Lost internet connection for several days and now that it's back up I'm having trouble, so I went to re-set up Wi-Fi even though the icon is there, signal is just 1 bar and I can't make calls. I set Wi-Fi up the first time w/no probs, do not remember having to enter any codes. Do I need to call my cell provider? I don't know what WEP is.

Thanks for any help -

HVB
    06-08-10 09:16 PM
    WEP is wireless encryption protocol, and is one of the earlier security mechanisms used on WiFi. The owner/manager of the wireless router or wireless access point you are trying to connect to will be able to provide the WEP code. If it's in your home, login to the web interface of your wireless router and you'll find it there.

Also i'm not sure but by saying "signal is just 1 bar and I can't make calls" in the same sentnece you may be getting confused between WiFi and GSM/3G
    06-08-10 09:48 PM
    Yeah I'm definitely confused, have been in a state of semi-confusion ever since I got the phone. I don't have a router, either. Have a DSL modem on one computer and a wireless network card on mine. So I still have no idea where to get that code. I just know the phone worked great before I lost my internet connection, and it hasn't been the same since. So i take it this would be a question for my ISP, not T-Mobile.. is that a correct assumption? Thanks for your help.
    06-08-10 09:52 PM
    I'm trying to reply to a PM but it doesn't seem to be working...
    06-08-10 10:16 PM
    Your issue with making phone calls and having '1 bar' is a mobile/cell reception issue and is seperate from getting your wifi working.

Does your DSL modem from your ISP perhaps have wifi capability built in? It will probably have external antenna/s if it does. If it does, same deal as with a wifi router; the WEP code will be in the DSL router's wireless config section. If you don't know how to login to your DSL modem, call your ISP or google "<your ISP> <your DSL router model>" which will probably turn up some hits
    06-08-10 11:05 PM
    Another thought - is your PC with the wireless network card working over wifi? If it is, the WEP code will also be configured in the wireless PC's network connection section.
    06-08-10 11:15 PM
    I see in your info you are on T-Mobile. The 1-bar and reception problems... is it the UMA? Is there a red dot/ icon that replaces the 3G icon?

Oh, and who is your ISP? Is the modem also a wireless router? (since you said you have a wireless card on your laptop, I'm assuming you use wifi in your house)
    06-08-10 11:18 PM
    I see in your info you are on T-Mobile. The 1-bar and reception problems... is it the UMA? Is there a red dot/ icon that replaces the 3G icon?

Oh, and who is your ISP? Is the modem also a wireless router? (since you said you have a wireless card on your laptop, I'm assuming you use wifi in your house)
    It changed from Edge to UMA, and I do have the red dots now, and it's working fine, so far. <fingers crossed>
    06-10-10 02:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD