I tried on my verizon bb 8330 and couldn't get qpst to see the phone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 04:06 PM
    You might have to add the port first.
    Go to QPST Configuration then in the bodem right cornner is the add new port button. Add the one that has your ESN listed
    04-01-09 05:37 PM
    You might have to add the port first.
    Go to QPST Configuration then in the bodem right cornner is the add new port button. Add the one that has your ESN listed
    Okay, I actually got some information from my phone - its number. Com6 showed phone number.

When I next try to run the Service program the only phone choices I have are 4 - all starting with FFA3100 or FFA3300 and subchoices of 1900 or 800 (which I guess are frequencies???)

Then what? I don't see the "gpsOne" TAB to click on..... for further delving....

I keep adding to this message..

Again, when I look at Device Manager I see FOUR (4) Rim Virtual Ports, com3, 4, 5 and 6. Com6 is the one in qpst that shows some vague reference to my phone - it shows the actual dialing number and I guess my esn (yup, my esn matches Status Info)
    Last edited by F2; 04-01-09 at 06:32 PM.
    04-01-09 06:01 PM
    Has anyone tried this on the WisePilot app from the App Store?
    I just performed it on my Verizon Storm and it helped the BBMaps get a lock quicker, but the Wisepilot still says no GPS Coverage...???
    04-01-09 06:24 PM
    I thought the Storm was already available to 3rd party gps apps???
    04-01-09 09:23 PM
    Okay, I actually got some information from my phone - its number. Com6 showed phone number.

When I next try to run the Service program the only phone choices I have are 4 - all starting with FFA3100 or FFA3300 and subchoices of 1900 or 800 (which I guess are frequencies???)

Then what? I don't see the "gpsOne" TAB to click on..... for further delving....

I keep adding to this message..

Again, when I look at Device Manager I see FOUR (4) Rim Virtual Ports, com3, 4, 5 and 6. Com6 is the one in qpst that shows some vague reference to my phone - it shows the actual dialing number and I guess my esn (yup, my esn matches Status Info)
    You need to use SURF6300-BB

What version of QPST are you using ? Use .215
    Last edited by HouseApe; 04-01-09 at 11:00 PM.
    04-01-09 10:58 PM
    Still a no go for me, managed to get QPST working and changed all the settings but still nothing....
    04-01-09 11:30 PM
    Still a no go for me, managed to get QPST working and changed all the settings but still nothing....
    make sure after you press "write to phone" you let it complete without closing any error boxes until the phone reboots. also make sure you have Location On in your phone settings
    04-01-09 11:38 PM
    Did both of those, and I re-checked with QPST to make sure all the settings were saved and they were.

EDIT: I tried, AmazeGPS, NAV4ALL, Google Maps to no avail. BBMaps works and always had...
    Last edited by coreyjohnson711; 04-02-09 at 12:01 AM.
    04-01-09 11:39 PM
    I dont think this works for Verizon.. Corey, is your IXEV showing up or is it showing up 1x ever since you did those changes???
    04-02-09 06:07 AM
    It's weird for sure. I've helped a couple people with Verizon and it has worked. Others it won't. Corey, what is your OS?
    04-02-09 06:56 AM
    Did both of those, and I re-checked with QPST to make sure all the settings were saved and they were.

EDIT: I tried, AmazeGPS, NAV4ALL, Google Maps to no avail. BBMaps works and always had...
    Do a battery pull. Then open BB maps let the data arrows stop then hit menu start gps nav.
    04-02-09 09:17 AM
    It's weird for sure. I've helped a couple people with Verizon and it has worked. Others it won't. Corey, what is your OS?
    What Blackberry models were successful for Verizon customers?

Due to a chipset shortage, some 8330 Curves came with Autonomous GPS capability along with assisted GPS (aGPS). Most Curves have aGPS only though.

That shortage made some 8330s effectively as functional as the 9530 Storm for GPS applications, as long as they support Autonomous mode (the recently released Google Maps 3.0.2 does).
    04-02-09 10:24 AM
    I have 1XEV, have OS 4.5.0.77. Interesting what above poster said, :/

EDIT: also tried what houseape said but still nada, bbmaps still works fine but nothing else
    Last edited by coreyjohnson711; 04-02-09 at 11:00 AM.
    04-02-09 10:43 AM
    Heartless....thanks so much. Worked great. Never was able to find the spc/msl code, but following your advice that it was probably 000000 worked. I believe I have exactly the setup that you started with (alltel, curve 8330)

Only two thing to add. The warnings at the end sound really dire. Don't know if your post had me prepared for those warnings. But the phone rebooted and was off and running just as you said it would.

And a last note....I am running Trimble Allsport. For some reason, separate from the GPS issues here, Allsport has trouble accessing the GPS. The fix so far is to run Trimble Outdoors first, then Allsport works fine. The guys at Trimble have been really cool about perpetually updating the "free trial" of Outdoors so that Allsport works. That is the only glitch I've noticed, and I believe it is a Trimble software problem, not a phone GPS problem.

Thanks again.
    04-02-09 11:42 AM
    What Blackberry models were successful for Verizon customers?

Due to a chipset shortage, some 8330 Curves came with Autonomous GPS capability along with assisted GPS (aGPS). Most Curves have aGPS only though.

That shortage made some 8330s effectively as functional as the 9530 Storm for GPS applications, as long as they support Autonomous mode (the recently released Google Maps 3.0.2 does).
    I did not know that. Look here http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/unl...-2-0-a-164709/ for more info (post 6, 9 & 10)
    04-02-09 03:10 PM
    Ah, so I'm pretty much S.O.L. Any other way I can get gps with some sort of bluetooth gps device?

04-02-09 06:33 PM
    I am running .113 on the Verizon Storm. I have tried the setup several times and no such luck. I am able to use BBMaps and Google Maps as before, but other 3rd party apps will not acquire the GPS signal.

Anybody have any suggestions?
    04-02-09 07:46 PM
    Thank you for the solution! I was able to get it to work, here are my details:

Curve 8330 (Alltel)
    Used BB Desktop Mgr 4.7
    OS 4.5.0.127

I used all software recommended:
    QPST 2.7 Build 215
    UniCDMA 2.1
    Hex Workshop

I had one change to the instructions for Alltel Network Settings:
    PDE IP Address, Port Number and Transport were correct, but I chose Position Calculation as PDE on my second try and it worked. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but now I have very accurate, very quick GPS signal!

Thank you very much for all the work you went through to provide this guide!
    04-02-09 09:24 PM
    I am running .113 on the Verizon Storm. I have tried the setup several times and no such luck. I am able to use BBMaps and Google Maps as before, but other 3rd party apps will not acquire the GPS signal.

Anybody have any suggestions?
    Read the link in my post ^^
    Seems that Verizon has locked out all 3rd party apps that use aGPS.

04-02-09 10:17 PM
    I have tried this before while messing around with QPST 215 on one of my 8130s, and no dice, didnt work for VZW.

Verizon
    4.5.0.131 (188)

if anyone finds that I am wrong, and your vzw berry works (aside from 9530 of course), i'd really love to know so i can unlock mine
    04-02-09 11:23 PM
    I have been following spark's posts and have exactly the same problem. 8330(VZW) 4.5.0.77. GPS works on BBMaps, nothing else. Ideas anyone?
    04-02-09 11:27 PM
    The root of the issue for aGPS on VZW is that their PDEs require authentication. You can plug the server and port information into the GPS NVRAM using the software tools mentioned previously, but 3rd-party applications can't take advantage of it since they don't provide the authentication key.

That's why I'm questioning the indications of success with VZW Blackberries mentioned in earlier posts on this thread; I suspect that they're because of the specific model of Blackberry (a rare 8330 with dual-mode GPS), or the 9530 with applications specifically designed to fall back to Autonomous mode when aGPS fails.
    04-03-09 06:23 AM
    Wow no one on VZW likes to read. This is from http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/unl...9/#post1733359

To an extent, yes. Assisted-GPS requires heavy data connectivity. Even those people paying for tethering and who can use a-GPS on other carriers are hitting the data caps when running GPS software. how happy would you be if you were cut off for high data usage a week into your billing cycle? Sprint customers have been having that happen and even having their entire phone shut off.

If the Curve had a higher capability GPS chip, then I'd be upset with VZW if it was locked down. But I can't blame them for trying to keep costs (and prices) down by not allowing ad-hoc access to the network from these features. As soon as the Storm came out, complete with the second true dual-mode GPS unit (Bold was first), VZW allowed its use, because it would run on pure GPS mode & not require any data other than what was already downloaded to the phone. If they were trying to keep people reigned in to VZNav, why wasn't the Storm locked as well?

Yes. Follow the logic for a moment.

Sprint has been trying (unsuccessfully) to retain market share. Last I heard, they had the highest negative churn in the industry. Because of this, they've been quietly overlooking data overages. This has led to network degradation and further customer unhappiness. It gets really bad when many Sprint users can't make a phone call on the first or even second attempt, instead getting "network busy, please try again later" intercepts. So they are now starting to crack down on the overages. If you tossed in extra database charges and large maps, this might put Sprint in the same league as VZW & refusing to allow it. But Google is Sprint-friendly and waives network access and assists in other ways. So, Google Maps can access the a-GPS chip.

There are several third-party apps and some GPS servers which don't require database access fees, but the data access is still required. VZW tends to look for a uniform approach. In this case, they allow VZNav, since you pay for that. They also allow BB Maps, since you do have a BlackBerry and RIM optimized the maps for low bandwidth.

I've heard tales from network engineers who specialize in bandwidth who tell me that for VZW to allow any third party app access to the a-GPS, the resulting costs would rise to a point of making VZW uncompetitive. Even without database access issues, the cost per line would rise an average of 8-10% across the board. Considering that VZW's per line profit is not in the number one or even number two position, they'd need to either degrade service or raise the monthly service rates of all customers. You might not have an issue paying 5-10% more just to have unrestricted GPS access, but what of the approximately 79,500,000 people who couldn't care less if they have GPS on their phone? Theirs would go up too.

From Wikipedia:
    A typical A-GPS-enabled cell phone will use a data connection (internet, or other) to contact the assistance server or a standard network connection for A-GPS information. If it also has functioning Autonomous or Standalone GPS, it may use standard GPS, which is sometimes slower on Time To First Fix, but does not lead to network dependent downsides, such a failure to work outside of network range, or charges for data traffic. Some A-GPS solutions do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS.
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More

Stupid Data charges on GPS Phone - Turn Off AGPS Assisted GPS | Blog Marco

Watch out for data charges on your GPS phone - Mobile Phones

GPS vs aGPS | Eten Blog dot Com

A little tidbit from this page (Mimzthings*::*Mobile Phone*::*Nokia Mobile Phone*::*Nokia Nseries*::*Nokia N96 Mobile phone - Grey) for the Nokia N96 tells us:

A-GPS is a network dependant feature that requires a data plan. Additional charges may apply. Downloading satellite images may involve the transmission of large amounts of data through your service provider’s network. Contact your service provider for information about data transmission charges.

You can whine & moan about it all day long, but the vast majority of VZW customers couldn't care less - so why would VZW choose to spend extra money to make a tiny number of people happy?

$75 for a Freedom Keychain or under $100 for Garmin or TomTom units with much larger screens. My Garmin software was $80 and the factory nav systems in my cars were over $1000 each. If it bothers you that much, go try Sprint. They are much more expensive than you think and they are getting ready to lock things down as far as data-access, just like AT&T is in the process of doing. Too many people are trying to get away with things without paying.
    Just out of curiosity has anyone with VZW tried Alltel, MetroPCS or Sprint PDE settings to see if they will work?
    04-03-09 10:12 AM
    I got GPS working on my Alltel 8830. The only gps program I had installed was BBMaps. The gps would not work until I installed Google Maps. Now both work.
    04-03-09 11:47 AM
646 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD