Just wanted to say thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! I now have a working GPS system!

HouseApe thanks so much for the PDF! One correction you may want to make on it is that it says if you have a 8130 to use qpst build 301 and I had to use 215 to get it to work.
    04-22-09 08:36 AM
    Just a quick ?

I went though the steps and got my gps working great( thanks by the way )

I was wondering if I'm going to have to do this again if I update my OS again.

Thanks for any info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You shouldn't as this write to the firmware.

04-22-09 09:29 AM
    Stand-alone mode is supported on device OS 4.7 and above as long as the application is signed. I believe stand-alone mode does not use the PDE.
    Actually all BlackBerrys with a Qualcomm chip can do GPS only. But on Verizon Celltower and GPS only is disabled.

GPS only mode really does not work well as the chip is just not powerful enuff. The Storm has the latest chip and its a good one. It can do GPS only fairly well.

I beleave on the Storm Verizon was not able to block the GPS only mode. So they finally gave in and that's why BlackBerry Maps started to work on all Verizon models early this year.

04-22-09 09:39 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! I now have a working GPS system!

HouseApe thanks so much for the PDF! One correction you may want to make on it is that it says if you have a 8130 to use qpst build 301 and I had to use 215 to get it to work.
    I have used.215 and .315 on a 8130. I know that there is a bad copy of 315 out on the net. Maybe you got one?

I should make about it.
    Thanks

04-22-09 09:42 AM
    I know that this fix will not free up Google Maps, etc...

Folks w/ the VZW 8330, have you found that this fix gets you a quicker and more consistent satellite lock on BBMaps?

Thanks,
    04-22-09 11:05 AM
    ok, i know i have done everything right. I have an 8330 on verizon. i followed the exact steps in the user guide, the phone programmed fine, but it is still asking me to activate VZNAV by dialing *611.

am i missing something, or can i NOT use this software for free via this fix?

And...when I go to donwload BBMaps, it tells me that my device does not meet the system requirements. WTF!
    Last edited by qwerty5555; 04-22-09 at 06:08 PM.
    04-22-09 06:01 PM
    This has nothing to do with VZNav and no you can not use that program for free.

On to the BlackBerry Maps. Do you have a data plan? And what OS version are you running?

04-22-09 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the quick response House!

I will delete VZNav off the phone. As far as your other questions...Yes, I do have the data plan. OS Version is 4.5.0.77

Thanks for the help!

On another note, do you think there will ever be a way to hack this thing to use Nav4All or anything else, or is BBMaps the only option?
    04-22-09 07:59 PM
    No way to hack it BlackBerry Maps and that it. The rest are all paid versions

04-22-09 08:11 PM
    Gotcha - So how do I get BBMaps on this thing?

When I went to download it - it told me that my phone is not supported!
    04-22-09 08:17 PM
    Get the latest OS from the 83xx thread and make sure that you install BlackBerry maps

04-22-09 08:52 PM
    Got it - thanks! I will report back if any trouble.
    04-22-09 08:56 PM
    I've been following this thread like crazy waiting for someone w/ tmobile to pop up and ask some questions on how to get a 8120 to work for this.

I just now realized my phone is GSM, not CDMA. Doh! Like 2 weeks later I realize this after legitimately reading like every post on here and dl'in the programs.

I haven't done anything with the programs I just have them, but I wanted to post since I thought it was worth a laugh.

04-23-09 07:48 AM
    thats cool
    04-23-09 09:36 AM
    you rock heartless. got my gps up and rinning now bbmaps and google maps run great. amaze is working too. thank you soo much
    04-23-09 07:34 PM
    What if ports 1-4 are in use? How can I find out what they are used for and to free them up?
    04-25-09 12:15 PM
    What if ports 1-4 are in use? How can I find out what they are used for and to free them up?
    QPST will work in other port numbers.

uniCDMA only works in port 1-4 (only needed for the SPC)

CDMA Universal work on all ports (Only needed for thr SPC functions same as uniCDMA)
    04-25-09 05:30 PM
    what is the ip address for t-mobile?
    04-26-09 12:58 PM
    8830WE

I've tried about every Address & Length I could find for UniCDMA and still get "error reading memory" displays...

Any ideas?
    04-26-09 07:42 PM
    Well, I guess it doesn't matter... Being I'm on Alltel, I used the generic input listed (not pulling the info and finding it on the hex editor) , and after setting it up in QPST it seems to have woke up the internal GPS a LOT.

Firstly, BBMaps/google maps NEVER found sats on their own. EVER. I had to get Nav4All loaded, and once I opened it and it found the sats (took forever), then BBMaps and Google would hit them.... Sorta...

I have never hit more than 6-7 birds outside. Right now, I'm inside a two story wood frame house and I'm hitting 11 sats on BBMaps.

I can now reboot, and hit sats in about 45 seconds or less with BBMaps, or Google maps on their own, without Nav4all being open. THAt was never possible. BBMaps would sit forever searching and never hit a thing.

Wow... Much props to the OP's that got his stuff under control and took time to spell it all out for us. I'm so very pleased. Thank you all.

Carrier: Alltel
    Model: 8830WE
    04-26-09 11:23 PM
    I have gotten this to work on my pearl 8130 but the verison had to be 86 it would not work with the latest update please email me if anyone has any questions fickej at hotmail dot com
    04-27-09 06:33 PM
    I asked about a week ago, and no one has addressed this directly.

If you're on Verizon and you make these changes, does BBMaps:

1) Lock onto satellites more quickly

2) Lock onto more satellites?

3) Stay locked once it finds satellites?

If not, does anyone know a fix for the eternal "Searching for Satellites"?

I've been searching Google and Yahoo. I've found lots of folks w/ the same complaint, but no one w/ a clear solution.

Done the battery pull, sent service books, changed network to Home instead of Automatic.

I've done Options, Status, typed in T E S T, done the GPS test, which fails consistently.

I've been outside w/ a clear sky.

Cleared the Log, cleared maps

I've spoken to VZW once or twice, but to be honest, I bought the phone off of Craig's List, so VZW isn't going to replace anything for me.

I've downloaded Unicode, done searches for qpst, messed w/ the ports. But before I kill any more brain cells w/ that, I want to know it's worth my while.
    04-29-09 01:05 PM
    I asked about a week ago, and no one has addressed this directly.

If you're on Verizon and you make these changes, does BBMaps:

1) Lock onto satellites more quickly

2) Lock onto more satellites?

3) Stay locked once it finds satellites?

If not, does anyone know a fix for the eternal "Searching for Satellites"?

I've been searching Google and Yahoo. I've found lots of folks w/ the same complaint, but no one w/ a clear solution.

Done the battery pull, sent service books, changed network to Home instead of Automatic.

I've done Options, Status, typed in T E S T, done the GPS test, which fails consistently.

I've been outside w/ a clear sky.

Cleared the Log, cleared maps

I've spoken to VZW once or twice, but to be honest, I bought the phone off of Craig's List, so VZW isn't going to replace anything for me.

I've downloaded Unicode, done searches for qpst, messed w/ the ports. But before I kill any more brain cells w/ that, I want to know it's worth my while.
    I have done this and can acquire 9 - 11 sats within 5 or 6 seconds. It will lose them every once in a while but it's much better than before. Don't worry about the other stuff just grab Qpst and use that. The code for VZ is 000000 (six zeros)
    04-29-09 04:35 PM
    Thanks HeartlessHero and HouseApe. Desperate to try anything, I did what HouseApe suggested and tried the Alltel settings on my VZW 8330 - still no love. BBMaps works (but always has). So I'm pretty convinced at this point that there is no work around for VZW customers.
    04-30-09 11:14 AM
    The only thing that works on VZW is BB Maps and VZWNav (Google Maps only on Storm and only on VZW) there is no walkaround at all.
    04-30-09 05:17 PM
646 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD