I haven't been able to get my GPS to lock on any thing and I did the Real Fix but with no joy, so since 4.5.0.138 was out there, I wiped mine with JL commander and installed the slightly newer device OS, I was running 4.5.0.131

So far so good, I have GPS now! Before I it would work once in a blue moon which I had install several 4.5 OS's so doing the wipe and clear must have been the fix.

Strange thing after I upgraded to 4.5.0.138, I tried downloading BB maps and RIM's site told me my device wasn't supported so I re-sent service books and then it let me download and install it.
    05-07-09 01:40 PM
    Help Please!...

I've got an 8330 (OS 4.5.0.127) my Service Provider is MetroPCS

I followed all the steps on here and the .pdf tutorial but my GPS still doesn't work.

When I first checked the ports on Device Manager, it showed RIM COM 4 and COM 5. Being that my COM 1 & COM 3 were already in use, I changed only the COM 5 port to COM 2. I followed all the steps, everything seemed to work...once the phone restarts I run Google Maps but My Location does not load.

Also, when I dbl click the globe in my taskbar, it shows COM 1, COM 2 and COM 4 enabled...is this ok?

Before running the fix (and now) GPS never worked. Can someone help me please?
    Last edited by Greenz; 05-10-09 at 03:39 AM.
    05-10-09 12:22 AM
    Is you GPS location set to on and not 911?

Does BlackBerry maps work? Did you read the phone in QPST toi see if the port setting are still there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 11:02 PM
    Is you GPS location set to on and not 911?

Does BlackBerry maps work? Did you read the phone in QPST toi see if the port setting are still there.

GPS is set to ON.

BB Maps DOES NOT work. Doesn't pull up any satellites.

When I open QPST and click on the globe, it shows COM 1, 2, & 4. It reads the phone from COM 2. Still no GPS
    Last edited by Greenz; 05-12-09 at 12:45 AM.
    05-11-09 04:51 PM
    Did you check the gpsOne tab is the settings still there? Is all the boxes on the left has a checkmark?

05-12-09 09:26 AM
    I did. All the info was still there and the boxes were checked with BLACK check marks.

05-12-09 09:59 AM
    I shouldn't have to Upgrade the OS should I?

05-12-09 11:17 AM
    I know that this fix will not free up Google Maps, etc...

Folks w/ the VZW 8330, have you found that this fix gets you a quicker and more consistent satellite lock on BBMaps?

Thanks,
    I just did this and verified the settings twice. The result:

Slower connection to sats in BBMaps [10-12 secs.] and no other GPS only apps will work. GoogleMaps works but only thru tower triangulation [accuracy with 4200 meters].

Any suggestions for a 8330/VZW/4.5.0.131 user?

TIA
    05-12-09 01:35 PM
    I shouldn't have to Upgrade the OS should I?

what you running? .131 or .138 works good
    05-12-09 11:51 PM
    I just did this and verified the settings twice. The result:

Slower connection to sats in BBMaps [10-12 secs.] and no other GPS only apps will work. GoogleMaps works but only thru tower triangulation [accuracy with 4200 meters].

Any suggestions for a 8330/VZW/4.5.0.131 user?

TIA
    You will not get anything other than BB maps to work on VZW. Its now slower????
    05-12-09 11:53 PM
    what you running? .131 or .138 works good
    I'm running 4.5.0.127
    05-13-09 08:40 AM
    Time to upgrage try .138
    05-13-09 01:26 PM
    awesome guide, mate, i got it up and running on my Alltel Curve 8330. For some reason, BB Maps refused to get a lock at first, no matter what I tried, but I opened google maps, it found the satellites, and now BB Maps and Nav4All work without any issues.
    05-13-09 04:46 PM
    Time to upgrage try .138
    Ape, I tried the Upgrade. It didn't work. Once it was done, I checked my About in the Options, and it still showed 4.5.0.127.

All the Upgrade did was wipe out my browser and some other core applications...I had to run DM and Update those missing apps.

I have a feeling its MetroPCS.
    05-13-09 05:08 PM
    Ape, I tried the Upgrade. It didn't work. Once it was done, I checked my About in the Options, and it still showed 4.5.0.127.

All the Upgrade did was wipe out my browser and some other core applications...I had to run DM and Update those missing apps.

I have a feeling its MetroPCS.
    Do it this way. It will work for any carrier
    05-14-09 08:58 AM
    I have a Curve 8330m from Cellular South (SE US) and applied the GPS FIX. Everything worked fine, but I still only have GPS with SOME apps, I am, however running .127. I will update to .138 and post results here.
    05-14-09 09:00 AM
    Do it this way. It will work for any carrier
    That is the way I had done it. Nonetheless, I will try again today. I'll keep u posted...
    05-14-09 11:17 AM
    Updated and OS is good to go, but no dice on the GPS ! I have a dedicated thread in the 83xx now for this issue!
    Thanks
    05-14-09 11:24 AM
    I'm new to my Alltel 8330 and have been following this and other threads on getting the GPS to work. I updated the OS and followed the PDF which went as expected. But no GPS on BB Maps.

Following an earlier post on this thread, I downloaded Google Maps, now BB Maps works with the GPS. Go figure! But it works!

Now to get used to the browsers...I have to learn all the little tricks!

Thanks to all the contributed to the fixes!
    05-14-09 08:42 PM
    Help Please, I am having problems with my BB 8330. I am doing the gps fix, but I can't get my SPC. I have used unicdma 1.096 (newest version I could get) and the memory address I use (0x1067ed90 length 1703936) and others come up with a "read error" on unicdma 1.096 (desktop 4.7 is open, unicdma shows all the phones vitals on the left so I know it is connected). Please help.
    05-15-09 09:49 AM
    If your running OS .138 then you will get that error. Just downgrad to .131 or lower get your SPC then upgrage and do the "Fix".

05-15-09 08:43 PM
    Have an Alltel 8330. Running 4.5.0.131. GPS already worked, but I did the tweak anyway. Not getting more satellites but it definetely locks on faster. Thanks for the tutorial.
    05-15-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks HouseApe that got it. I found the spc and then followed instructions for gps fix. No dice. GPS still not working with bbmaps or gpsed. Did battery pull, firewall disabled. nothing.
    It is a us cellular 8330 blackberry. If anybody has suggestions I am open to it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ahent; 05-16-09 at 09:15 PM.
    05-16-09 12:49 AM
    Carrier: Sasktel
    Model: curve 8330

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but after carefully following the instructions on page 1, QPST still does not connect to my phone.

More detail,
    **on Part II
    -SPC is already 000000 (confirmed by dialing ##000000) ... do I need to do anything here then?
    -went through Part II, and was able to read information, see below

*com ports change, first attempt:
    -com 4 > moved to com 2
    -com 5 > moved to com 4
    --unicdma would read com 4 but not com 2

*second attempt:
    -reset com ports back to original
    -com 4 > left alone
    -com 4 > com 2
    --unicdma now reads com 2, not com 4

So, it seems the com port that originally shows up as com 5 is the one that can be read while the other cannot.
    -complete the steps to save the bin file from unicdma
    -did NOT use WinHex, as already know the SPC

*Part III-B
    -open QPST, still no connection despite repeating the above

**Questions
    -what ports should I change these to? Does it matter? It seems the original com 5 is the one listening, does it need to be changed to a certain com port?
    -for JBG - what did you mean when you said that you changed QPST to use com 5 and com 6 --how do you change QPST?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

In ref. to your question for me, when you first hook your blackberry to your desktop, it seems to automatically go to COM ports 5 & 6.

In the QPST program, it by default seems to look at lower port numbers (1 and 2, I believe) . When you first open QPST, go in the settings and change the ports it looks to.

Go to 'START', 'All Programs', 'QPST', and open 'QPST Configuration'. Click 'Ports' tab, then at bottom right click 'Add Ports'. Enter the Ports where your phone is located, and QPST should recognize your phone.
    05-16-09 04:37 PM
    Thanks to all for trying to get the GPS unlocked. After I did the fix, I read a little further and was disappointed to see that it doesn't work for Verizon. Personally, I don't buy all the bs about data usage and keeping the price down.

Still, it was fun trying. Google Maps does seem to be a little more accurate than it was before the fix so maybe it was worth it. HouseApe and HeartlessHero, Great job on the PDF files and tutorials. I take what you guys say as gospel!

Good luck to the rest of you with getting your GPS to work. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a TomTom.
    05-17-09 03:24 AM
646 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD