I'm familiar with the whole qpst adding the server settings and all since i've done it on two HTC phones that i've had in the past, so that part went really smooth for me but I didn't have any luck even after I applied those settings to my curve. I then upgraded my .127 to .131 from sprint (i'm on alltel) and still nothing, did a battery pull then went outside again and fired up google maps, at first it said accurate to 4200 meters for a few seconds then I guess I got a lock cause it showed exactly where i stood. Then I went into BB Maps and it works and shows like 11 satellites but it will drop them and say searching satellites all the while google maps stays locked, I don't care i'm happy that it at least works! Thanks alot guys!!!
    05-21-09 09:34 AM
    I struggled with trying to fix this last night for almost 4 hours. I decided to give it up and come back to it tonight. Success! I was able to get 9 satellites in about 20 seconds!

Carrier: USCC
    Model: 8330m

If anyone is interested, I used Windows 7 to make my changes. I have it set up to dual-boot on my iMac. UniCDMA could not read my port, but when I went into QPST Configuration and added my COM ports, it was then able to find my phone. Hope this helps someone.

And...

Thank you Heartless Hero for posting this on here so we can all enjoy the full functionality of our Crackberries!
    05-22-09 09:58 PM
    Ok went over the whole thread lastnight. Feeling a little knub in the brain. I have a 8330 curve just purchased from alltel that I want I have just about all the software to do this I think I am finishing downloading the ver 4.6 desk top, Hex, and the Qpst. Is there anything else that I will need except alot of patients...lol
    05-25-09 12:58 PM
    Ok having problems getting my hads on a good download of unicdm and Qpst. can anyone put up these or give me a good link to one. I signed up on mobile files dot com and havent even recieved a activation email and I did this earlier today before one oclock. some one please help.
    05-25-09 04:02 PM
    I haven't taken the time to go through all of the steps. Started once, but got jammed up somewhere along the line. Nonetheless, except for one guy with a really huge house who said he had like 12 satellites in his house, I think most VZW folks have not had success getting a quicker lock or more satellites.

However, and I haven't had the time to control all the variables, But I *seem* to get a quicker and more consistent lock with:
    Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options - Network Selection Mode: HOME ONLY
    and
    doing alt-LGLG - Menu - Clear Log, before opening BBMaps.
    Before I made those changes, invariably I had to do a batt pull in order for BBMaps to get a lock.
    Maybe it's just coincidence, Maybe VZW changed something on their end around the same time I started doing this, but, I'm getting a little more Like (not Love)

Oh, and if you're one of the very few who bothers to do a search before just barging into a thread and posting your question that a zillion people have posted before, here's a little something to get the search engine's attention.

VZW, Verizon, GPS Third-Party Apps Google Maps, Curve, Pearl, 8330, 8130

THE ONLY GPS APPS THAT WORK WITH VZW PHONES (EXCEPT THE STORM) ARE BBMaps AND VZNAV (IF YOU PAY FOR IT)
    THIS FIX WILL NOT "FREE UP" YOUR GPS
    GOOGLE MAPS USES TRIANGULATION WITH CELL TOWERS (LIKE ON THE COP SHOWS YOU WATCH TOO MUCH OF) IT DOES NOT USE YOUR GPS ON A VZW PHONE.

If you've wasted an hour of your life downloading and installing 3 or 4 different applications, bricked your phone, resurrected your phone and now you're p*ssed b/c Amaze doesn't work on your VZW 8130, you've only got yourself to blame b/c you didn't take the time to research your problem.

I'm sure someone out there thinks I'm an *sshole, but I certainly feel better.

Peace out.
    Last edited by FirePsych; 05-26-09 at 06:08 PM.
    05-26-09 01:26 PM
    I haven't taken the time to go through all of the steps. Started once, but got jammed up somewhere along the line. Nonetheless, except for one guy with a really huge house who said he had like 12 satellites in his house, I think most VZW folks have not had success getting a quicker lock or more satellites.

However, and I haven't had the time to control all the variables, But I *seem* to get a quicker and more consistent lock with:
    Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options - Network Selection Mode: HOME ONLY
    and
    doing alt-LGLG - Menu - Clear Log, before opening BBMaps.
    Before I made those changes, invariably I had to do a batt pull in order for BBMaps to get a lock.
    Maybe it's just coincidence, Maybe VZW changed something on their end around the same time I started doing this, but, I'm getting a little more Like (not Love)

Oh, and if you're one of the very few who bothers to do a search before just barging into a thread and posting your question that a zillion people have posted before, here's a little something to get the search engine's attention.

VZW, Verizon, GPS Third-Party Apps Google Maps, Curve, 8330

THE ONLY GPS APPS THAT WORK WITH VZW PHONES (EXCEPT THE STORM) ARE BBMaps AND VZNAV (IF YOU PAY FOR IT)
    THIS FIX WILL NOT "FREE UP" YOUR GPS
    GOOGLE MAPS USES TRIANGULATION WITH CELL TOWERS (LIKE ON THE COP SHOWS YOU WATCH TOO MUCH OF) IT DOES NOT USE YOUR GPS ON A VZW PHONE.

If you've wasted an hour of your life downloading and installing 3 or 4 different applications, bricked your phone, resurrected your phone and now you're p*ssed b/c Amaze doesn't work on your VZW 8130, you've only got yourself to blame b/c you didn't take the time to research your problem.

I'm sure someone out there thinks I'm an *sshole, but I certainly feel better.

Peace out.

Perhaps add the Verizon Pearl 8130? You mentined it in the latter - not sure if it was by mistake or not. It appears there it will not work as well. There have been no postings stating success.

If anything, you did save at least one person some time and trouble. Thanks
    05-26-09 05:06 PM
    Done :-)
    Should I pre-emptively add the 9630? ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 06:10 PM
    Done :-)
    Should I pre-emptively add the 9630? ;-)

haha- Probably wouldn�t be a bad idea.
    05-27-09 03:33 PM
    I just went through all 23 pages and didn't see anyone trying this on their 8220/8230. I just got my 8230 yesterday and I can't get my GPS working.

I got GPST to recognize my phone, but there is no GPSone tab to modify the settings. I'd post a screenshot, but I don't have enough posts yet.

Am I just out of luck
    05-28-09 10:13 PM
    Where do I start? Reading posts on my bb, but I see different versions of the guide, where is the latestd?

05-28-09 10:42 PM
    This is my current version

Attachment 26075
    05-29-09 09:25 AM
    so i gotta bell 9530 and i am having trouble getting my memory and starting address. i've tried all the different ones in the tut. so im stuck at getting my spc. i've searched high and low trying to find anything that might help. so i am resorting to posting. I have a feeling that bell uses a different memory/starting address because i plugged my phone in and started qpst and looked around in there for a bit. i've noticed other storms from telus or vz are surf7500a, i seen surf7600. would that be enough to have a different mem/start addy? any insight would be great thanks
    05-29-09 11:47 AM
    Doubt it my verizon storm is noted as a 7600 also and I can modify all i want but still no satellite at this point. I am wondering if my issu is related t running a storm on Alltel or what.....
    05-29-09 02:12 PM
    Hey All,

I went thru the steps with my buddy's Telus Storm. It seemed to work perfectly. Followed the pdf to a "t". However, even after several battery pulls, BB maps will not lock on.

Should I repeat the process?

I made sure I used the Storm's settings.

PS I double checked QPST and the settings were saved to the phone. I switched it to PDE from Mobile and did a battery pull and still no go. I'm going to go back to mobile and hope for the best.

Thanks
    Last edited by pchannan; 05-29-09 at 05:47 PM.
    05-29-09 05:28 PM
    so i gotta bell 9530 and i am having trouble getting my memory and starting address. i've tried all the different ones in the tut. so im stuck at getting my spc. i've searched high and low trying to find anything that might help. so i am resorting to posting. I have a feeling that bell uses a different memory/starting address because i plugged my phone in and started qpst and looked around in there for a bit. i've noticed other storms from telus or vz are surf7500a, i seen surf7600. would that be enough to have a different mem/start addy? any insight would be great thanks
    Are you getting an error in uniCDMA or are the codes that you find just not valid?
    05-30-09 09:22 AM
    Hey All,

I went thru the steps with my buddy's Telus Storm. It seemed to work perfectly. Followed the pdf to a "t". However, even after several battery pulls, BB maps will not lock on.

Should I repeat the process?

I made sure I used the Storm's settings.

PS I double checked QPST and the settings were saved to the phone. I switched it to PDE from Mobile and did a battery pull and still no go. I'm going to go back to mobile and hope for the best.

Thanks
    What does the error log say? (Alt + LGLG) You could have a hardware problem with the GPS chip.
    05-30-09 09:25 AM
    I have not paid for gps fee but I heard it's free, but my gps never works; would this help?
    05-31-09 04:34 PM
    Are you getting an error in uniCDMA or are the codes that you find just not valid?
    yeah its a read error, so its like the memory length and start address arn't right, i assume. i've heard of problems with vista x64, but im running it in compatibility mode for xp sp2 and i run it as admin. so all in all it should work.
    05-31-09 04:37 PM
    Not sure if I missed something. I did the procedure and it did allow the GPS to access. Bit the next morning when I got up I lost the ability yo find the GPS. I had to boot Telnav and then it worked. I waited another morning and then reprogrammed the phone again. It worked, the lost it over night.

Alltel

All programs are of the versions specified, and some were hard to find, but I did.

Can anyone help me with this? What am I missing? Thanks for the fix by the way.

05-31-09 05:18 PM
    yeah its a read error, so its like the memory length and start address arn't right, i assume. i've heard of problems with vista x64, but im running it in compatibility mode for xp sp2 and i run it as admin. so all in all it should work.
    If your running OS .138 you need to down grade to .131 or lower as you will get the error or the problem is Vista

05-31-09 07:20 PM
    Not sure if I missed something. I did the procedure and it did allow the GPS to access. Bit the next morning when I got up I lost the ability yo find the GPS. I had to boot Telnav and then it worked. I waited another morning and then reprogrammed the phone again. It worked, the lost it over night.

Alltel

All programs are of the versions specified, and some were hard to find, but I did.

Can anyone help me with this? What am I missing? Thanks for the fix by the way.

Just try a battery pull and see if the GPS comes back.

05-31-09 07:23 PM
    Did that several times.. work.. but then by morning it is gone again.

05-31-09 08:57 PM
    If your running OS .138 you need to down grade to .131 or lower as you will get the error or the problem is Vista

i take it you meant .148? im pretty sure i read this elsewhere or earlier in this thread that it writes it to the firmware of the device and not the o/s? so if i downgrade to 131 and back up to 148 im still good to go? worth a shot i guess. i just want google maps to work, its so much faster at loading than bb maps.
    05-31-09 09:14 PM
    Did that several times.. work.. but then by morning it is gone again.

Yep I have the same problem sometimes. Just have to live with it.
    06-01-09 09:05 AM
    i take it you meant .148? im pretty sure i read this elsewhere or earlier in this thread that it writes it to the firmware of the device and not the o/s? so if i downgrade to 131 and back up to 148 im still good to go? worth a shot i guess. i just want google maps to work, its so much faster at loading than bb maps.

Now that I'm on my PC I can see you have the Storm. Google Maps only works on the VZW Storm and not on the Bell or Telus versions so you just might want to stop now. But if you do want to give it a shot then the reason I suggested to downgrade the OS is certain version will give you errors in uniCDMA as it can not access the phones memory.
    06-01-09 09:10 AM
646 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD