If I were a member of the BlackBerry development team, I would love to propose some changes to the device and operating system that I believe are realistic. The first thing I would improve on is the font. I think the font used on the iphone is pretty slick, but the Palm Pre font is truly incredible. RIM could definitely pull this off. A font designed just for BBs would be nice. I would change the look of the email. If you receive emails with advertisements, the graphics can be jumbled. RIM can definitely fix this easily. The web browser needs improvements. I would start by condensing the several browsers to one. I am ok with the page rendering, but I would like to see a faster browser. Lastly, I would like to see BB handle hotmail better. Purging deleted emails on the hotmail server has not worked ever. If they don't fix this, then RIM should allow us to view our BlackBerry account via PC so we can manage them. Then we won't need hotmail, google, or yahoo accounts. What changes would you guys make?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 07:45 PM
    If I had to pick one thing it would be the browser. Better youtube integration would be nice, but that would just be a treat. I'd rather see performance increase before I saw that.

07-25-09 08:22 PM
    I would first lock down on five solid models. I really see no need for many different models that so close to each other. My models choices would be Bold, Curve, Storm, Pearl Flip, Magnum. With these types you have two full qwerty keyboards, one full touch, the forever popular flip, and a touch plus qwerty. A winning line.

My next changes would be the browser(full html, speed, etc), memory(all phones would come with at least 8gigs), media.

RIM has done a great job but if they stuck to five or less models they could spend more time building a great os that runs flawless on all their devices.

07-25-09 09:33 PM
    First I would make 3G or EVDO and wifi mandatory on all phones.

Next the web browser. A tabbed webkit(the source of Safari and WebOS) based browser would be my choice.

Lastly have the theme creation program ready for a device at launch. This is pretty basic and shouldn't be a problem to begin with.

Thats all for me. I have only been using my first BB for a couple weeks so I am sure I'll come up with more as time goes on.
    07-25-09 10:26 PM
    I like Htc's idea of having adobe on there phone along with the some other progams that are user friendly with pc users. I think of the blackberry like the pc and apple comercial. If blackberry could have a program like adobe flashplayer to open some files that link with my pc that would be nice. I just bought the curve 8900 a month ago and it is the best phone ever.
    07-25-09 10:30 PM
    Since the battery pull is the master reset, why can't the battery be integrated with the back panel? One unlock and pull.

Instead of removing the back panel and prying the battery out with the fingernail.
    07-26-09 05:57 AM
    If I was on the development team at RIM, for Hardware Development I would insist on:
    Internal Storege: an onboard ROM of 4-8GB with expandable Media Slot
    Hard Reset Button: This button would be under the battery door, but would be a button to cut the battery off, simply a button that retracts the copper contacts from the battery, or slides something between the contacts and the battery, I would like to do a "Battery Pull" with out ever actually removing the battery,
    MiniUSB Slot location: The population is prodominately right handed, is can be assumed they use their Blackberry's with their right hand. The Data cable there for needs to be on the left side of the BB so that when plugged in it does not interfere with single handed use, the Tour was definitely an error putting the data cable on the lower right side, playing 2 handed games is very challenging whilst plugged in.

IF I was on the software Development team, I would want to see work done on the browser, though the Tour has come a long way from the Curve, occasionally I still need to use Bolt,
    The contact manager software needs to be worked on, though this is not exclusively a RIM problem, they could be pioneers, Contact management is something that is dated, with RIM they give me but 1 location to put PIN numbers, but myself and many others carry multiple blackberry's in today's world people move from job to job, a persons contact should be able to have a History, John Smith, works for Company ABC, after he moves, one should be able to Archive Company ABC data to Johns name and enter Company ZYX, when looking at Johns contact information you can see Archive to see who he used to work for, or where he used to work, I would like to see Phone/e-mail histroy tied into the contact manager as well, Dates and times a contact has called/e-mailed you integrated into the contact manager, if I get a call every day from John Smith, when I look at John smiths contact I want to see that every day he calls and we speak for 30 minutes in a call log,

There are many other things I would address to add to what BlackBerry is and can be, possibly the contact manager and accessory's I could make a thread dedicated to
    07-26-09 06:40 AM
    The Browser For Me You Cant Watch Most Movies On It.
    07-26-09 08:52 AM
    For me, thos would be my list:

- More memory. 128MB or 256MB is fine for space to have apps run, but with the larger number of apps coming out (and some apps tipping in over 2MB, application storage space needs to be seperate. The Bold has 1GB internal - allow that to be used for installing apps. I understand not installing to SD card for security reasons, but the Bold already has an additional internal memory area - add that to all BBs and allow access.

Browser. The browser has come a long way. I'm glad to see they have been making improvements and hope they continue down that line. Flash is one of those things that would greatly improve the borwser - or even move Flash out to be a supported media player format (no change would be needed to the browser, just sends the link to media player like other videos).

HTML E-Mail: It would not only be nice to have better HTML support for incoming e-mails, give us HTML outgoing e-mail as well! I would love to have e-mails sent from my BB look as professional as they do from my PC.

Media: Add more codecs and support more media types. It's annoying to have the media player open up from a website only to see "unsupported format". At least open up the API so that developers can create additional codecs, then have the error message tell us what the unsupported format is so we can add the codec.

Allow logs to be stored on SD card. That way call logs would not start to be erased if memory gets low. A full history could be kept for contacts. I take notes while in calls. The only way I can preserve those notes right now is to e-mail them to me. Could you imagine the benefit of syncing those call logs and notes directly to Outlook (or Google) contacts? Outlook already has a Journal feature built in - it would be nice to use it!
    07-26-09 09:22 AM
    Add a number row to the QWERTY keyboard & keep the keys on the keyboard the same as the Blackberry Bolds.
    07-26-09 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD