Just need it to be hip again. My daughter wears vans like I wore 30+ years ago and said she wanted some Doc Martens for Christmas. I about fell out of my chair. BTW she is all iPhone as that's about as cool as it gets for an 8th grader for a phone and FaceTime but she does dig my KeyOne, the design and the functionality of the PKB and short cuts. Marketing and how hammered kids are from it at every turn these days matters something fierce as it always has. As I noted originally if a frigg'n flip type device can garner nostalgia and a longing for something "different" then someone should sure as heck be able to nail a Key device.
    Does your daughter also want a turntable and some vinyl LPs? I started with vinyl LPs when I was a kid back in the 70s,and I never got rid of them. My cassettes and many of my CDs are long gone. I've always loved the warm sound of vinyl and I'm using valve amps (phono preamp and poweramp) now.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-14-19 12:35 AM
    £1300 (UK Sterling The oldest currency in the world by the way) ! for a phone
    A phone that you drop ! smash or lose in the pub !
    I dropped my leap in the workshop and got a dtek on ebay for £50 !
    £1300 for a phone I would rather use the cash to go on holiday
    the_boon likes this.
    12-14-19 12:36 AM
    Does your daughter also want a turntable and some vinyl LPs? I started with vinyl LPs when I was a kid back in the 70s,and I never got rid of them. My cassettes and many of my CDs are long gone. I've always loved the warm sound of vinyl and I'm using valve amps (phono preamp and poweramp) now.
    She was checking out a Billie Elish record at an indie clothing store the other day. She's all about her air pods and Spotify in regards to music. REALLY likes her ad free Spotify and play lists.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-19 01:43 AM
    I still have my KISS Destroyer album, Rush Moving Pictures, Frampton Comes Alive, Led Zepplin, and a few others from my childhood.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-19 01:46 AM
    I still have my KISS Destroyer album, Rush Moving Pictures, Frampton Comes Alive, Led Zepplin, and a few others from my childhood.
    Still keep and enjoy a fabulous collection of huge vinyl, myself. Beatles, Stones, Who, etc... Still a place for huge form factors but newer, modern, COMPACT forms are simply easier to carry and use... A tiny microSD carries ALL of my personal vinyl collection x100...!!! lol.

"Technology" SHOULD make things more convenient... Historically, technological advancements have frequently meant smaller... Handset trends into hugeness are decidedly anti progress, imo.

Maybe "size envy" huge is "cool" or "hip" with kids? We certainly lived our share of collective silliness back in MY antiquated youth... Riding Brontosaurus to school was totally "hip", for a time... lol. THEN relatively compact horses came along... lol. Long term experience eventually prevailed and I can now Transport myself great distances using a thumb sized train token, in some parts of the globe! OR, a huge sized Android sporting "NFC" in more "hip" locales? lol. Which truly represents "progress"?? lol.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-14-19 08:16 AM
    Well would you look at that... @the_boon

Bluetooth keyboard case for the Apple iPhone needs a holiday miracle to get funded
    [IMG=940x879]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191213/bf59e4002caa35e25596139d35a1f68e.jpg[/url]

https://www.phonearena.com/news/blue...nding_id121073
    How did I miss something like this!?!

I'm usually on top of everything PKB related!

Now, as soon as I saw the photo for this thing, it screamed "Top heavy!!!"

The thing about the original Typo case was that it was for the compact 5S/SE and it covered up the chin of the phone so it made an "okay" typing experience.

But this here looks great in theory but in practice the thing looks like it's gonna tip forward and fall from the users hands!

Those new glass iPhones are simply too tall and heavy for this thing to bring even an "okay" typing experience!

Unless they made it that it took up the lower half of the display for better balancing!

It's not usual for me to say this, but I think I'd be more efficient on that iGlass screen than this project... which looks like it's gonna flop hard anyway since they're not even close to what they need to crowdfund it.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-14-19 08:56 PM

The thing about the original Typo case was that it was for the compact 5S/SE and it covered up the chin of the phone so it made an "okay" typing experience.

But this here looks great in theory but in practice the thing looks like it's gonna tip forward and fall from the users hands!

Those new glass iPhones are simply too tall and heavy for this thing to bring even an "okay" typing experience!

Unless they made it that it took up the lower half of the display for better balancing!

It's not usual for me to say this, but I think I'd be more efficient on that iGlass screen than this project... which looks like it's gonna flop hard anyway since they're not even close to what they need to crowdfund it.
    They needed YOU boon.. they were counting on the_boon endorsement.

Now it’s just an epic fail Key2.5 kiss of death...
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-14-19 09:40 PM
    They needed YOU boon.. they were counting on the_boon endorsement.

Now it’s just an epic fail Key2.5 kiss of death...
    Lol and I thought the Typo gen 2 was bad... this is cringe.

I wonder what @idssteve thinks about this monstrosity of a PKB implementation
    12-14-19 09:56 PM
    Lol and I thought the Typo gen 2 was bad... this is cringe.

I wonder what @idssteve thinks about this monstrosity of a PKB implementation
    Haha... Proof is in the testing but, letting Slab Phreeks design PKB is like letting Bus Phreeks design mountain bikes... Lol.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-14-19 10:05 PM
    An "iPhreek" coworker is planning to get one of those... Just to try. We'll likely put it through an almost "standardized" testing regime. Will report results.

This coworker has the smallest hands and longest nails of my crew. She is also world record class fast on EVERYthing... From manual Underwoods to iOS slabs to Bolds... Some brains are wired that way. Lol. Excited to see how it turns out. Will report.
    12-14-19 11:04 PM
    An "iPhreek" coworker is planning to get one of those... Just to try. We'll likely put it through an almost "standardized" testing regime. Will report results.

This coworker has the smallest hands and longest nails of my crew. She is also world record class fast on EVERYthing... From manual Underwoods to iOS slabs to Bolds... Some brains are wired that way. Lol. Excited to see how it turns out. Will report.
    I thought you were retired.
    12-15-19 12:15 AM

Top Heavy was my first thought to but I guess they probably have put in countermeasures for that if they are serious about selling this thing.

I guess Ryan Seacrest won’t be helping these guys out after what happened with Typo
    12-15-19 02:09 AM
    I thought you were retired.
    Couple weeks yet. Toolbelt equipped geriatric walker is prepared and waiting in breakroom, tho. ?? Complete with magnifying glass, dewalt drill & holster, battery powered terminal crimpers, 15" slide rule, IV hangar, BP cuff, portable AED, bicycle horn, Simpson Meter, even a cradle for Bold... They're still adding to the shrine as time gets near but I'll post a photo for some good laughs... After the party... Hehe...

Didn't quite comprehend the hint at first... ??... Then agreed to an offer I "couldn't refuse"...lol. A "semi" retire contract for this next year... Sweet enough offer that even the wife glanced "that look"... Lol. After four "retirements" she already knows I'd be getting dragged into something, somewhere, anyway. We're looking to our Golden this June. Guess she knows me best, by now. A true saint for enduring my "impossibleness" this half century. Lol.

Btw, one client has mused about keeping this 9930 powered in my "cold left hand" from coffin... Lmao. He's rsvp the party travelling from the "other side". I'm thinking some around here are most excited for what promises to be quite a New Year's & retirement bash... At a venue down the street. No alcohol policy here, tho. Lol.

This "retirement" has certainly been most enjoyable... Should do it more often... Hehe.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-15-19 at 08:51 AM.
    12-15-19 08:36 AM
    Top Heavy was my first thought to but I guess they probably have put in countermeasures for that if they are serious about selling this thing.

I guess Ryan Seacrest won’t be helping these guys out after what happened with Typo
    There is zero chance this thing will succeed, and I won't lose any sleep over it lol
    12-15-19 10:16 AM

possible ways to optimize the concept...??

Snap KB onto lower front covering lower portion of screen? Display would need to alter to a shorter AR... than means Apple collaboration... ??

or... fit KB with battery to lower COG while adding handset endurance?

or... leverage bluetooth so that KB doesn't require physical attachment to handset? permit typing in one hand while reading in other hand?

or... add a small display to that bluetooth KB to afford independently functional typing appliance capability?

or... dual carry Bold and a giant slab to provide best of both...
    the_boon likes this.
    12-15-19 10:49 AM
    A "clip" on is not a viable answer and what an abomination of design when you have the absolutely gorgeous KeyOne and Key2. The "Key" to a continuous successful PKB is the execution, marketing, pricing and support. Get those down and my thumbs will remain happy.
    the_boon and Sigewif like this.
    12-15-19 12:41 PM
    A "clip" on is not a viable answer and what an abomination of design when you have the absolutely gorgeous KeyOne and Key2. The "Key" to a continuous successful PKB is the execution, marketing, pricing and support. Get those down and my thumbs will remain happy.
    Yup, like I said before, the only case that has a decent experience is the Typo gen 1 case for iPhone SE.

It's a straight rip-off of the Q10 layout and look, but it also has identical key sculpting and you don't make a bunch of typos on it unlike the gen 2.

The gen 2 also exists for the 6/6S and I tried it, it's terrible also, the keys are too flat and have basically no sculpting and they are no better than glass.
    12-15-19 12:55 PM
    Yup, like I said before, the only case that has a decent experience is the Typo gen 1 case for iPhone SE.

It's a straight rip-off of the Q10 layout and look, but it also has identical key sculpting and you don't make a bunch of typos on it unlike the gen 2.

The gen 2 also exists for the 6/6S and I tried it, it's terrible also, the keys are too flat and have basically no sculpting and they are no better than glass.
    Q10 is good. I achieve about 95% of Bold's wpm. No two of Bold style sculpted keys feels the same. Muscle memory learns the feel and Alerts to errors. After a couple yrs of training, thought to thumb becomes almost as autonomous as thought to tongue. lol. Two year learning curve is too incompatible with "new every two" business model, for some of us, tho. lol.

Other functions like selection & editing and phone controls are where Bold shines over Q. Functionality not lost on so many stranded legacy users.

Keys that feel almost identical to each other partially defeat the a great deal of PKB appeal, imo.
    12-15-19 03:53 PM
    Q10 is good. I achieve about 95% of Bold's wpm. No two of Bold style sculpted keys feels the same. Muscle memory learns the feel and Alerts to errors. After a couple yrs of training, thought to thumb becomes almost as autonomous as thought to tongue. lol. Two year learning curve is too incompatible with "new every two" business model, for some of us, tho. lol.

Other functions like selection & editing and phone controls are where Bold shines over Q. Functionality not lost on so many stranded legacy users.

Keys that feel almost identical to each other partially defeat the a great deal of PKB appeal, imo.
    Personally I don't believe BlackBerry needed to keep reinventing much of what they had already perfected. Just keep producing of licensing an iteration with improvements in the chip, storage and camera capabilities like every other slab maker does.

Apple has used the 6/6s chasis for 3 year iterations. 6, 7, 8 and will be utilizing on their upcoming device. Much like their 9.7 iPad for what seems like forever.

Small tweaks to a proven design seems much more logical and cost effective.
    12-16-19 11:26 AM
    Personally I don't believe BlackBerry needed to keep reinventing much of what they had already perfected. Just keep producing of licensing an iteration with improvements in the chip, storage and camera capabilities like every other slab maker does.

Apple has used the 6/6s chasis for 3 year iterations. 6, 7, 8 and will be utilizing on their upcoming device. Much like their 9.7 iPad for what seems like forever.

Small tweaks to a proven design seems much more logical and cost effective.
    Except sales of BBOS were plummeting between 2009 and 2013 in the West, and from 2011 in the developing countries. The platform also reached the limits of its ability to be further developed - it had smashed into a technological wall.

Carriers were balking at the SAF fees and people no longer required/wanted the bandwidth-throttling data compression.

BB10 was also a dead duck by 2009 - years before it had even been invented.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-16-19 11:28 AM
    Except sales of BBOS were plummeting between 2009 and 2013 in the West, and from 2011 in the developing countries. The platform also reached the limits of its ability to be further developed - it had smashed into a technological wall.

Carriers were balking at the SAF fees and people no longer required/wanted the bandwidth-throttling data compression.
    I am well aware of the past and history of BlackBerry as I have used one since '09 and my Curve 9000.

I remember the simplicity with OS 7 devices when one could back up said device with BlackBerry Protect pop a SIM in a new device, log in and there was your new device with everything from your prior. Much like some Google and Apple capabilities of today.

My conscience stream was more in regards to a future "Key" device that emmulates nostalgia, like this upcoming Razr. Would there be a population of users (enough) that would long for a 9900 or Classic type build? Of course the execution of distribution, marketing and support that BlackBerry has lacked since original Z10 and Q10 would have to be on point.
    12-16-19 11:38 AM
    Of course the execution of distribution, marketing and support that BlackBerry has lacked since original Z10 and Q10 would have to be on point.
    That had about as much to do with BB10's fate as my personal toenail cutting schedule.
    12-16-19 11:46 AM
    That had about as much to do with BB10's fate as my personal toenail cutting schedule.
    Again I know well the hx and fate of BlackBerry 10 and the absolute necessity of "apps" but that is all in the rear view mirror. The original Razr was not running Android either.
    12-16-19 11:52 AM
    My conscience stream was more in regards to a future "Key" device that emmulates nostalgia, like this upcoming Razr. Would there be a population of users (enough) that would long for a 9900 or Classic type build? Of course the execution of distribution, marketing and support that BlackBerry has lacked since original Z10 and Q10 would have to be on point.
    Devices from companies like OnePlus, Asus, Xiomai, and Huawei have succeeded despite lacking these things - because the product was something lots of people wanted and were willing to pay for. That just wasn't the case with BB - there simply weren't nearly enough people willing to pay for BB smartphones, much less enough to support an entire separate platform. But even BB's best post 2012 sales year (6M in 2013) would have only been decently profitable had BB been making Android phones (it was a colossal loss with BB10) - and BB only sold that many because they had a firesale on overproduced Z10s the second half of the year. Chen stated that they needed to sell about 3M Android devices per year just to break even (compared to 10M BB10 devices per year to break even).

TCL may have some efficiencies of scale that BB didn't have, but they also have to pay licensing fees on top of all the costs that BB had, so I doubt their break-even number was any lower than BB's (3M/year), and their best year (2017) was only 660k devices, or 20% of break-even. 2018 was only half of 2017. That's why there's no K3.
    John Albert and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-16-19 12:13 PM
    I am well aware of the past and history of BlackBerry as I have used one since '09 and my Curve 9000.

I remember the simplicity with OS 7 devices when one could back up said device with BlackBerry Protect pop a SIM in a new device, log in and there was your new device with everything from your prior. Much like some Google and Apple capabilities of today.

What they have lacked is a product that people would pay full price for....

Razr revisits a popular phone from over a decade ago.... And like the Nokia banana phone, I suspect it's more a stunt to capture some headlines for the company, than a product they expect to sell a lot of units with.

With BlackBerry, there are no other products to benefit from those headlines.... and it's not all that nostalgic if they have been making them for years. Let a decade go by without a BlackBerry having been made.

As for marketing and distribution... have to accept that at these levels there is no money for it.
    12-16-19 01:33 PM
542 ... 1718192021 ...