With OS 7 I think in the real world I can kick any iOS user's **** in a browser use contest. That's because all the online browser comparisons start with both browsers hitting "Go" after they have already entered in the web site address. In my mind the real comparison starts with both phones locked and in your pocket. Here's my real comparison:

UNLOCKING
    iOS - Hit the home button and then swipe-to-unlock.
    BB - I just hit the unlock button as I'm pulling it out of the pocket.

STARTING THE BROWSER
    iOS - Look at the screen to check which panel I am on. Flip to the correct panel. Find the Browser icon. Tap the Browser icon.
    BB - Type 'B'.

ENTER THE WEB SITE ADDRESS
    BB - Just start typing the web site address on my fabulous keyboard, press Enter and PRESTO!
    iOS - Tap on the address bar. Tap on the address bar again because I missed the first tap. Look at the keyboard and peck away slowly. After numerous back-spaces and switches between keyboard panels, I finally have the address entered in. The ".com" button doesn't help that much really. Press Enter.

LOAD THE WEB PAGE
    Yes, the BB is probably about one second slower on the page load. But starting the comparison with both phones in my pocket the BB wins hands down.

OK, OK...I'm totally being a fanboi here with my anti-iOS snarkiness. But I still think there's truth to this.
    09-09-11 12:09 PM
    Very nice way of looknig at a comparison.
    09-09-11 12:16 PM
    How is the blackberry browser compared to the blackberry..My last blackberry was the ancient pink curve and you didn't really get a "real" feel to the internet..Now, my iPhone is just as i'm looking at my computer screen (just smaller)..Do the new blackberry's compare this way?
    09-09-11 01:42 PM
    The only truth to this is you fail at using a touchscreen. It required you to use multiple taps on the URL bar. I keep my browser on the dock, so there is no looking, it is on every homescreen I am on. It sounds like you don't use a password on your device as well, so yea just pulling out the BB is .05 seconds faster. It also sounds like you are bad at using a virtual keyboard. I barely look at my keyboard when I type anymore.

Enjoy the BB. It definitely seems like it's a better device for you.
    howarmat likes this.
    09-09-11 01:51 PM
    Yup, the multiple taps is an exaggeration.

I would still whup you when it came to typing in the URL, though.

iOS people just don't know what real typing speed is.

Sounds like you're enjoying your iPhone though.
    09-09-11 03:24 PM
    Yup, the multiple taps is an exaggeration.

I would still whup you when it came to typing in the URL, though.

iOS people just don't know what real typing speed is.

Sounds like you're enjoying your iPhone though.
    Lol what? You do realize the fastest typer on a smartphone is on a touchscreen right?

Just because you don't know how to use a touchscreen to type fast, doesn't mean others can't. "iOS people just don't know what real typing speed is." What? I type faster on my iPhone than I did on my 9000, and I typed really fast on the 9000. Maybe you just can't get the hang of multitouch and the best way to utilize it while typing.

I am enjoying my iPhone, and I also enjoy BBs and Android devices.
    09-09-11 03:54 PM
    Where do you get the idea that the fastest typer is on a touchscreen? Are there any videos that show this? I could see that with something like Swype you might get close to a real keyboard. Maybe the fastest Swype user could be faster than the fastest keyboard user. But I think any good keyboard user would demolish the touscreen user using a traditional onscreen keyboard.

I think you were just slow on your 9000.

BTW, to put another bee in your bonnet - the touchscreen autotext on BB way outclasses iOS. iOS just gives you one choice for autotext...and it's usually wrong.
    09-09-11 04:23 PM
    How bout this... press unlock button as im pulling out phone and touch the google search widget and type url on my spacious virtual keyboard. Oh wait that's my DROIDX2 lol! Sorry couldn't resist!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 04:27 PM
    Where do you get the idea that the fastest typer is on a touchscreen? Are there any videos that show this? I could see that with something like Swype you might get close to a real keyboard. Maybe the fastest Swype user could be faster than the fastest keyboard user. But I think any good keyboard user would demolish the touscreen user using a traditional onscreen keyboard.

BTW, to put another bee in your bonnet - the touchscreen autotext on BB way outclasses iOS. iOS just gives you one choice for autotext...and it's usually wrong.
    There's a guy that holds some world texting record using an iPhone I think. The fact that one guy uses device x and is some kind of superhuman texting freak misses the point. What matters is how well the average user does using both. I am not sure what the answer is to that. I know I *enjoy* the feel of a real keyboard. That counts.
    09-09-11 04:29 PM
    Comparisons between iOS and BBOS done here suck even harder than the ones in random blogs that trash talk about blackberry devices.

09-09-11 04:55 PM
    With OS 7 I think in the real world I can kick any iOS user's **** in a browser use contest. That's because all the online browser comparisons start with both browsers hitting "Go" after they have already entered in the web site address. In my mind the real comparison starts with both phones locked and in your pocket. Here's my real comparison:

UNLOCKING

STARTING THE BROWSER
    iOS - Look at the screen to check which panel I am on. Flip to the correct panel. Find the Browser icon. Tap the Browser icon.
    BB - Type 'B'.

BB - Just start typing the web site address on my fabulous keyboard, press Enter and PRESTO!
    iOS - Tap on the address bar. Tap on the address bar again because I missed the first tap. Look at the keyboard and peck away slowly. After numerous back-spaces and switches between keyboard panels, I finally have the address entered in. The ".com" button doesn't help that much really. Press Enter.

LOAD THE WEB PAGE
    Yes, the BB is probably about one second slower on the page load. But starting the comparison with both phones in my pocket the BB wins hands down.

OK, OK...I'm totally being a fanboi here with my anti-iOS snarkiness. But I still think there's truth to this.
    Haha very well said. iOS trolls beat that!

09-09-11 06:22 PM

You aren't putting any "bee in my bonnet". I know the advantages BBs have over the iPhone buddy. I mean, I did own the devices for years.

09-10-11 12:35 AM
    There really is just a preference difference with qwerty. My typing speed on an actual computer keyboard floats around the 90's for wpm, my speed on both the iPhone I had and this 9650 are in the high 40's to low 50's. I guess it is my opinion in saying that neither form factor, touch or qwerty, are superior over one another, nor do I consider someone outdated or "old school" because they prefer qwerty. I am of course including myself, because touch screen is awesome and I feel it is an enjoyable way to do almost everything, except type. I like the feel of keys when I'm typing up documents, or web site addresses, posts on the CB forums, etc.

09-10-11 04:56 AM
    Why so slow getting the BB up ang going?

How about this:

Pull the BB out of its holster it automatically unlocks.

Type the address. Universal search finds it in your browser history, bookmarks, or gives you the option to open the browser on the page.

Just thought I would throw in $.02

But seriously, I think people can be efficient with whatever they get used to using.

lssanjose likes this.
    09-10-11 06:23 AM
    I barely look at my keyboard when I type anymore.
    That's really the beauty of a physical keyboard. Not needing to look at the keyboard at all. Always the raised dot on the 5 key to keep users grounded.

Moving situations are better for the physical keyboards as well. Light pressure on the physical keyboard keeps fingers from straying off the keys.

Just a quick question, when the virtual keyboard is activated is the remaining iP4 screen much larger than the Bold 9900's?

I'm noticing no notebooks sold with virtual keyboards so that really tells you which is better for data entry. The virtual keyboard is simply a compromise so that users can have a larger screen for surfing, apps, or games. Just like the smaller screen on my 9900 is a compromise so that I can have a physical keyboard.

People need to make an informed choice and then enjoy their device like the OP did.
    09-10-11 07:18 AM

UNLOCKING

STARTING THE BROWSER
    BB - Type 'B'.

Why not use universal search on the iPhone?

LOAD THE WEB PAGE
    Yes, the BB is probably about one second slower on the page load. But starting the comparison with both phones in my pocket the BB wins hands dow

The browser on os7 devices is a big improvement, but it still fails when compared to high end/medium android devices and iOS.

Lol @ the anti iOS snarkiness. You should thank them for putting a functional browser on the iPhone, otherwise RIM would still be using the same browser from 2005...
    09-10-11 08:59 AM
    I've never used an iphone, so I have no point of reference.

My 9850's browser, however, BLOWS AWAY the browser on my old 9650. Gorgeous, crisp, big-enough-to-be-readable screen. I'm very happy with my phone, which is all that matters.
    09-10-11 09:36 AM
    Lol @ the anti iOS snarkiness. You should thank them for putting a functional browser on the iPhone, otherwise RIM would still be using the same browser from 2005...
    Functional browser? Try downloading/uploading anything trough the browser. Youtube? Sorry, need an app for that. Dropbox? Sorry, need an app for that. Podcast? Sorry, need to subscribe in the podcast app for that. Etc etc.

09-10-11 10:52 AM
    Functional browser? Try downloading/uploading anything trough the browser. Youtube? Sorry, need an app for that. Dropbox? Sorry, need an app for that. Podcast? Sorry, need to subscribe in the podcast app for that. Etc etc.

When I said functional I meant from a mobile standpoint. I wasn't saying that ios gives us a desktop experience.

09-10-11 11:05 AM

You actually don't need an app for those. Why does the childish trash talking continue (any direction)?

You do lots of things to your preference with most of the phones out today.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    09-10-11 11:20 AM

Just because there is a youtube app doesn't mean the browser can't access youtube. HTML5 dude. iOS is one of the big reasons HTML5 is being pushed on many sites. I can view youtube videos on any website without a problem. Only problem is flash.
    09-10-11 11:24 AM
    I'm gonna agree with the OP. Yes, the iPhone browser looks prettier (although the Android or QNX browsers are better than it is) but in real world use, the blackberry OS setup allows a quick browse on blackberry to be faster.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 09-10-11 at 11:41 AM.
    09-10-11 11:28 AM
    Just because there is a youtube app doesn't mean the browser can't access youtube. HTML5 dude. iOS is one of the big reasons HTML5 is being pushed on many sites. I can view youtube videos on any website without a problem. Only problem is flash.

I meant uploading to youtube, can you do it without the app? Dropbox? Can you at least download from dropbox? Can you download any mp3 from a webpage, be it voice note, podcast, song?

09-10-11 11:48 AM
    I meant uploading to youtube, can you do it without the app? Dropbox? Can you at least download from dropbox? Can you download any mp3 from a webpage, be it voice note, podcast, song?

I honestly do not know. I have never tried to do any of that from my iPhone before. I don't upload youtube vids, download mp3s (from my phone) or use drop box.

I know Android can do all of the above and download extremely large files (I've done it tons of times). iOS is more locked down. I'm sure if you jailbreak all of that can be done if it can't already.
    09-10-11 11:57 AM
    You actually don't need an app for those. Why does the childish trash talking continue (any direction)?

You do lots of things to your preference with most of the phones out today.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Actually you do on an iphone, for a "functional" browser it's missing a lot of functions, maybe that's why it's faster.

09-10-11 03:05 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD