WinXP
    BB 8800/8310
    RIM Virtual Serial Port (COM 1/2)
    UniCDMA 2.1 (the 8800/8310 are not Qualcomm-based, but TheHeartlessHero lists 8800 data as read)
    QPST 2.7 Build 215
    DM 4.6.0.19

For both phones, UniCDMA says 'phone not connected'. Well, the 8800/8310 are not CDMA phones so maybe this isn't the right software. Can you please suggest something?

Edit: Same for QPST. It says no phone connected, while DM4.6 displays the PIN and works fine. Also I can query the phone on COM 1 with AT+GMM. The response is RIM BlackBerry Device 8D000F03 2.7.0.1 so I know it is connected!
    Last edited by flop; 01-31-10 at 12:58 PM.
    01-30-10 10:24 AM
    didnt work
    01-30-10 03:01 PM
    Cdma-modding apps find my modems and they do not find my BBs. They state 'no phone connected', and attempting to query anyway causes stack overflow errors (I tried lots of apps). I think the CDMA approach is a dead end.

I tried some AT commands from XP and found the BB responds on COM 1. I really hope this didn't make things worse because I don't know what all the commands do and I'm not able to send SMS from an 8310 at the moment - BB says in red letters that the 'service not implemented' !!

Anyway, if it really should work with all BB's then I think DM4.6.0.19 is a weak link. Maybe I am using a newer build of DM than the one this guide was created with? Alternatively, does the DM verify the BIS/PIN when making an internal COM link? If it did that, then it might be causing my missing phone problem because I'm not on BIS. Are there any alternatives to using DM?
    Last edited by flop; 01-31-10 at 12:42 PM.
    01-30-10 06:14 PM
    Resolved at last. That was a waste of time!

Took the BB for a long walk with Google Maps assisting its autonomous fix and the blasted thing has finally found its country! My ports seem bodged though and DM4.6 does not work. Nevermind :P
    Last edited by flop; 01-31-10 at 08:13 PM.
    01-31-10 11:51 AM
    The stupid Bing app works with GPS on vzw. works like a charm! although its HUGE 1.5mb and runs very slow. Tried to connect my bbmaps with that running the GPS in the background and its a no go. Guess vzw REALLy wants people to use vznavigator or its bloated Bing app. BTW i'm running a Nathanix hybrid V2
    02-03-10 02:26 PM
    I feel I should share my success.
    Carrier: us cellular
    Model: curve 8330m
    Settings: computor running vista. Used latest DM(5.0?) used qpst build 215 with the second set of usc settings listed in the first post.
    Results: could never get any kind of signal before, now bbmaps will find about 12 sats on average in about 10 seconds. Google maps wil also pinpoint my location in about 5-6 seconds. Has been functioning this way for about 5 days now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by neobudda; 02-13-10 at 12:46 PM.
    02-13-10 12:21 PM
    P.S. I really feel like this thread should be stickied

02-13-10 12:43 PM
    Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get QPST to connect - and yes, I've backdated to .127 from .169. I'm using QPST build 215, I've tried all the suggested settings, but keep getting an "incorrect SPC" error. I know I have the right numbers since ##123456 will bring up a CDMA Service edit screen on the phone. Any suggestions?
    02-27-10 11:24 AM
    Had a BB Curve 8330 which worked fine for BB Maps, Google Mobile and Garmin Mobile for 11 months. Then my BB got a JVM 102 error and USC support could not clear the error and sent me a new phone. The new phone did not work for GPS and after many hours working with support they decided to send me another phone, this time a re-furb. The re-furb did not work and they sent me another re-furb which did not work also so kept the new phone and found the solutions listed on this thread. I did notice that the original phone I had was a 8330 (ESN) and the new phone and re-furb�s were 8330m (MEID).

Tried the unicdma ver 1.095 and 2.1 and could not get either of them to work with the HEX address listed in the pdf by HouseApe, don�t know enough about hex address�s to try others. Called USC support and they gave me the unlock code. Used QPST ver 2.7 build 215 and the unlock code from USC support and was able to get QPST to work. The PDE IP, Transport & Calc were blank. Filled in the infro recommended by amccutchan and Jimbo5000.

PDE IP Address = 64.58.50.45
    PDE Port Number = 8889
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = Mobile

My BB phone is a 8330m CDMA v4.5.0.169 Platform 3.4.0.51 Call your USC support and get the unlock code, much easier then a downgrade to another version.

Got satellites on Garmin Mobile, BB Maps & Google with-in 15 seconds sitting at my kitchen table.

Never thought this was going to work for me, but thanks to HouseApe, Jimbo5000, Amccutchan and the rest of the posters. This is a great site.
    03-03-10 07:06 AM
    Glad you got it to work.
    03-04-10 12:00 AM
    i have a 9630 cellular south and 5.0.0.497 (hybrid). all gps apps get a gps lock except for google maps. will this fix it?
    03-04-10 02:46 PM
    [QUOTE=rrjohnson;4768785] Called USC support and they gave me the unlock code. Used QPST ver 2.7 build 215 and the unlock code from USC support and was able to get QPST to work. .

PDE IP Address = 64.58.50.45
    PDE Port Number = 8889
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = Mobile
    QUOTE]

After reading this and talking with a friend at USCC I determined that the ##123456 - while getting me into a menu, was not the the unlock code. I'd already upgraded back to .169, and using the correct number from him, the QPST connection went through no problem.

I'd tried the Help Me! hidden menu fix already (had re-enabled gps with that, but not fixed all the issues), so everything was filled in with the correct values except the "mobile" menu item. The check boxes weren't filled in either, so had to update that. Google maps is locking in almost instantly and with accuracy of 8 meters. Cacheberry (for geocaching) still requires a different program to start the gps, but then it seems to be working fine, and it is definitely starting the compass feature much faster. I think the not loading issue is something cacheberry specific, so will post on their forum and see what I can find out.

Thanks to everyone here for this great thread, and for the support to get things running right on these phones!
    03-04-10 09:37 PM
    i need get QPST 2.7 Build 301.... where???????????
    03-16-10 01:43 PM
    sorry, this is a really stupid question =)
    If you downgrade your OS and make all the changes following the instructions for QPST, when you go to upgrade your OS and restore your BB, the settings you've changed for GPS stay in effect?

Thanks
    03-19-10 08:11 PM
    I got an unlocked verizon StormII(9550) last year. Do I need to fix it ? How can I know whether my BB's GPS works well ? I am new to StromII , thanks!
    03-22-10 11:05 PM
    Any successfully accomplished this fix with a Telus 8330 with the 5.0.0.169 v5 hybrid? I can't get a read with UniCDMA
    03-25-10 05:20 PM
    I have a US Cellular 8330 that will work with the cell site giving GPS location to 1000 meters ect. I live in far Western Maryland and can only be in the shadow of one cell tower normally. Now when I get in a city type setting this thing act more like a true GPS unit because it can triangulate between so many towers. My question is ....is the 8330 really capable of TRUE GPS satellite tracking with the imformation I have been seeing? I am not sure anyone has mentioned the tower vs. true satelite reception. I currently use a Delorme Earthmate BT20 with my Blackberry connected via Bluetooth and that works on BB maps and Google along with Google satellite view.
    I would REALLY like to have it (true satellite) in my BB as it should be.

Thanks
    Last edited by MB21532; 03-27-10 at 08:06 AM.
    03-27-10 07:26 AM
    I have a US Cellular 8330 that will work with the cell site giving GPS location to 1000 meters ect. I live in far Western Maryland and can only be in the shadow of one cell tower normally. Now when I get in a city type setting this thing act more like a true GPS unit because it can triangulate between so many towers. My question is ....is the 8330 really capable of TRUE GPS satellite tracking with the imformation I have been seeing? I am not sure anyone has mentioned the tower vs. true satelite reception. I currently use a Delorme Earthmate BT20 with my Blackberry connected via Bluetooth and that works on BB maps and Google along with Google satellite view.
    I would REALLY like to have it (true satellite) in my BB as it should be.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it's mention further up in this thread the type of GPS the Curve 8330 uses. It's GPS-A, or assisted GPS. It DOES get GPS, but is assisted with the data from towers. Towers can not triangulate to less than 500 of meters generally, but I consistently get my Google Maps to show me within 10 meters.

Some more proof: I've often used my phone as a GPS while driving, and when I go into an area with bad reception and the phone goes to 1x, Google Maps still shows me on the map moving, but displays no map, just a little blue dot on the screen.

Again, this is re-hashing what you must have skipped in reading on the first few pages. Please go back and read.
    03-28-10 08:37 AM
    I cant get my blackberry to show up under Ports (COM & LPT) in the Device Manager. All that is showing up is Communications Port (Com 1) and ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

The Blackberry shows up in Universal Serial Bus controllers as Blackberry Smartphone.

How can I still do this. I am a Telus Canada member and have never had GPS working on my 8350i.
    Last edited by ryanmercer30; 03-28-10 at 12:18 PM.
    03-28-10 12:14 PM
    Anyone got any ideas?

03-30-10 07:56 AM
    Anyone got any ideas?

What OS are you running on your PC ?
    03-30-10 10:26 AM
    Any successfully accomplished this fix with a Telus 8330 with the 5.0.0.169 v5 hybrid? I can't get a read with UniCDMA
    You will have to go back to OS 4.5.138 or earlier to read your SPC. If you have your SPC then yes it will work with OS 5.0
    03-30-10 10:30 AM
    What OS are you running on your PC ?
    I am running Window XP with the newest service packs/updates. I could use my girlfriends laptop with Vista on it if I need too.

04-01-10 08:29 AM
    You will have to go back to OS 4.5.138 or earlier to read your SPC. If you have your SPC then yes it will work with OS 5.0
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    04-01-10 11:05 PM
    Anyone have any ideas with my problem I am having up a couple posts.

04-03-10 06:05 PM
646 ... 23242526
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD