BlackBerry Device Software - Update Notification

It came from: [email protected]

Here's what it says... with an urgency I've become suspicious of:

"For best results, please view this message from your desktop computer.

BlackBerry Device Software
    Update Notification

UPDATE
    TODAY!

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?
    Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. Update today.
    New ways to work and play!
    � As an aid to comprehension, this section provides a brief overview of the life-cycle of a device upgrade. * Each OTASL capable device will contain one or more OTASL Service Records(SR) each identifying a Device Manager (DM). The DM may be located at RIM, may be part of a BES or, in future, could be associated with a 3rd party application provider. Each SR will identify the applications which are of interest to the corresponding DM. SRs may be delivered by PRV, BES or in an upgrade application loaded OTA. * The device will keep each DM informed of its configuration including hardware ID, vendor ID, the current software version (O/S, platform and core applications) and the current screen language setting. * Any of several authorized device administrators can request upgrade of a device. Administrators would include the BES administrator, RIM administrators, carrier administrators and possibly the end-user. Each administrator will have access to the device configuration. The BES and RIM administrators will have direct access to a DM while the carrier will have proxy access through RIM to its DM to obtain the configuration information. The end-user can simply access the information directly. * Given the configuration, the administrator can contact the Control Web Server (CWS) for a list of possible upgrades in the form of an XML document (upgrades.xml). * Based on corporate policies and goals, the administration module can then edit/filter the XML document and forward the result on to the device. The editing may include the removal of undesired upgrade paths or the addition of corporate policies on upgrade data routing (e.g. roaming) or user interaction (don't prompt). * On receipt of upgrades.xml, the device will execute the instructions in it possibly including querying the user for upgrade paths and options or just immediately initiating the upgrade..
    Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. Update Now.
    Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit here.
    Research In Motion
    Research In Motion � 295 Phillip Street � Waterloo, Ontario � Canada � N2L 3W8
    � 2008 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, RIM�, Research In Motion�, SureType� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
    You have received this message by opting-in to receive news and information about BlackBerry products and services from Research In Motion. To unsubscribe click here. Research In Motion, 295 Phillip St., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3W8."
    01-11-10 03:46 PM
    BlackBerry Device Software - Update Notification

It came from: [email protected]

Here's what it says... with an urgency I've become suspicious of:

"For best results, please view this message from your desktop computer.

BlackBerry Device Software
    Update Notification

UPDATE
    TODAY!

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?
    Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. Update today.
    New ways to work and play!
    � As an aid to comprehension, this section provides a brief overview of the life-cycle of a device upgrade. * Each OTASL capable device will contain one or more OTASL Service Records(SR) each identifying a Device Manager (DM). The DM may be located at RIM, may be part of a BES or, in future, could be associated with a 3rd party application provider. Each SR will identify the applications which are of interest to the corresponding DM. SRs may be delivered by PRV, BES or in an upgrade application loaded OTA. * The device will keep each DM informed of its configuration including hardware ID, vendor ID, the current software version (O/S, platform and core applications) and the current screen language setting. * Any of several authorized device administrators can request upgrade of a device. Administrators would include the BES administrator, RIM administrators, carrier administrators and possibly the end-user. Each administrator will have access to the device configuration. The BES and RIM administrators will have direct access to a DM while the carrier will have proxy access through RIM to its DM to obtain the configuration information. The end-user can simply access the information directly. * Given the configuration, the administrator can contact the Control Web Server (CWS) for a list of possible upgrades in the form of an XML document (upgrades.xml). * Based on corporate policies and goals, the administration module can then edit/filter the XML document and forward the result on to the device. The editing may include the removal of undesired upgrade paths or the addition of corporate policies on upgrade data routing (e.g. roaming) or user interaction (don't prompt). * On receipt of upgrades.xml, the device will execute the instructions in it possibly including querying the user for upgrade paths and options or just immediately initiating the upgrade..
    Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. Update Now.
    Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit here.
    Research In Motion
    Research In Motion � 295 Phillip Street � Waterloo, Ontario � Canada � N2L 3W8
    � 2008 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, RIM�, Research In Motion�, SureType� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
    You have received this message by opting-in to receive news and information about BlackBerry products and services from Research In Motion. To unsubscribe click here. Research In Motion, 295 Phillip St., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3W8."

they do send those out however if you owned a previous phone it can be for that phone as well
    01-11-10 03:51 PM

This isn't the first time this email has gone out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/update-401283/
    01-11-10 04:41 PM
    Wouldn't it be nice if the message included the phone model and update version?
    01-11-10 04:44 PM
    I've had only one BB (will be my last too); so, I know this update includes the Curve 8330.

it would be even nicer if the "update" was labeled properly. i have v4.5.0.138 and now Desktop Manager says I'd be updating to v4.5.0.

???

Is RIM on drugs?

(am holding off on the update til I hear from CB and other owners.)
    01-11-10 04:49 PM
    So it does not appear to be bogus to you-all?
    01-11-10 08:30 PM
    I did the update. Its for .175
    01-11-10 09:14 PM
    Same - no joy after receiving the first email a few days ago. Got it again tonight and ran wireless update under advanced options. Took me from .138 to .175 this time (8330 on VzW).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 09:18 PM
    @hughdrbf: Yeah don't know why it didn't show up on my DM until after the update. Went to BB website and downloaded from there. I had to reset my custom ringtones and my Viigo settings. Everything else seems to be working fine
    01-11-10 09:25 PM
    never got it so not for tour
    01-11-10 09:29 PM
    ran wireless update under advanced options.
    Wow...thanks. Never knew about this way of updating.

[editing in case anyone reads this later]

Unless you don't mind losing all your memo notes and probably other essentials, do not use the wireless update option. I just noticed that I lost everything even though "backups" were shown to be made. Really pissed at RIM, right now.
    Last edited by butcherbird; 01-15-10 at 01:39 PM.
    01-11-10 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD