09-26-11 09:41 PM
76 1234
tools
    OP, I will bet that those people making those annoying statements that they will wait for QNX, when the time actually comes there will be rumors of QNX 2.0 devices. So they will then be waiting for 2.0, mean while still rocking there 9700 in 2014! People need to understand that their phone is outdated in 6 months. If you have the mind set to wait for the next best thing, you will be waiting forever.
    OniBerry likes this.
    09-20-11 10:07 AM
    I don't know why people keep thinking that the QNX phones will be buggy. The OS will be the same as the Playbook. By the time the phones hit the market you will be able to see everything it will be able to do just by using Playbook. That is why the first BB phone will only be a touchscreen device. It's also the reason for the size, so they don't have to scale down very much, software wise.
    09-20-11 10:56 AM
    Begin Rant:

If I read one more "I'm not getting the phone I want now because QNX is right around the corner" I think I am gonna scream.

I really wish this site and others would stop perpetuating the idea that a QNX device will be available any time soon. Yes, they will be shown off at MWC, DevCon and the other conferences starting after the first of the year but will not be final and may even be behind glass or not have power to them because they wont be done. RIM will get them more or less ready by next spring, and the carriers will test in late spring and summer and we MAY get them starting this time next year.

How do I know this? This is the nature of the beast. The device we are now lusting over because they are finally here were SUPPOSED TO BE released almost a year ago. There have been some refinements since then but they are basically the same devices. Between delays within RIM and carrier testing they have been delayed almost a year.

Even if RIM "rushes" the QNX devices that just means maybe, just maybe, we will see one next spring; but I would not hold my breath. The fact that there are test devices floating around means NOTHING. There have been test devices/pics/renderings for the Bold 9900 almost since the Bold 9000 three years ago.

To those of you with an upgrade and/or a hankering for a new device, pick up your choice of BB7 device and be happy with it. QNX will get here when it gets here there is no point in waiting for the legend of what a QNX phone MIGHT be when you can be enjoying a vastly superior product to the one in your hand.

/RANT

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system...

(MODS feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one just for rants)
    As a recent upgrader from the 9650 to the 9930, I agree completely. The new BB7 devices are incredible and the apps are coming fast! They will never have the plethora of amusement apps on the robot or fruit phones but the professional apps are already there. Buy one, you'll love it.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-20-11 11:47 AM
    OP, I will bet that those people making those annoying statements that they will wait for QNX, when the time actually comes there will be rumors of QNX 2.0 devices. So they will then be waiting for 2.0, mean while still rocking there 9700 in 2014! People need to understand that their phone is outdated in 6 months. If you have the mind set to wait for the next best thing, you will be waiting forever.
    Some of them will yes. And yes you will, all you can is go by solid info. The problem is that many people take what the blogs here and elsewhere say as fact. RIM wants one out in Q1. Kevin and co are taking then at that and running with that because they want it to be true; and people reading the blogs take it as fact because they don't know better. My rant was aimed just as much at them as the upgrade waiters.
    09-20-11 12:09 PM
    I don't know why people keep thinking that the QNX phones will be buggy. The OS will be the same as the Playbook. By the time the phones hit the market you will be able to see everything it will be able to do just by using Playbook. That is why the first BB phone will only be a touchscreen device. It's also the reason for the size, so they don't have to scale down very much, software wise.
    Because ALL new tech is.

The playbook (or at least was at launch) is/was and QNX is nothing new. It's been used in cars and other things for years. When Android launched Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for tablets) it was buggy in it's first release (and to some degree it still is 3 point releases later), even though the underlying OS code was mostly the same as in the phones just a completely new UI. The same thing holds true here. The underlying QNX OS used in the phones will be very close to what we see int he playbook BUT like Android they will have to wrote a new UI/interface layer to make it work on phones.

Or for an illustration closer to home: The Blackberry Storm. It had the same OS more or less as the other phones, just some new interface tweaks to make it work on a touch screen and man oh man was it buggy and it took RIM over 6 months to get it stable and even then it was never as smooth as the other phones.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 09-20-11 at 10:48 PM.
    09-20-11 12:18 PM
    Begin Rant:

If I read one more "I'm not getting the phone I want now because QNX is right around the corner" I think I am gonna scream.

I really wish this site and others would stop perpetuating the idea that a QNX device will be available any time soon. Yes, they will be shown off at MWC, DevCon and the other conferences starting after the first of the year but will not be final and may even be behind glass or not have power to them because they wont be done. RIM will get them more or less ready by next spring, and the carriers will test in late spring and summer and we MAY get them starting this time next year.

How do I know this? This is the nature of the beast. The device we are now lusting over because they are finally here were SUPPOSED TO BE released almost a year ago. There have been some refinements since then but they are basically the same devices. Between delays within RIM and carrier testing they have been delayed almost a year.

Even if RIM "rushes" the QNX devices that just means maybe, just maybe, we will see one next spring; but I would not hold my breath. The fact that there are test devices floating around means NOTHING. There have been test devices/pics/renderings for the Bold 9900 almost since the Bold 9000 three years ago.

To those of you with an upgrade and/or a hankering for a new device, pick up your choice of BB7 device and be happy with it. QNX will get here when it gets here there is no point in waiting for the legend of what a QNX phone MIGHT be when you can be enjoying a vastly superior product to the one in your hand.

/RANT

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system...

(MODS feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one just for rants)
    Then by all means SCREAM if it makes you feel better.

Someone also posted that "No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900".
    I think you will find that incorrect.

Some carriers like USCC do not even have the 9900 and may not carry it due to its high price.
    Some carriers are supposedly sold out. (or is it they ordered a few so that don't get stuck with them when QNX powered phones come out??)

In the end I am not going to purchase something that I can't get or something that is "short term".

So scream away....might make you feel better.

Tim
    09-20-11 12:57 PM
    QNX will drop sooner than what most realists expect....Catapulting RIM back into the thick of things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I hope so! If it will be released by end of year for consumers to buy, it should be in testing with the carriers now. I got a Bold, but I will be happy to upgrade to a QNX when it comes out.

What is in their favor is that QNX is going through its paces as a Playbook.

I'm finding that the Bold 9930 is a great phone. It will continue to be a great phone in a year.
    09-20-11 01:34 PM
    Upgraded from my Storm2 to a 9930. And...its sooo much better.

QNX phones hopefully wont show up until the single chip 3g/4g is available. Which if I am not mistaken is at the end of the year. So expect a QNX based phone mid next year, with testing at the 'beginning' of the year.

I feel that it legit for RIMM to wait to release a 4g phone with a single transmitter chip.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    09-20-11 01:47 PM
    I had an original Storm, and I held onto it 8 months past when I was eligible for an upgrade, only because there was no BlackBerry worth upgrading to, and I wasn't tempted enough to go Android. I'm very happy with my Torch 9850 - its a great phone and I have every app I've been coveting and then some. But OS7 is great - a huge upgrade over OS5, and I really like the Torch 9850 hardware too (virtual keyboard isn't as good for me as the Storm's though - I need to get acclimated)

I have a PlayBook, and I agree that QNX phones will likely not be available for a while, and even then they will likely not be as full-featured as the mature OS7. I sure wasn't going to wait any longer on my original Storm...
    09-20-11 02:00 PM
    Because ALL new tech is.

The playbook (or at least was at launch) and QNX is nothing new. It's been used in cars and other things for years. When Android launched Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for tablets) it was buggy in it's first release (and to some degree it still is 3 point releases later), even though the underlying OS code was mostly the same as in the phones just a completely new UI. The same thing holds true here. The underlying QNX OS used in the phones will be very close to what we see int he playbook BUT like Android they will have to wrote a new UI/interface layer to make it work on phones.

Or for an illustration closer to home: The Blackberry Storm. It had the same OS more or less as the phones, just some new interface tweaks to make it work on a touch screen and man oh man was it buggy and it took RIM over 6 months to get it stable and even then it was never as smooth as the phones.
    You can't compare a phone OS with the QNX OS. QNX is capable of running as a desktop OS. The conversion from tablet to phone is same as iOS. Secondly BB OS was never designed to run touch screen devices. QNX on the other hand is very complex and can be modified for a variety of uses.
    09-20-11 02:31 PM
    Upgraded from my Storm2 to a 9930. And...its sooo much better.

QNX phones hopefully wont show up until the single chip 3g/4g is available. Which if I am not mistaken is at the end of the year. So expect a QNX based phone mid next year, with testing at the 'beginning' of the year.

I feel that it legit for RIMM to wait to release a 4g phone with a single transmitter chip.
    Thanks for that. If anyone cares to read about it engadget has a recent press release from marvell.
    Marvell debuts first single-chip LTE world modem for smartphones, tablets and more -- Engadget
    09-20-11 02:43 PM
    i guess i will say what others seem to fear saying. Yes i am waiting for a QNX phone... and i wont regret that decision. looking at the 9900 that doesn't even have UMA that my 9780 does. im ok with waiting!
    09-20-11 02:44 PM
    I agree and took the route of getting the Torch 9850 as soon as possible giving time for the QNX phones to build up their apps, and work out any bugs, by then my renewal will be approaching. I have had my phone almost a week and am very happy with it especially the improved camera over the Storm2 I had.

Keep in mind not only is RIM working on QNX phones but are also revamping their infrastructure NOCs to work with these new phones. Ironically RIM is similar to Apple in that they control the OS and Hardware now if they can build up their infrastructure to utilize this like Apple has.
    09-20-11 10:12 PM
    Then by all means SCREAM if it makes you feel better.

Someone also posted that "No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900".
    I think you will find that incorrect.

Some carriers like USCC do not even have the 9900 and may not carry it due to its high price.
    Some carriers are supposedly sold out. (or is it they ordered a few so that don't get stuck with them when QNX powered phones come out??)

In the end I am not going to purchase something that I can't get or something that is "short term".

So scream away....might make you feel better.

Tim
    I just love it when people respond to a post and don't bother to read the entire post. No where have I said "everybody upgrade to a BB7 device". What I said was that if you are running an older device and you have an upgrade available and/or you are very frustrated with your device and the main or only thing preventing you from upgrading then you should not let that stop you. Obviously this does not apply to people on carries that don't even carry the BB7 devices (yet).
    09-20-11 10:52 PM
    You can't compare a phone OS with the QNX OS. QNX is capable of running as a desktop OS. The conversion from tablet to phone is same as iOS. Secondly BB OS was never designed to run touch screen devices. QNX on the other hand is very complex and can be modified for a variety of uses.
    It's not just screen size to consider it's processor power and battery and miniaturazation along with many more tech things. It's not iPhone to iPad (upscaling) but rather iPad to iPhone or in Android terms Tablet to Phone and miniaturization is a lot harder than up-scaling.
    09-20-11 10:56 PM
    I just love it when people respond to a post and don't bother to read the entire post. No where have I said "everybody upgrade to a BB7 device". What I said was that if you are running an older device and you have an upgrade available and/or you are very frustrated with your device and the main or only thing preventing you from upgrading then you should not let that stop you. Obviously this does not apply to people on carries that don't even carry the BB7 devices (yet).
    I read your entire post but instead maybe you should read my post more carefully and the others in this thread before you post another bad post.

I said "Someone also posted that "No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900".
    That person was Frosty_Power, you know, the post right under your first post?!?!?!?

I never said you said it, it was not about OS7 but rather the 9900 comment from Frosty_Power!

Geesh.....

Tim
    09-20-11 11:29 PM
    9900 ftw!!!!
    09-20-11 11:51 PM
    I read your entire post but instead maybe you should read my post more carefully and the others in this thread before you post another bad post.

I said "Someone also posted that "No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900".
    That person was Frosty_Power, you know, the post right under your first post?!?!?!?

I never said you said it, it was not about OS7 but rather the 9900 comment from Frosty_Power!

Geesh.....

Tim
    Yes but you quoted my original post which implied you were responding to both of us.
    09-21-11 12:45 AM
    Agree with OP. Smartphones become obsolete within months. It's futile to wait for any new OS on the horizon. Get what you can now!

I, though, am going to buy a Curve 3G running OS 6. The launch of OS 7 devices will mean that OS 6 devices will be sold at steep discount. I can't afford an OS 7 phone, let alone any QNX.
    09-21-11 01:36 AM
    I believe that many Blackberry users are happy with a QWERTY Bold 9900/9930 or a Torch 9860 Blackberry.

When new device will be here...we will wait and see.. now there is some nice blackberry devices on the market that are very nice and it's just great to use them.
    09-21-11 04:52 AM
    No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900.

And yet AT&T doesn't even have it out yet.
    09-21-11 06:33 AM
    Thanks for that. If anyone cares to read about it engadget has a recent press release from marvell.
    Marvell debuts first single-chip LTE world modem for smartphones, tablets and more -- Engadget
    I read that article and pray they pull it off. I will be stealing one of my kids upgrades and somebody on CL is gonna get a deal on a Moto Bionic!

09-21-11 06:46 AM
    Nope gotta disagree. RIM would love to see it come out Q1 but various issues will cause it's eventual delay to MAYBE next spring at the earliest. The system is broken and the sad thing is RIM doesn't have the clout to actually fix it (yet). I really hope that changes and the QNX devices give RIM back some of the clout they once had, but I'm not holding my breath and I would suggest no one else do so either.
    Whilst I agree that thread after thread 'waiting' for the QNX is getting tedious, I do not agree the 'system' is broken etc. I believe QNX is now cured. Remember V2.0 is nearly ready for roll out.
    That means the software side of things is sorted. It is the hardware which needs work now and generally isn't so hard as you merely ape the opposition's specs.
    But the biggest reason I believe QNX may not be so far away is that at the moment it is unfortunately a matter of survival and if RIM are not throwing everything at it then well, we are doomed.
    09-21-11 07:09 AM
    QNX may not be so great! If we all wait for the latest and greatest we would never have a device in this market. As soon as the QNX devices are released some other BETTER device will be coming out I just purchase what I need at the time.
    09-21-11 07:12 AM
    It's not just screen size to consider it's processor power and battery and miniaturazation along with many more tech things. It's not iPhone to iPad (upscaling) but rather iPad to iPhone or in Android terms Tablet to Phone and miniaturization is a lot harder than up-scaling.
    iOS was built as a tablet OS not a phone OS. Scaling is a lot easier then creating the ability for something like touch access which the BB OS never had in the first place. RIM already knows that QNX requires a beefed up set of hardware to run it. As for screen size that only relates to how much scaling it takes.
    09-21-11 08:38 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD