15 PM
    hahaha same thing happen to me on the 7.1 update.
    My frightening moment was when I dropped my torch about
    8 feet from the ground with no case it fell flat right on the screen
    and it survived with minor scratches around the edges
    01-26-12 09:23 PM
    ^ actually i have a question does the 9810 have gorilla glass?
    01-26-12 09:25 PM
    My most frightening BlackBerry moment was when I walked into my office and found a Blackberry Bold sitting on my desk inside a ziplock bag. I didnt know who's it was and either did anyone else.
    I left it there knowing deep inside there was something terribly wrong with it. I didn't touch it nor put anything anywhere near it. It sat there all alone.
    Then the phone rings (My desk phone). Its the vice-president. He asks me if I've checked out his phone yet. So I ask him what was wrong with it.

He tells me that he dropped it in the toilet. Yes, my worst fears were true.

I had only one question for him.

Did it drop in the toilet when you stood up?

"Yes."
    Last edited by steve911; 01-26-12 at 09:45 PM.
    01-26-12 09:36 PM
    I was at a baseball game in the first row of a balcony section. I was taking a picture with my Bold 9650 when I was bumped from behind by someone returning to his seat. I watched the phone fall from my fingers and, in seemingly slow motion, fall to the aisle below. It bounced and landed face down. Someone walking in the aisle who saw it fall picked it up and looked at the front. He looked up and gave me a thumbs up! I have a BodyGlove case on my Bold and the rubber absorbed all of the impact. I love that case!
    01-26-12 09:44 PM
    If you haven't had at least one scare, you aren't living. I have had a few, from OS loads, to random reboots, to what I thought was a permanent brick. Each time, it powers back on, and everything is good. That moment where your heart sinks though, hard to describe that to someone who hasn't experienced it before.
    01-26-12 09:49 PM
    oh i forgot there was this one time, in band camp...haha just kidding

seriously there was one time that my old curve slipped right into a bowl of pumpkin soup! LOL. and the miraculous thing is that after drying it out and soaking in a bowl of rice, it worked!
    01-26-12 09:58 PM
    Had two...first I had my BB in my hand as I walked out to my car. I placed it on the roof of the car, forgot it was up there, and drove off. I got a few blocks down the road and turned the corner. All of a sudden, my BB started sliding down my front windshield, ever so slowly. Luckily, the rubberized case slowed its trip down. I slowly pulled off the road and caught my breath. The second...the common " almost drop in the toilet routine" I reached for it on the counter and missed, sending it heading toward the toilet. My heart stopped as it bounced across the back of the seat and hit the floor. OMG!
    01-26-12 10:26 PM
    If I was far away from home I don't think I would ba that eager to install anything, much less a new operating system! Especially if it was my sole communication device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-26-12 10:52 PM
    I had a scare once, what happened was my BB Curve 8530 was in a pants pocket, and the pants were on the floor, and my foot caught them, and whipped my BB around 180 and smashed it right into the scale in my bathroom. I thought for sure something must have broke, as it turned the scale on, and that requires quite a bit of force. I also don't have any case for it, but sure enough nothing was wrong, not even a scratch!
    01-26-12 10:57 PM
    I got my first 9700 on launch day, Nov 16th 2009. I paid full retail price for it. Just a couple weeks later I was on vacation with my fam over Thanksgiving. We were at a resort on the Lake of the Ozarks. I plugged my new best friend into the charger one night and went to bed. I woke up to the White Screen of Doom. Being a new BB owner, I didn't realize that this was fairly common. I did a battery pull and luckily that turned out to be all it needed. But the 15 minutes or so it took from me seeing the white screen, to thinking to do the battery pull, to the time it took to do the reboot, to the time it took to see everything was going to be fine was pretty terrifying.

Fast forward to the following June. I was volunteering at a popular sporting event, and had to park waaaay out from the fieldhouse. When I got out of my car it was raining lightly, no big deal. A few seconds after I left my car, the sky opened up and I was stuck in the worst downpour I've ever been in. I ran toward the fieldhouse. When I got there I was completely soaked from head to toe, and my 9700 was in my pocket. I ran to the concession stand to get napkins. There were none in the holders. I shouted at the staff to get me napkins. They took their sweet time, and when some chick finally produced napkins she tried to put them in the holders but I ripped them from the chick's hand and shrouded my precious bb in several. Again, I got the White Screen of Doom but everything turned out just fine .
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-26-12 at 11:41 PM.
    01-26-12 11:38 PM
    The one and only time I charged my 9860 overnight and woke up to a blank screen and slow flashing red light. That was pretty scarey but nothing a battery didn't fixed. Thank god!

Another time, I had just gotten off a flight and didn't realize until I had exited the jetway into the terminal that I didn't have my phone. Pure panic set in and I had to fight my way through the other passengers to get back on the plane to find it. Luckily, another passenger had picked it up and handed it to a flight attendant. Whew!! That was my Bold.

Most recently and probably the scariest was when my three year old son threw a fit at me, picked up my 9860 and and let it drift towards the stone fireplace!! In the slowest of slow motion I watched that sucker fly through the air only to land short and hit the hardwood floor. The only thing saving it was the case.
    Last edited by up488; 01-27-12 at 07:19 AM.
    01-27-12 12:18 AM
    My most frightening BlackBerry moment was when I walked into my office and found a Blackberry Bold sitting on my desk inside a ziplock bag. I didnt know who's it was and either did anyone else.
    I left it there knowing deep inside there was something terribly wrong with it. I didn't touch it nor put anything anywhere near it. It sat there all alone.
    Then the phone rings (My desk phone). Its the vice-president. He asks me if I've checked out his phone yet. So I ask him what was wrong with it.

He tells me that he dropped it in the toilet. Yes, my worst fears were true.

I had only one question for him.

Did it drop in the toilet when you stood up?

"Yes."
    ROFL...for a moment I thought the phone in the plastic rang, re-read it and found it was your desk phone..LOL
    01-27-12 12:23 AM
    First of all. I like this thread and hope that people would keep on posting here.

Now. My scariest blackberry is when I was updating my Bold 9650's OS. And didn't know that the usb cable was damaged. And in the middle of the process. It hanged. And eventually gave me an error and nuked my phone. Was scared because I'm might not be able to recover it. after a week I took it to a repair shop. And done the usually process of fixing a bricked phone.(Thanks to CB). The 2nd one was when I was loading 7.1 on my 9860. I know the process very well. But I always think that os 7 devices might have a hardware issue like in some bold 9900s. But in the end it went smoothly and now I updated my 9860 for the 2nd time(when .205 was leaked.)

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 04:45 AM
    My scares BB moment is when my 9650 took an 8 feet drop from my jean which was over my shoulder when I was climbing a ladder. Thank god the phone fell on another guy head and stop in his hand. The dude was left with a head ache( try dropping your phone on your head, it hurt as ) and not a scratch was made to my phone
    Nukeing scare are for newbies( no disrespect but once you know how to fix it , it's child play) in my opinion :P
    01-27-12 06:05 AM
    Nukeing scare are for newbies( no disrespect but once you know how to fix it , it's child play) in my opinion :P
    We're ALL newbies once, and if you don't know what to do when you're phone appears to be nuked, and yeah, it's scary.
    youknwwho likes this.
    01-27-12 07:29 AM
    (Why does my torch lag when typing in chatboxes like these, it causes spelling errors)

I've had several. I was cleaning my 2 week old torch 9810. I got it out of it's fortified case when I slipped up and dropped the exposed phone to the ground. The back came off and the batter exploded and was sent flying. BlackBerries are tanks and always work.

Another time I was in a fast food join waiting to meet someone, I dropped my Otterbox protected blackberry 9810 onto a snowy wet floor, the pink front plate broke into two pieces and the phone landed facedown in a puddle. I picked it up with lighting speed and cleaned the water off the device. Luckily it still worked.

There are multiple instances with my 8900 and 9800. Like leaving it atop a car, or forgetting it on tables.

But the worst is when ki bricked the 9810 trying to install OS7 and that day the internet died and wasn't working. The phone had been nuked several times but this time I had to go to a coffee shop to fix things.

Oh and to show others how good a blackberry was, (because they were all bashing blackberry for being outdated and cheap) I took my old corve 8900 and threw it onto the ashphalt ground. I picked it up and to their suprise it worked. Actually I think it worked better because I unjammed the spacebar.
    01-27-12 07:50 AM
    My company hosts a large (30k+ attendees) annual meeting for which I have various responsibilities and a very complex schedule throughout the venue. Said schedule is maintained entirely in my BlackBerry calendar (well, it's BES so the schedule is also in Outlook on my laptop). And the staff are constantly sending BBM and texts to each other. On the first day of the meeting App World had an innocuous update to a travel app, which I accepted. After reboot - Boom! - no communication modalities (no txt, BBM, email) except voice phone, and calendar would not load! Long story short, after working with IT and and on the 11th battery pull, it came half-heartedly alive and I limped through the meeting with a semi-functioning phone.

So... no more updates when starting a meeting that really, really requires me to have a functioning BlackBerry! When I got home, I wiped and reinstalled OS5 on BES, then upgraded immediately to OS6.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    01-27-12 08:51 AM
    My worse BB experience was one night at work while on lunch, I was listening to music with ear buds and reading some stuff thru the web browser. I had an awful lot of data on the 16gb microSD, and the browser while loading a page froze the phone. It ended up corrupting the filesystem (or so I thought). I'm telling you, stuff for me, pictures of my daughter, a lot of documents, all the most important stuff to me gone in a flash. The manager's office has a laptop with built in readers. I was about 10 minutes late back from lunch working on trying to restore the card. After enough tinkering, I somehow got the card to mount and I was saved. Man I was freaking out, and it's good thing for me the boss never showed up. That damn 9650 I did love her so though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-12 09:29 AM
    I'll admit that I don't keep cases on my phone most of the time. I have cases for them, but I like the look and feel of the actual BB. Unfortunately, when I have the case on, nothing ever happens to it - no drops, bangs, etc. When the case gets taken off....well...pray for the BB!

I've had 2 big scares.
    One was with my 8300. It fell out of my purse onto a table, slide off the table and crashed to the floor where it continued to slide half way across the cafe before it stopped. It was one of those slow motion, huge gasp moments. Picked up my BB and it only had a few small scuffs on the back that were hardly noticeable. That thing was a rock!

Second was with my 9800. At the passenger side of the car, I dropped it while scooping up several items at once. It was probably only about 3.5 - 4 feet that it fell, but it was on the edge of a concrete curb and then bounced down to the road side ending face down. The only damage I could see was a very small, barely perceptible scratch on the screen and a tiny scratch on the bezel. All in all, not bad for hitting a concrete edge!

Nothing has happened to my 9900 yet... *knock on wood*
    01-27-12 10:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD