I left my 9650 for the Bionic months ago. I keep coming back hoping for good news without success. Rim is killing me. The Bionic is a great phone, no issues. I can't stand being beholden to google. I would be happen with OS7 if they would just release a 4G 9930 Berry with 1 gig of ram. I'll jump off a bridge before I go the apple way. Feeling pretty distressed. Why Rim why?
    Don't give me the BS we are worried about the battery or two radios because our engineers aren't as smart as everybody elses.
    Somebody tell me they are really going to release a OS10 berry THIS year. I want to come home, but I'm not willing to settle.
    Rim, your move.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-13-12 03:38 PM
    No one can say for sure, not even RIM as they have been known to miss dates but they do say before the end of the year.
    04-13-12 03:55 PM
    OP, why do you want 1 gig of RAM on the 9930? How would that help you out?
    04-13-12 03:59 PM
    OP, why do you want 1 gig of RAM on the 9930? How would that help you out?
    because 1GB is better than 768 duh!
    robluck82, grover5, dosto and 1 others like this.
    04-13-12 04:04 PM
    And it would improve the 9930 user experience how exactly? If the OP can answer that, I will try and put 10,000 gig RAM on my 2.2 ghz macbook. Cos you know 10000 gig is better than 2 gig RAM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-13-12 04:11 PM
    and google is mentioned.....................................?
    04-13-12 04:12 PM

LOL, I guess he explained that

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 04:13 PM
    And it would improve the 9930 user experience how exactly? If the OP can answer that, I will try and put 10,000 gig RAM on my 2.2 ghz macbook. Cos you know 10000 gig is better than 2 gig RAM.
    He probably wants the same amount of RAM that high end devices from the competition come with. 1GB is the standard for now.

I can't really think of any other reason unless he has a Bold and it has memory issues or something.
    04-13-12 04:15 PM
    and google is mentioned.....................................?
    Because they're filthy. The only ties I personally have to Google is my gmail account. I've even started using Bing. I can totally relate with the OP in that aspect.
    grover5 likes this.
    04-13-12 04:18 PM
    He probably wants the same amount of RAM that high end devices from the competition come with. 1GB is the standard for now.

I can't really think of any other reason unless he has a Bold and it has memory issues or something.
    The point I was trying to make was that the phone is fast and shows no evidence of being short of RAM. OP's desire is a bit strange. He likes OS7 but wants 1 gb RAM when 768 mb does a bang up job.
    SK122387 likes this.
    04-13-12 04:24 PM
    The point I was trying to make was that the phone is fast and shows no evidence of being short of RAM. OP's desire is a bit strange. He likes OS7 but wants 1 gb RAM when 768 mb does a bang up job.
    Agreed. That's why I couldn't think of any other obvious reasons besides wanting to have what others have.
    04-13-12 04:31 PM
    OP, the 9900 is 'advertised' as 4G, it's a 3G+ (H+) phone on the 4G network.

It's fast but not like 4G LTE.

Dump the droid and get a 9900
    04-13-12 07:14 PM
    OP, the 9900 is 'advertised' as 4G, it's a 3G+ (H+) phone on the 4G network.

It's fast but not like 4G LTE.

Dump the droid and get a 9900
    The 9930 is on VZW. The 9930 is a 3G device. Notice how he said a "4G 9930.

Unless T-Mobile and AT&T have good coverage where he is, the 9900 is not an option.
    04-13-12 07:20 PM
    Sam,
    If you would have read my post you would have seen I left BB(9650) before the OS7 devices came out. My 9650 lagged alot and the web experience was non-existant. I thought double the ram would have relieved some of that issue. I'm sure the twice as fast processor made a big difference, but with the cost of ram being so low now why shortchange the consumer? Maybe that's why US consumers are defecting and they're selling low crap in Asia.
    I'm on Verizon, so no hspa+ for me. They have by far the best network in my area. I'm not willing to forfeit coverage to chase BB.
    I was loyal to the Berry for several years, but the need for the internet became more important over the years. My Bionic is faster than my home internet. It really works!
    I'm usually done doing my search before my wife's Berry(she still uses a 9650 since she doesn't require an internet connection) is done rendering the 1st page.

In no way is my old Berry superior to the Bionic except GOOOGLE is the DEVIL.
    I don't trust them at all or their apps. If Rim sells or gets bought out, secure data is a thing of the past.
    OS7 with it's current hardware, IMHO, is not worth the upgrade price. Mainly, downgrading to a 3G radio.
    04-13-12 07:43 PM
    Sam,
    If you would have read my post you would have seen I left BB(9650) before the OS7 devices came out. My 9650 lagged alot and the web experience was non-existant. I thought double the ram would have relieved some of that issue. I'm sure the twice as fast processor made a big difference, but with the cost of ram being so low now why shortchange the consumer? Maybe that's why US consumers are defecting and they're selling low crap in Asia.
    I'm on Verizon, so no hspa+ for me. They have by far the best network in my area. I'm not willing to forfeit coverage to chase BB.
    I was loyal to the Berry for several years, but the need for the internet became more important over the years. My Bionic is faster than my home internet. It really works!
    I'm usually done doing my search before my wife's Berry(she still uses a 9650 since she doesn't require an internet connection) is done rendering the 1st page.

In no way is my old Berry superior to the Bionic except GOOOGLE is the DEVIL.
    I don't trust them at all or their apps. If Rim sells or gets bought out, secure data is a thing of the past.
    OS7 with it's current hardware, IMHO, is not worth the upgrade price. Mainly, downgrading to a 3G radio.
    Many of the windows phones being released have 512 mb of RAM and perform great as does the 99xx with 768 mb of RAM. Performance is not felt on paper. Try one out for yourself. By the way I agree about Google. I started using bing a year ago and avoid Google whenever I can.
    04-13-12 07:53 PM
    But.. but.. the other phones come with 1GB of RAM!!!!

This is one of RIM's problems. The public perception is that 1GB is required. If an iDroid thing has a gig of RAM, then customers look at that and see that the phone might be better than one with 768MB.

While the 768MB works just fine, RIM needs to step up the specs of their phones simply to appear on par with the competition. Joe Average doesn't care that android is a resource hog and NEEDS a high power phone to work properly, he just sees one as "better than the other".
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-13-12 08:04 PM

This is one of RIM's problems. The public perception is that 1GB is required. If an iDroid thing has a gig of RAM, then customers look at that and see that the phone might be better than one with 768MB.

While the 768MB works just fine, RIM needs to step up the specs of their phones simply to appear on par with the competition. Joe Average doesn't care that android is a resource hog and NEEDS a high power phone to work properly, he just sees one as "better than the other".
    Exactly. Every smartphone is basically compared to the iPhone. That means whatever the iPhone has, is basically setting the standard. Most users wont even push the hardware to the limits and completely take advantage of it.
    04-13-12 08:13 PM
    I use Bing also and make sure I'm signed out if I use google. But you must have a gmail account for android and then they have all your contacts.

All I know is my 9650 was pretty fast until it wasn't. The small increments they upgrade their hardware doesn't constitute reason to upgrade because it's outdated in 6 months.

Yours is the thinking Rim has, it's good enough. If Rim wants to compete in the consumer market in the US, they must spec up or lose. You have no idea what more ram will do for the phone because app developers don't want to even build for it because their apps will lag if they have demanding software.
    If you don't get that technology is jumping by leaps and bounds right now come check out the HD video I can stream direct to my big screen from my bionic. There is more to life than email now.
    the longer it takes for Rim to deliver a quality device the more irrelevent they will become.

You can keep telling yourselves specs don't matter, but you're wrong. Rim needs to worry less about data consumption and more about $30 of hardware to keep the phone up to date for 2-3 contracts.

Thanks for the replies, I'll stop by again in a few months if I haven't jumped on the 4G I-Phone 5 by then
    Last edited by greeneink; 04-13-12 at 08:27 PM.
    04-13-12 08:19 PM
    I use Bing also and make sure I'm signed out if I use google. But you must have a gmail account for android and then they have all your contacts.

All I know is my 9650 was pretty fast until it wasn't. The small increments they upgrade their hardware doesn't constitute reason to upgrade because it's outdated in 6 months.

Yours is the thinking Rim has, it's good enough. If Rim wants to compete in the consumer market in the US, they must spec up or lose. You have no idea what more ram will do for the phone because app developers don't want to even build for it because their apps will lag if they have demanding software.
    If you don't get that technology is jumping by leaps and bounds right now come check out the HD video I can stream direct to my big screen from my bionic. There is more to life than email now.
    the longer it takes for Rim to deliver a quality device the more irrelevent they will become.

You can keep telling yourselves specs don't matter, but you're wrong. Rim needs to worry less about data consumption and more about $30 of hardware to keep the phone up to date for 2-3 contracts.

Thanks for the replies, I'll stop by again in a few months if I haven't jumped on the 4G I-Phone 5 by then
    You seem to be flipping back and forth between two arguments here. I don't think anyone is arguing public perception but we were discussing why you had chosen not to come back to BB. Let me be clear by the way in saying I have no interest in what phone you use. The argument that 768 is enough was not based on specs that on paper drive consumer interest. The argument was that the performance is actually really good with 768 on BB 7. At any rate I don't think RAM is the reason for less app development on BB.
    04-13-12 08:46 PM

EXACTLY!!! Some of you guys act like it's an insult to spec up. Do you think it'll hurt the damn thing? do you think it somehow will cause the phone to malfunction? NO!!!
    But it may encourage 3 million people to buy it. It may encourage some developers to WANT to build for it.
    Rim needs subscribers if it wants succeed in the market.

The "resource hog" comment shows ignorance of the competition. My Bionic works a 16-18 hr day before going on the charger, comparable to my 9650 with the seido extended battery.
    I use approx. 25%-30% more data, considering how much surfing I do sometimes without waiting, well worth the trade off.
    04-13-12 08:47 PM
    You seem to be flipping back and forth between two arguments here. I don't think anyone is arguing public perception but we were discussing why you had chosen not to come back to BB. Let me be clear by the way in saying I have no interest in what phone you use. The argument that 768 is enough was not based on specs that on paper drive consumer interest. The argument was that the performance is actually really good with 768 on BB 7. At any rate I don't think RAM is the reason for less app development on BB.
    4G radio, that simple.
    For a Verizon subscriber who lives in a good 4G area, there is no comparison and no going back. The data connection is 20X faster than 3G for me, not to mention the occasional look up an address on google maps while talking on the phone or looking up something on Poynt for while discussing it
    04-13-12 08:52 PM
    4G radio, that simple.
    For a Verizon subscriber who lives in a good 4G area, there is no comparison and no going back. The data connection is 20X faster than 3G for me, not to mention the occasional look up an address on google maps while talking on the phone or looking up something on Poynt for while discussing it
    Very true. I'm not really sure what we are discussing anymore or why. I will say try to enjoy your device and best of luck.
    04-13-12 08:54 PM
    4G radio, that simple.
    LTE is beast mode.

04-13-12 08:55 PM
    Holy crap, the more people get-the more they expect. Has the op even tried a 9930 with its lowly 768?

Reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap. The guitar player has an amp that goes to 11. Because everyone elses only goes to 10! Hahaha! Same hardware inside, but the numbers go to 11, I give up!
    04-13-12 09:05 PM
    Holy crap, the more people get-the more they expect. Has the op even tried a 9930 with its lowly 768?

Reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap. The guitar player hassle an amp that goes to 11. Because everyone elses only goes to 10! Hahaha! Same hardware inside, but the numbers go to 11, I give up!
    OMG! no wonder blackberry is lost in time. You should give up. Can you say 4G kicks 3G. Try to focus on the whole paragraph instead of the sentence that has ram in it.
    Your opinion is why Rim is faltering.
    My daddy can kick your daddys but.
    I had your opinion once until I tried the dark side and realized in many ways it was better.
    04-13-12 09:31 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD