09-13-11 11:49 AM
646 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    I have tried this fix on an Alltell Curve 8330m to no avail. I am however using software version .160. I did use DM 5.0 and QPST build 215 to connect to the phone with no problem. It wrote the data to the phone and I can reconnect to it and 'Read from Phone' in QPST and all that data I entered is still there, even the checked items on the left, so I am curious as to why this still isn't working. Try a downgrade to .131 or lower?
    You do need to go down one more os in order for this this fix to work then you can go back to os 160. I have confirmed this works. I am Officially GPS enabled with Garmin removed from my phone....
    08-15-09 12:27 PM
    You do need to go down one more os in order for this this fix to work then you can go back to os 160. I have confirmed this works. I am Officially GPS enabled with Garmin removed from my phone....
    So go down one past .131 or just one below my current OS? Like .130 or .127 (if those numbers are even valid)? Then afterwords I will need to redo all the settings in QPST I am assuming and then I can freely upgrade my OS again, correct.
    08-15-09 12:39 PM
    Nevermind. It appears that the only downgrade for Alltel is .127. I will try this in a bit
    08-15-09 01:00 PM
    I've been trying to get this to work. I can connect to QPST and the ports are all fine, but I can't seem to find the gpsOne tab. does anyone have a screenshot of it? is it due to a specific version of QPST? I've used builds 215 and 231, and still no GPS tab. Any ideas?
    08-16-09 08:24 PM
    Would you recommend this fix if I can get my GPS to work with GoogleMaps, but not with a third-party app??
    08-20-09 12:05 AM
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

I never had a real problem with my GPS other than it really never worked very well... I just figured that was the way my phone was designed and didn't put much thought into it...

But after reading this thread and following the very well written instructions I'm in awe of my new GPS capabilities. I now have a GPS lock when I'm in my apartment within seconds... I've never had a lock before! Google maps always had me within 1500 meters with cell tower location. Now I'm within 50 meters, and I'm in a concrete building. I cant wait to try it out while outdoors or in my car!

I would like to thank everyone, especially the OP, for there advice. Following the directions in the PDF made it an easy, but time consuming, endeavor

I had to downgrade to .131 which I found to be a bit of a pain... and it took me a while to configure my ports. But I think it was well worth the effort.

Thanxs again!

Corey

8330 curve
    os .161 (I think) down too .131
    Virgin Mobile Canada (I used the bell specs)
    08-20-09 01:04 AM
    This is was sickly simple on our 2 Pearls 8130 (Alltel and Vistax64). I just got a Curve (which trading screen size for suretype has not completely won me over).
    I updated my Alltel Curve to .169 yesterday, then later tried to unlock the GPS following the original PDF and original OP to no avail. There are now 33 pages on this thread and I'm not going to read through them even though I did browse several of them.

So I'm going to ask a question that I will later edit with the answer for future viewers who see this actual page with the same question. Of course the answer poster may quote this with colored answers also. I realize this information is probably posted in these some 33 pages, but the info probably should also be included in the OP.

1)Must I downgrade the OS from .169 (or any OS past .131) on my Alltel Curve to .131 before this will work?
    2) Is downgrading the same 30 minute process as upgrading?
    3) What is the best process to downgrade?
    4) Can I upgrade again after the GPS unlock process is complete?

thanks so much
    08-20-09 08:53 AM
    Hi All

Thanks for the instructions! I have a Curve 8300 from MTS Allstream (up here in the great white north) and all worked exactly as in the .pdf file using the Telus settings with OS .127 I now have GPS capability! I tried the GPSed and Garmin installation process but it didn't work.

Thanks Again!
    08-20-09 08:33 PM
    This is was sickly simple on our 2 Pearls 8130 (Alltel and Vistax64). I just got a Curve (which trading screen size for suretype has not completely won me over).
    I updated my Alltel Curve to .169 yesterday, then later tried to unlock the GPS following the original PDF and original OP to no avail. There are now 33 pages on this thread and I'm not going to read through them even though I did browse several of them.

So I'm going to ask a question that I will later edit with the answer for future viewers who see this actual page with the same question. Of course the answer poster may quote this with colored answers also. I realize this information is probably posted in these some 33 pages, but the info probably should also be included in the OP.

1)Must I downgrade the OS from .169 (or any OS past .131) on my Alltel Curve to .131 before this will work?

thanks so much
    I've got an Alltel Curve 8330m. I upgraded my phone from the .160 OS to .168 yesterday. I went through the gps programming process in the pdf document tonight and it was easy. The only software I used was the 5.0 version of Desktop Manager and the QPST software. I got to skip straight to step 2 like the pdf said. The problem is that my gps did not find the satellites as fast and easy as others said. After I ran the QPST program about 5 time I pulled the battery and it worked but still only found 5 satellites and not as fast as I hoped but less than 1 minute. The good news is that it was not finding the satellites at all before the programming process. Maybe it is just the skies here in South Carolina tonight. I hope it's faster tomorrow.
    Last edited by sarivers; 08-20-09 at 10:44 PM.
    08-20-09 10:41 PM
    I've got an Alltel Curve 8330m. I upgraded my phone from the .160 OS to .168 yesterday. I went through the gps programming process in the pdf document tonight and it was easy. The only software I used was the 5.0 version of Desktop Manager and the QPST software. I got to skip straight to step 2 like the pdf said. The problem is that my gps did not find the satellites as fast and easy as others said. After I ran the QPST program about 5 time I pulled the battery and it worked but still only found 5 satellites and not as fast as I hoped but less than 1 minute. The good news is that it was not finding the satellites at all before the programming process. Maybe it is just the skies here in South Carolina tonight. I hope it's faster tomorrow.
    I thought this was too good to be true. GPS not working today. I'm giving up on this issue.
    08-21-09 07:03 PM

thanks so much
    Answer:

#1 as I understand it you can not use UNCDM to retrieve your SPC code if your os is higher than .131... it only works for older os's. if you do not have your SPC code and need to use UNCDM to retrieve it you probably have to down your os to 131... at least thats the way I understand it.

#2 Yes

#3 I had too uninstall the old DM 5.0 and download the .131 exe file and run the loader.. probably the hard way but the only way I could do it.

#4 I think so as the os has nothing to do with the programing that QPST does.
    Last edited by goodB0Y; 08-21-09 at 08:57 PM.
    08-21-09 08:53 PM
    Answer:

#1 as I understand it you can not use UNCDM to retrieve your SPC code if your os is higher than .131... it only works for older os's. if you do not have your SPC code and need to use UNCDM to retrieve it you probably have to down your os to 131... at least thats the way I understand it.

#2 Yes

#3 I had too uninstall the old DM 5.0 and download the .131 exe file and run the loader.. probably the hard way but the only way I could do it.

#4 I think so as the os has nothing to do with the programing that QPST does.

#1 - I don't think he needs to run UNCDM to get the SPC on most Alltel phones. The pdf said it is 000000. That worked on mine. I was running Desktop Manager 5.0 and went straight to step 2 in the instructions.

My GPS worked yesterday after I finished but doesn't work today.
    08-21-09 09:48 PM
    My TELUS Curve 8330 now finds my location! It hasn't ever before, and I figured maybe mine was just defective.. 'til I found a post like this one a while back...

Up 'til now I was just too lazy to downgrade, get my MRL, and then upgrade again... but I did so, and now I can use my GPS! Woo-hoo!
    08-22-09 02:15 AM
    #1 - I don't think he needs to run UNCDM to get the SPC on most Alltel phones. The pdf said it is 000000. That worked on mine. I was running Desktop Manager 5.0 and went straight to step 2 in the instructions.

My GPS worked yesterday after I finished but doesn't work today.

I tried something different this morning and it worked. I have to see if it is permanent. I read somewhere that Verizon used PDE Position Calculation. Although I'm an Alltel customer that has been bought out by Verizon I thought I would try it. It worked. A lot of these solutions have not been permanent fixes so I will have to wait and see what happens.

The settings I used are below:

Alltel: (works for US Cellular too)
    PDE IP Address = 205.142.19.100
    PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = PDE (not Mobile as in the pdf document)
    Last edited by sarivers; 08-22-09 at 11:01 AM.
    08-22-09 10:58 AM
    Just got my curve from Sasktel. this is the second time I have used this tutorial and it worked great. The main issue is to change your port settings. As per the guide, all the check boxes were unchecked and thus hindering my GPS. But now it works great. Kudos guys. This should be a sticky.
    Last edited by jeffthehammer; 08-23-09 at 10:57 AM.
    08-23-09 10:47 AM
    WOW! This thread really took off! For some reason I hadn't been receiving email notifications for replies O_O; Anyways, I am glad that so many of you have been successful in unlocking your GPS.

I know there is alot of pages for me to catch up on and try to reply to so right now I'll reply to sarivers. I am originally an alltel customer and am now on verizon's network. I still am able to get a GPS lock from inside my house in about 10 seconds or less in Google Maps. I live in NC. What phone and OS are you using and are you having any problems using QPST to program the phone?

Although, gotta say, after reading your reply, I was worried my GPS wouldn't work as I hadn't used it for a long while, well before we became verizon. Glad to know mine still works and I hope you can get yours working as well.

I updated the main post with the .131 OS suggestion as well as a link and explanation for the Garmin trial. If there is anything else I should add, please let me know. I have to go into work but will be back in about 12 hours and will try my best to help anyone else with any problems.
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 08-23-09 at 11:04 AM.
    08-23-09 10:54 AM
    I just don't understand. This is at least the 3rd time that I have gone to bed after applying a fix that worked before I went to bed then to get up the next day and it doesn't work any more. Yesterday I was getting a gps lock in 10 seconds with anywhere for 7 to 10 satellites. Today no lock at all. I'm using an Alltel 8330m with the new Cellular South .169 OS. QPST worked like a charm. Went straight to step 2 since the Alltel phones use 000000 for the service programming code. Everything worked as described in the pdf document.
    08-23-09 08:27 PM
    What programs are you trying to get a lock with? BBMaps, Google Maps, etc?
    08-23-09 09:07 PM
    I'm using the BBMaps that came with the operating system. I also have Google Maps installed but even the few times bbmaps worked Google maps did not. Google maps triangulates with the cell towers and gets me within 1500 meters but no satellite locks. I also have GPSed installed that helped me get a lock when I had the 8330 but it doesn't help with the 8330m. The few times bbmaps locked gpsed would lock also. Could Verizon have a way of scanning their system and blocking those users that are not paying for their gps service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 07:26 AM
    Google Maps' GPS capabilities won't work with the 8330m's internal GPS chip. It is a known issue that Google has to fix. Until Google releases a version that recognizes the internal GPS chip, the 8330m will not get true GPS using Google Maps.

Verizon uses PDE authorization to gain access to their cell towers. VZNavigator and BBMaps have the authorization codes to access GPS information (other apps don't). It's quite possible that Alltel phones aren't completely combined with VZW yet.
    08-24-09 09:21 AM
    Google Maps' GPS capabilities won't work with the 8330m's internal GPS chip. It is a known issue that Google has to fix. Until Google releases a version that recognizes the internal GPS chip, the 8330m will not get true GPS using Google Maps.

Verizon uses PDE authorization to gain access to their cell towers. VZNavigator and BBMaps have the authorization codes to access GPS information (other apps don't). It's quite possible that Alltel phones aren't completely combined with VZW yet.
    hey there sarivers (and others with this issue)
    I believe what Xopher said has to be true. Please read below about the issues I was having and my final results.

MY CONCLUSION: As per my personal results and Xopher chiming in above me with an important note, I believe the GPS can be unlocked on the 8330 (not m) using any OS 4.5 and above and using the input numbers listed in the PDF & OP. For Alltel customers, it should be a 10 minute fix, but mine was about 8 hours of switching BB OSs, rebooting phone, rebooting Windows, using differnt DMs, etc. My success is marred by the fact I don't know what I did to get it working and by the fact it's working only in clear skies and outdoors. Reception is even splotchy in a car.

The synthesis (details in the OP & PDF):
    -Download QPST 2.7 b215
    -Download a BB Desktop Manager (4.5 or above...I don't know which is best for the Curve)
    -Open BB DM
    -Open Windows Device Manager to force BB ports between 1-4
    -Open QPST; write correct numbers to phone
    -Let phone reboot
    -Done

FACT: I've gotten my GPS to work* on my Alltel Curve 8330 (not m) under multiple OSs (.131 & .169) and using both PDE and Mobile for the PDE Transport with both Google Maps and BBmaps. The signal is weaker than my previous Pearl.

FACT: I attempted to fix and use GPS while indoors AND using an Otterbox Defender case.
    THEORY: The addition of an Otterbox Defender case while already being indoors may be the actual reason my signal seems weak and won't lock. I did not have a case of any sort on my Pearl 8130 and it worked great.

Interesting note: Regardless of the OS I used and the fact I wiped my phone twice in the process, the "fix" I used stayed from the first time I used QPST which leads me to wonder what really gets erased when one does a wipe. I surely thought the GPS setting would be reset to factory but it wasn't. So on a positive note, you only have to do the fix one time, and you can do it before down/upgrading.

FACT: My first GPS lock came after downgrading to OS .131 BUT(which took the bulk of my time as I either couldn't figure out the correct way to downgrade or it's a Vista x64 problem) an IMPORTANT note is that after installing .131 was also the FIRST time I decided to go wait outside and give it 5 minutes to try a lock. It wish I had done this right away while I did the "fix" under .169 because it may have worked then. Why didn't I? Well, when I did the fix to my Alltel Pearl, it worked right away indoors, so when it didn't work under .169 on my Curve right away, I figured it was an OS problem, not an indoor/outdoor problem.

Additional Note:
    My GPS locks so far only under this condition, that I open BBmaps, click find my location, then open Google Maps and let it attempt for 10 seconds, then switch back to BBmaps and refresh the search.

I apolgize that this post isn't concise. Hope the info helps troubleshoot your problem.
    08-24-09 10:35 AM
    Has anyone made any progress in terms of fixing the GPS on the Tour? As far as I have read, the GPS is only working fully for Verizon customers (ie: Google Maps). The rest of us likely need to do the edits described previously in this thread, but without being able to read the SPC code, we are stuck! Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
    08-25-09 05:59 PM
    I'm not sure what to believe at this point. All I know is that I've applied at least 3 different fixes that lasted one day. I'm an old Alltel customer that was devoured by Verizon. My gps worked with Alltel before Verizon bought out Alltel. Immediately when the system was switched to Alltel I began having problems. When I went to Verizon for help they gave me an Alltel 8330m to replace my 8330. Verizon does not have a very good history in South Carolina as being customer friendly especially when it comes to allowing access to the free gps (BBMaps) that came with the curve. I've got one more year on my contract and if things don't get better before it ends I'm going to take all four of my phones to another cell provider. Im sure you can tell Im fed up with Verizon.
    08-25-09 08:04 PM
    8330 Verizon, did the pdf to the t and nada thing.
    08-25-09 08:42 PM
    Works awesome...Thanks!!
    Last edited by vix02; 08-25-09 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Didn't read entire thread
    08-25-09 09:28 PM
646 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD