everyday i read the forums, or at least many of them and im confused about what it appears many need their smartphones to do

do we really need apps, or are we just made to believe we do?

my 9900 is a workhorse all day, but beyond native apps, my personal needs go no further than FB, Twitter, Foursquare, a Weather app and Scoremobile (both versions)

what do we "need" more from our smartphones? dont we have TV, laptops and tablets for our non-working hours we're awake? :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 11:46 PM
    Everyone has different needs. I need webex and the ability to run a presentation from my phone, often times when I'm not on wifi. I also need a front facing camera, as I conduct many one-to-one meetings via Skype. I also need a decent camera for macro shots. Can't do any of that on a blackberry. As I said, we all have different needs.
    12-18-12 11:56 PM
    Strictly speaking, nope, we don't need apps. But there's a lot of things we don't need that are nice to have anyways since they make life easier and more enjoyable. Like smartphones themselves, laptops, big screen TVs and microwaves. Or Facebook and Foursquare.

If you think a browser can replace apps, you've never tried having a moder smartphone like an Android handset or an iPhone. There are a plethora of apps that are useful and that just can't be replaced by a browser.

(Also note that the browser is becoming less important. Until recently there was a lot of optimism that HTML5 will make all those native apps redundant, but that idea is now further away than ever. There is an increasing awareness that HTML5 won't replace native apps for a good many years, if ever. Just look at Facebook)

RIM also need apps. Badly. You know those signs you see everywhere and in all ads? The "Now Available in Google Play and Apple AppStore" signs? Every time a BB owner sees one of those signs and they don't include BBs AppStore, it's telling him that he's behind the curve and doesn't have a real smartphone.

So RIM needs apps. Not just to attract customers, but also to be perceived as modern, current and up to date.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-19-12 12:09 AM
    Perception IS reality.
    12-19-12 12:48 AM
    everyday i read the forums, or at least many of them and im confused about what it appears many need their smartphones to do

my 9900 is a workhorse all day, but beyond native apps, my personal needs go no further than FB, Twitter, Foursquare, a Weather app and Scoremobile (both versions)

what do we "need" more from our smartphones? dont we have TV, laptops and tablets for our non-working hours we're awake? :-)

Try googling "perception is reality". You'll get it.

- R.
    12-19-12 12:50 AM

I understand what you are saying. You will change your mind when you find that killer app that you just cant do without.
    12-19-12 01:42 AM
    It is both i guess , some people has special apps that they really depend on, some just want to feel they are belong to a popular population, their phone has the most largest Eco-system like everybody else. Aren't we BB user perceived as unpopular right now? "Our BB10" need apps to be trendy and popular like everyone else not because we actually need many extensively
    12-19-12 03:54 AM
    The browser is also an app. So is the email client. So is the hub. The camera, music player, etc.
    12-19-12 04:06 AM
    Nobody "needs" a phone either, so the question of whether we "need" apps is sort of pointless...

Maybe you'd be better off considering utility. Phones are very useful, especially smart ones. Apps make smartphones more useful.
    12-19-12 08:18 AM