Does this work for a verizon 8830WE?
    04-17-09 01:48 PM
    AIM and Email back on track...as far as I can tell. I went back into QPST to make sure the settings were all there when it read from my phone...everything was as it should have been. However google maps still giving a 4400 meter location area.

I haven't really used BB Maps...i never found a way to see if got a "lock" or not. How would I check this? there is no GPS option, if thats what I am looking for.

Thanks for you help.
    04-17-09 03:58 PM
    AIM and Email back on track...as far as I can tell. I went back into QPST to make sure the settings were all there when it read from my phone...everything was as it should have been. However google maps still giving a 4400 meter location area.

I haven't really used BB Maps...i never found a way to see if got a "lock" or not. How would I check this? there is no GPS option, if thats what I am looking for.

Thanks for you help.
    Do you have your GPS set to 911 only ?

Go to Options > Advanced options > GPS > GPS Services and change it to "Location On" then press menu and Save

Next in BB Map press the menu button then "Start GPS Navigation" you should now get a GPS lock. It will be the satellite icon on the bottom in the middle with the number of Sat's your tracking.

Google Maps should now work.
    04-17-09 04:09 PM
    OK wonderful on step down seems to be working kinda...cannot seem to be able to completely lock on to a satellite google maps goes from location circle of 10 meters to 4400 meters back and forth. Any suggestions?
    04-17-09 04:34 PM
    Are you outside ?
    Might need another battery pull.
    Google maps is kind of flakey for me too.
    04-17-09 04:38 PM
    Does this work for a verizon 8830WE?
    Yes sure does. But you will only get BB Maps on Verizon so if its working now dont bother doing this.
    04-17-09 04:43 PM
    I'm so dumb...i went outside...and wow it works...thanks for all your help...11 sats. wonderful.
    04-17-09 06:50 PM
    I had a blackberry curve 8310. When i installed 4.2.1 os, gps work fine on it, max 5 sats. But when i upgrade to 4.3.5.124 os, gps don't work. I reinstall 4.2.1 gps still don't work. I think i have some problem with phone software.
    I want to ask one question: is there a software like QPST to access gps chip in 8310 and change Network Settings & Addresses.
    My carrierr:AT&T but i'm living outside america and i don't use any data plan.
    If not, can you suggest me what should do?
    Thanks!
    04-17-09 11:39 PM
    Ok I have a question. Is this guide supposed to enable celullar triangulation and gps so it's faster or it's just intented to tell the phone where the satellites are so it locks faster? I have tried it on my MetroPCS Blackberry Curve 8330M and it haven't changed anything... the lock time still a minute+ and google map still not working. I still need to be outside in order to locate myself, I want to be able to locate myself outside but when inside I wanna be able to celullar triangulate myself. I have tried everything and change the settings several times to test it and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
    04-18-09 11:43 AM
    I had a blackberry curve 8310. When i installed 4.2.1 os, gps work fine on it, max 5 sats. But when i upgrade to 4.3.5.124 os, gps don't work. I reinstall 4.2.1 gps still don't work. I think i have some problem with phone software.
    I want to ask one question: is there a software like QPST to access gps chip in 8310 and change Network Settings & Addresses.
    My carrierr:AT&T but i'm living outside america and i don't use any data plan.
    If not, can you suggest me what should do?
    Thanks!
    Sorry I have no Idea for GSM. But I do know you will need a data plan first.
    04-18-09 01:01 PM
    Ok I have a question...or it's just intented to tell the phone where the satellites are so it locks faster?
    Yes this is what it does in a nutshell. I know that their is a problem with Sprint right now not sure about MetroPCS.
    04-18-09 01:05 PM
    Yes this is what it does in a nutshell. I know that their is a problem with Sprint right now not sure about MetroPCS.
    What kind of problem you're talking about? and as of right now I can't lock to ANY satellite... idk if I should just reverse this process.
    04-19-09 02:41 PM
    In BlackBerry maps you can't get a lock? The problem with Sprint was on Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 03:50 PM
    Ok so this fix doesn't work for MetroPCS guys. My GPS on metro works fine, just takes like a minute or so to lock to satellites, so I tried this to see if I'd get a faster response but it was unsucessfull, I get the same amount of satellites in the same amount of time and sometimes it doesn't even lock to satellites. It's like if I never put in the info on the phone, I checked and it's there. I took out all the config so the GPS works fine now, but with this tutorial all it does is break the GPS and BTW with or w.o the tutorial Google Maps doesn't work on MetroPCS Blackberry 8330M (Branded not Flashed)
    04-20-09 04:08 PM
    This worked GREAT for my USCC 8330!

I can now actually use GPS enabled programs with the GPS features without having to wait for a lock.

Thanks!
    04-21-09 07:45 AM
    Hi all,
    Clearly I have too much time on my hands. This may be helpful to all who is trying to develop GPS code on most of the VZW blackberry devices.

After trying this guide on my 8130 in the dashed hopes that I would be able to use Google Maps on my VZW 8130 (OS ver 4.5.0.77) with the same accuracy as BB Maps, I decided to fill some of that extra time up by understanding the PDE authentication process that BB Maps used.

Voila!

Starting with the GPSDemo sample in JDK 4.5,

I added the setPDEInfo call to the GPSDemo constructor before starting the GPS Locator thread.

GPSSettings.setPDEInfo("127.0.0.1;20000490;D4F38795175E4D0818A02C5385EAEA E8DC9561EB", 0);

Rather than default, I started the Location API with the following criteria:

Criteria criteria = new Criteria();
    criteria.setPreferredResponseTime(16);
    criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
    criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(20);
    criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POW ER_USAGE_HIGH);
    _locationProvider = LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria);

Making these changes to the sample project, I was able to get an extremely accurate longitude and latitude from the gps chip.

I would love to hear if others have success on other Verizon devices and firmware versions.

R
    Last edited by rgaski; 04-21-09 at 12:41 PM. Reason: fixed font spacing
    04-21-09 10:35 AM
    rgaski,
    Being a newbie myself and having reviewed this topic quite a bit I must ask you if I wanted to attempt this on my BB8330 how would I go about doing it? Thanks!
    04-21-09 11:25 AM
    Hi all,
    Clearly I have too much time on my hands. This may be helpful to all who is trying to develop GPS code on most of the VZW blackberry devices.

After trying this guide on my 8130 in the dashed hopes that I would be able to use Google Maps on my VZW 8130 (OS ver 4.5.0.77) with the same accuracy as BB Maps, I decided to fill some of that extra time up by understanding the PDE authentication process that BB Maps used.

Voila!

Starting with the GPSDemo sample in JDK 4.5,

I added the setPDEInfo call to the GPSDemo constructor before starting the GPS Locator thread.

GPSSettings.setPDEInfo("127.0.0.1;20000490;D4F3879 5175E4D0818A02C5385EAEAE8DC9561EB", 0);

Rather than default, I started the Location API with the following criteria:

Criteria criteria = new Criteria();
    criteria.setPreferredResponseTime(16);
    criteria.setCostAllowed(true);
    criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(20);
    criteria.setPreferredPowerConsumption(Criteria.POW ER_USAGE_HIGH);
    _locationProvider = LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria);

Making these changes to the sample project, I was able to get an extremely accurate longitude and latitude from the gps chip.

I would love to hear if others have success on other Verizon devices and firmware versions.

R
    Its not going to work as "Verizon requires third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for access to their Location Proxy Server (LPS)."
    04-21-09 11:39 AM
    What Is - Verizon GPSSettings signing requirement

Details
    The GPSSettings class is used to pass authentication information to the wireless network. In order for an application to make use of the GPSSettings.setPDEInfo method on a BlackBerry device using the Verizon Wireless� network, the application must be signed by the Research In Motion� (RIM�) Runtime (RRT) key. The PDE (Position Determining Entity) information required by the GPSSettings is supplied by Verizon� through Verizon�s developer program.

Failure to sign your application with this key will result in an error stating that the application is attempting to access a secure API and the application will fail to run.
    AFAIK this is still the case. Google apprently has paid for the Keys for use on the Storm
    04-21-09 11:49 AM
    HouseApe,
    You are confusing the two required authentication steps required to successfully use the full GPS service.

1) you must have keys to sign your compiled cod before you can run it on your blackberry.

yes, you get this from RIM. this step is required to allow you to call the api (regardless of the actual parameters). This is how Google Maps can access the LBS stack but cannot get the same accuracy as BB Maps. It can access the GPS info that is only as accurate as celltower triangulation. The app needs to authenticate with Verizon before it can get access to satellite information and get increased accuracy.

this is done before the application is loaded to the device.

2) you must have a client id and password in order to access the satellite information from the network.

yes, you get this from Verizon. Verizon requires you to authenticate on their network (by using the setPDEInfo API) before you start using the LBS api. If you do not, or the authenticate fails, you still have access to the LBS stack and the limited GPS accuracy as before but not the satellite enhanced service.

this step is done at runtime.

I believe what we are seeing in the example setPDEInfo API call is BB Map's authentication info and while impractical for commercial purposes does serve to demonstrate that the GPS chip is not crippled and that any third-party with proper credentials can indeed use these devices with the same level of service as the storm.

R
    04-21-09 12:35 PM
    Thanks so much for this guide - my GPS is now fully functional and responsive on my Curve. Despite TELUS denying it GPS functionality on my 8330 was disabled - none of the options were setup/configured upon reading the device config. As a result, the only GPS application that would function was the Telus Navigator at $10/month.

Although I could not read memory from my device to obtain the SPC (other users experienced similar problems trying to read the memory and having the device return nothing and disable wireless), I was able to call them and persuade them to tell me my 'lock code'. Trying to explain to them what the problem was specifically was truely painfull though - their level 1 techs should no enough to know when to immidiately escalate a call when what is being discussed is clearly well over their head.

Thanks again TheHeartlessHero!!!
    04-21-09 12:37 PM
    HouseApe,
    You are confusing the two required authentication steps required to successfully use the full GPS service.

1) you must have keys to sign your compiled cod before you can run it on your blackberry.

yes, you get this from RIM. this step is required to allow you to call the api (regardless of the actual parameters). This is how Google Maps can access the LBS stack but cannot get the same accuracy as BB Maps. It can access the GPS info that is only as accurate as celltower triangulation. The app needs to authenticate with Verizon before it can get access to satellite information and get increased accuracy.

this is done before the application is loaded to the device.

2) you must have a client id and password in order to access the satellite information from the network.

yes, you get this from Verizon. Verizon requires you to authenticate on their network (by using the setPDEInfo API) before you start using the LBS api. If you do not, or the authenticate fails, you still have access to the LBS stack and the limited GPS accuracy as before but not the satellite enhanced service.

this step is done at runtime.

I believe what we are seeing in the example setPDEInfo API call is BB Map's authentication info and while impractical for commercial purposes does serve to demonstrate that the GPS chip is not crippled and that any third-party with proper credentials can indeed use these devices with the same level of service as the storm.

R
    Yes thats what I said in my second post (although I should have said ID/Pass insted of Keys). Your explanation is better though.
    04-21-09 08:23 PM
    thx, yup, saying the same thing.

I am curious though ... as I don't have a storm I might guess (but can't confirm) VZW did not impose the setPDEInfo authentication requirement on the storm. do all third-party GPS apps work on the storm or only BB Maps and GMaps?

R
    04-21-09 10:00 PM
    Just a quick ?

I went though the steps and got my gps working great( thanks by the way )

I was wondering if I'm going to have to do this again if I update my OS again.

Thanks for any info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 01:26 AM
    I am curious though ... as I don't have a storm I might guess (but can't confirm) VZW did not impose the setPDEInfo authentication requirement on the storm. do all third-party GPS apps work on the storm or only BB Maps and GMaps?

R
    Stand-alone mode is supported on device OS 4.7 and above as long as the application is signed. I believe stand-alone mode does not use the PDE.
    04-22-09 07:31 AM
646 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD