I'm just wondering, don't iPhone users tire of constantly gesturing and swiping to unlock the device and get to apps? And in forms, every input field entry is a swipe to a separate screen and back. I can't imagine doing this every time I want to do something quickly. To me that's the killer BlackBerry feature.

Really want to hear feedback. How can you do stuff quickly on the iPhone, or you just accept the compromise for a better media experience?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 04:29 PM
    I don't mind gestures... it's all in one's willingness to live with the pros, and cons of a chosen user experience .. if one is willing to cross either bridge fully, then the transition shouldn't be painful

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-10-11 04:38 PM
    I'm noticing no notebooks sold with virtual keyboards so that really tells you which is better for data entry.
    I haven't noticed any laptops with built-in mice either, but I don't take that as meaning trackpads are better than mice.

I'm just wondering, don't iPhone users tire of constantly gesturing and swiping to unlock the device and get to apps?
    I would think if they did, those people would stop buying iPhones.

And in forms, every input field entry is a swipe to a separate screen and back. I can't imagine doing this every time I want to do something quickly.
    This isn't true. You don't have to "swipe" to a "separate screen" to complete forms. You just tap each field as you enter data.
    09-10-11 04:43 PM
    honestly i cannot notice any difference between my Curve's Hotspot browser to my 3GSs Mobile Safari for features. in fact i hardly use either since i prefer 3rd party browsers from Opera or Dolphin (Chrome/Firefox clone?) for either device.
    09-10-11 07:33 PM
    You guys amuse me. Comparing a brand new phone to a phone that's been out over a year. What gives? That in itself should prove to all iPhone haters, that RIM isn't close to what apple has done in the short amount of time they've been making phones.

Honestly RIM's OS should blow the iPhones out of the water, but it doesn't. Funny how they have known what the iPhone was capable of, and still can't beat it. Go ahead and hold your breath on a QNX phone. It won't matter. What matters is what is out now. And right now the iPhone is still the best selling phone available.

I like the 9900 and do think that RIM is getting on track, but it's nothing more than a stop gap for QNX. I would hate to waste an upgrade on a phone that probably won't be supported in the next 6-8 months.
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-10-11 09:23 PM
    I honestly do not know. I have never tried to do any of that from my iPhone before. I don't upload youtube vids, download mp3s (from my phone) or use drop box.

I know Android can do all of the above and download extremely large files (I've done it tons of times). iOS is more locked down. I'm sure if you jailbreak all of that can be done if it can't already.
    If you don't know why are you arguing? Try it and then come back.

If a browser doesn't have to recognise download links for mp3 or mp4, or if it doesn't cache webpages for offline use I'm sure it will be faster no?

I expect my mobile browser to act the same as my laptop browser minus the flash.
    09-11-11 03:52 AM
    The only truth to this is you fail at using a touchscreen. It required you to use multiple taps on the URL bar. I keep my browser on the dock, so there is no looking, it is on every homescreen I am on. It sounds like you don't use a password on your device as well, so yea just pulling out the BB is .05 seconds faster. It also sounds like you are bad at using a virtual keyboard. I barely look at my keyboard when I type anymore.

Enjoy the BB. It definitely seems like it's a better device for you.
    Shun the non-believer!!!!
    09-11-11 11:38 AM
    How is the blackberry browser compared to the blackberry..My last blackberry was the ancient pink curve and you didn't really get a "real" feel to the internet..Now, my iPhone is just as i'm looking at my computer screen (just smaller)..Do the new blackberry's compare this way?
    Being a former iPhone 4 user and new BB OS7 user, the answer in one word; Yes.
    09-11-11 11:41 AM
    you know what? i don't WANT my phone to imitate the iOS or Android. why do you think i bought a BlackBerry? after having two iPhones and one Android tablet and trying out other Androids to make sure it was not me or my device i went for the BB. and i like it.
    09-11-11 11:42 AM
    you know what? i don't WANT my phone to imitate the iOS or Android. why do you think i bought a BlackBerry? after having two iPhones and one Android tablet and trying out other Androids to make sure it was not me or my device i went for the BB. and i like it.
    And I don't want my phone to imitate the hourglass of death; or the battery pull maneuver (physically, or virtually) that has become synonymous with BB OS.
    09-11-11 11:59 AM
    Functional browser? Try downloading/uploading anything trough the browser. Youtube? Sorry, need an app for that. Dropbox? Sorry, need an app for that. Podcast? Sorry, need to subscribe in the podcast app for that. Etc etc.

That's an exaggeration. I could download things off the browser when I had WinMO 5. Why would iOS be any different?
    09-11-11 12:04 PM
    That's an exaggeration. I could download things off the browser when I had WinMO 5. Why would iOS be any different?
    It is, try it if you don't believe me.

09-11-11 12:06 PM
    And I don't want my phone to imitate the hourglass of death; or the battery pull maneuver (physically, or virtually) that has become synonymous with BB OS.
    funny i have never HAD an hourglass of death, or the battery pull being a necessity (if you download 3rd party apps that are unstable or full of bugs that is your own fault) at all. now i have had the apple logo of death, and had to hit home and power a lot to force-reboot an iPhone and lord knows how many times i had to hit the little 'reset' button on any Android device i used.

ALL OSs have their problems. but i still prefer BB OS to the overloaded Android or locked-down Apple OS devices that still lack the memory expansion slot
    09-11-11 12:08 PM
    My Android installation came about as minimal as it can get: no bloatware, just stock AOSP.

As far as memory expansion slot, if you understood anything about bus technologies, Apple was being arrogantly smart about not including an expansion slot. By eliminating a bottleneck, like communicating to another I/O bus (sdcard), users won't have to deal with the wait state coming from leap frogging partitions, or buses.

PEBCAK comes to mind... PEBCAK, PEBCAK...did I say PEBCAK?
    09-11-11 12:16 PM
    It is, try it if you don't believe me.

I will get around to trying it, if I'm in the vicinity of an iPhone I can play with. Other than that, it's not a real bother..

I'm too busy, and too much on my plate to worry about such trivia.
    09-11-11 12:19 PM
    Really? because i always figured Apple made the device without a memory slot to avoid using non-iTunes methods of say getting music, video on the device. either way it limits it to whatever capacity it has and forces using iTunes to transfer anything. not able to use mass storage capability even that Android allows.

as for Android, it came as it was and on any device i tested. it was extremely resource hungry and slow, and very unstable. i tried all from live CDs of 1.0 to demo models of 3.0 Honeycomb. all of them seemed to remind me of MS Windows as far as demand and resources.
    09-11-11 12:20 PM
    Really? because i always figured Apple made the device without a memory slot to avoid using non-iTunes methods of say getting music, video on the device. either way it limits it to whatever capacity it has and forces using iTunes to transfer anything. not able to use mass storage capability even that Android allows.

as for Android, it came as it was and on any device i tested. it was extremely resource hungry and slow, and very unstable. i tried all from live CDs of 1.0 to demo models of 3.0 Honeycomb. all of them seemed to remind me of MS Windows as far as demand and resources.
    I've seen so much lag on the LG Optimus dual core android it almost reminded me of my Storm lol, seriously, for a dual core was pretty bad.
    09-11-11 12:24 PM
    I've seen so much lag on the LG Optimus dual core android it almost reminded me of my Storm lol, seriously, for a dual core was pretty bad.
    A lot of the lag people experience is from the skinning many manufacturers do to Android. That's why most don't like Blur, Touchwiz, or Sense. If it had straight Gingerbread, that thing would fly. I've no lag on my lowly Incredible since I put on an AOSP ROM. I've also put on minimalist Sense-centric ROMs, with much success. My issues with sense go beyond performance, and more into how it interferes with Android's way of doing things.
    09-11-11 12:27 PM

Manufacturer-based spins on Android aren't good litmus tests, even though they're the mainstream ones to which people have access. My AOSP installation goes from loader to home screen in five seconds.

I can see that argument as far as removable media goes, with respect to apple iTunes, though I know I've been sending my mp3 conversions to a friend of mine who routinely puts those mp3s into his iPod.
    09-11-11 12:30 PM
    A lot of the lag people experience is from the skinning many manufacturers do to Android. That's why most don't like Blur, Touchwiz, or Sense. If it had straight Gingerbread, that thing would fly. I've no lag on my lowly Incredible since I put on an AOSP ROM. I've also put on minimalist Sense-centric ROMs, with much success. My issues with sense go beyond performance, and more into how it interferes with Android's way of doing things.
    So it's the user's fault he never rooted his android phone?

Anyway, this was, I believe, a discussion about Blackberry and Iphone, not Android.
    09-11-11 12:37 PM
    So it's the user's fault he never rooted his android phone?

Anyway, this was, I believe, a discussion about Blackberry and Iphone, not Android.
    True, but a lot of forums would show, discussions tend to tail off into the deep end...

To end the Android discussion (since you're right in that regard), no, it's not the user's fault he never rooted his Android phone. It's the manufacturers' fault for putting spins on Android without thinking about performance penalties from doing so. This very action, is one of the principle reasons why people root their phones in the first place. I also would call shenanigans on the carriers for putting in their own bloatware; and in some cases, forcing it down people's throats (Bing on BlackBerry is a good example).
    09-11-11 12:41 PM
    If you don't know why are you arguing? Try it and then come back.
    I read your other post wrong. You said-

Functional browser? Try downloading/uploading anything trough the browser. Youtube? Sorry, need an app for that.
    I thought you meant you needed an app to actually use YouTube. That is why I replied like I did.
    09-11-11 03:48 PM
    I read your other post wrong. You said-

I thought you meant you needed an app to actually use YouTube. That is why I replied like I did.
    Lol, how did you get that from what I said?
    09-11-11 04:14 PM
    Lol, how did you get that from what I said?
    Because it is exactly what you said? I didn't think it was a continuation of the "uploading" part. I thought you meant you needed an app for YouTube. It is pretty easy to see how I came to that conclusion.
    09-11-11 04:58 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD