RIM need to get their act together because other smartphones are coming out left and right and this is making RIM slowly disappearing from the game. QNX need to have a set date or don't announce it at all. Iphone creates more hype even though the phone hasn't come out yet, and always come through. I do have to ask Blackberry or Iphone? Is it time for them to sell? They're not doing well at all.
    09-21-11 09:45 AM
    I am waiting for QNX.
    I am also waiting to see what the iPhone 5 is like and Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

I have no use for a band-aid OS like OS7. It may be a huge improvement, but it is still outdated. I don't really get why you would be upset at people waiting. RIM did this to themselves and everyone has the right to wait if they want.

The people that want a physical keyboard though should by OS7 devices though, but if want a full touchscreen and can wait, why wouldnt you?

If RIM wants any shot staying relevant, QNX phones will be in people's hands by the 1st qtr of 2012, if not sooner. Actually if they were smart (and they have proven that really, they arent smart when reading the market) they would have the phones out before the holiday season.

If they aren't out by Feb in 2012 very few if any people who are waiting now (me included) will continue to do so.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-21-11 09:53 AM
    i just want a dual core processors, dual cameras, and flash. Is that alot to ask for.
    09-21-11 10:43 AM
    im loving my 9900 and for now, i dont care about QNX
    09-21-11 11:53 AM
    Here is my take on this topic. I got my 9930 Bold ,, I love it and continue to enjoy it until my next upgrade. By then, the QNX will be out.. Then I'll get that one...
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-21-11 12:11 PM
    Honestly if I could get my grubby little hands on a 9900 from AT&T I'd have it already since I either buy them outright or use my yearly upgrade. So here's hoping they show up in November and then I can have it before I go to Disney World.
    09-21-11 12:18 PM
    I am waiting for QNX.
    I am also waiting to see what the iPhone 5 is like and Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

I have no use for a band-aid OS like OS7. It may be a huge improvement, but it is still outdated. I don't really get why you would be upset at people waiting. RIM did this to themselves and everyone has the right to wait if they want.
    Can you please elaborate on how the OS is outdated? I understand it doesn't have apps. But it doesn't mean the OS is outdated. I've heard this multiple times. And have tried to figure out what they meant by that. To me (I have a Bold 9700), the functionality of the OS ahead of the competition. And that's on OS6.

Also I am waiting for QNX. Because for one, I'm more media centered. I want apps/media/games/touch screen. And I also want a keyboard. A phone like the Torch 9810. If they have a phone like that with QNX. I'll be happy. Because that's what I want. With the 9900 keyboard.

That's my dream phone. And that's why I'm waiting for QNX.
    09-21-11 01:13 PM
    Can you please elaborate on how the OS is outdated? I understand it doesn't have apps. But it doesn't mean the OS is outdated. I've heard this multiple times. And have tried to figure out what they meant by that. To me (I have a Bold 9700), the functionality of the OS ahead of the competition. And that's on OS6.
    It's because people think because something is supposedly the latest and greatest that they need it instead of buying what fits their needs. Then they make excuses for all it's shortcomings like battery life or security. Determine your needs and get what fits them best. I chose the BB 9810 and am very happy. Could care less what others think.
    09-21-11 02:51 PM
    Most of the active posters yes but plenty of those on the fence seem to have this mindset as do a number of people who have chosen not to get the Bold since they think QNX is so close.

Because it's NOT outdated OR slow .. and yes the first QNX devices will have the same issues as the first gen stoms did, hopefully not as bad but they will still be there. Look at the playbook?
    So it will have Surepress that doesn't work properly??

QNX will have nothing in common with the Storm lines issues/failure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-11 03:01 PM
    Whilst I agree that thread after thread 'waiting' for the QNX is getting tedious, I do not agree the 'system' is broken etc. I believe QNX is now cured. Remember V2.0 is nearly ready for roll out.
    That means the software side of things is sorted. It is the hardware which needs work now and generally isn't so hard as you merely ape the opposition's specs.
    But the biggest reason I believe QNX may not be so far away is that at the moment it is unfortunately a matter of survival and if RIM are not throwing everything at it then well, we are doomed.
    You're talking about the tablet OS, the phone OS wont be the same anymore than Android Honeycomb (tablets) is the same as Android Gingerbread (phones). The underlying core will be the same but the OS and the interface layers will be different.

And if they force out QNX before it is ready and have another Storm on their hands they are doubly doomed. It has to be a WOW or it wont have the desired and necessary effect. If they want consumer space (at least here in North America and other places where wireless is so competitive) they HAVE to have that.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 09-21-11 at 08:01 PM.
    09-21-11 07:58 PM
    I am waiting for QNX.

The people that want a physical keyboard though should by OS7 devices though, but if want a full touchscreen and can wait, why wouldnt you?

If RIM wants any shot staying relevant, QNX phones will be in people's hands by the 1st qtr of 2012, if not sooner. Actually if they were smart (and they have proven that really, they arent smart when reading the market) they would have the phones out before the holiday season.

If they aren't out by Feb in 2012 very few if any people who are waiting now (me included) will continue to do so.
    If you read the rest of the thread you would know my reasons. You are entitled to wait of you so choose to but your target dates are not realistic and RIM knows it. The QNX phone launch has to be smooth and go off without any major hitches if it is going to have any of the desired positive effect.

RIM bowed to the market (and Verizon/Vodaphone) and pushed out the Storm by the holiday season three years ago in response to the iPhone and we all know how that worked out. If they have a repeat of the same thing they are dead.
    09-21-11 08:10 PM
    i qualify for a phone upgrade every year. just got one in march. have to wait till next year anyways. then i will decide then if im going to wait on qnx. i doubt rim has the option of countless delays when it comes to the qnx phone launch.
    09-21-11 08:12 PM
    So it will have Surepress that doesn't work properly??

QNX will have nothing in common with the Storm lines issues/failure.

I actually liked the Storm2 version of SurePress. It worked just fine for me and the only real reason I retired mine was that I didn't need 2 Blackberries once I got the Bold 9650 I retired both the Storm2 and Tour. By then I as also in the Android camp.

I hope it doesn't have the same launch issues as the Storm but if RIM and carriers forced it out before it was ready then it would.
    09-21-11 08:16 PM
    i qualify for a phone upgrade every year. just got one in march. have to wait till next year anyways. then i will decide then if im going to wait on qnx. i doubt rim has the option of countless delays when it comes to the qnx phone launch.
    By the time you qualify for your upgrade we MIGHT have the first device announced (but probably not available), but will almost certainly have a more accurate picture about how the launch timetable will be than we do now. In your case it would make sense to wait.

I'm sure that if it were entirely up to RIM the BB7 devices would have launched last winter like they were supposed to and the QNX ones would be in our hands now. Unfortunately its not just up to RIM. They cant launch a product that just isn't ready and they have to go through the same manufacturing, carrier approval, and launch schedule channels as every other OEM.
    09-21-11 08:25 PM
    Well a lot of good and rather obvious apps haven't even been ported from OS6 to 7. I wonder if Developers are holding out for QNX.
    09-21-11 11:06 PM
    Well a lot of good and rather obvious apps haven't even been ported from OS6 to 7. I wonder if Developers are holding out for QNX.

Yes. Some are but if QNX is delayed you will see a few Devs coding for OS 7 to keep the cash flow running.

But the true blue BB Devs will keep current no matter what the current OS is.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    09-22-11 12:09 AM
    me.. i know i hate waiting.. n i like to stay with whats popular at the moment.. so i am most def not going to wait for a QNX blackberry.. sure we going to see it next month.. but it won't be in the public to probably 3-5 months later.. maybe longer..
    09-22-11 12:25 AM
    Some may be but the fact is we have had this issue with both OS5 and OS6 as well (not to mention making them work on the Storms without having to use the wonky compatibility mode). It takes time to update and test apps when a new OS comes out. They basic design of each version has changed very little but a lot of underlying code has been rewritten in each version and that impacts how it third party apps interact with it.
    09-25-11 03:34 PM
    Begin Rant:

If I read one more "I'm not getting the phone I want now because QNX is right around the corner" I think I am gonna scream.

I really wish this site and others would stop perpetuating the idea that a QNX device will be available any time soon. Yes, they will be shown off at MWC, DevCon and the other conferences starting after the first of the year but will not be final and may even be behind glass or not have power to them because they wont be done. RIM will get them more or less ready by next spring, and the carriers will test in late spring and summer and we MAY get them starting this time next year.

How do I know this? This is the nature of the beast. The device we are now lusting over because they are finally here were SUPPOSED TO BE released almost a year ago. There have been some refinements since then but they are basically the same devices. Between delays within RIM and carrier testing they have been delayed almost a year.

Even if RIM "rushes" the QNX devices that just means maybe, just maybe, we will see one next spring; but I would not hold my breath. The fact that there are test devices floating around means NOTHING. There have been test devices/pics/renderings for the Bold 9900 almost since the Bold 9000 three years ago.

To those of you with an upgrade and/or a hankering for a new device, pick up your choice of BB7 device and be happy with it. QNX will get here when it gets here there is no point in waiting for the legend of what a QNX phone MIGHT be when you can be enjoying a vastly superior product to the one in your hand.

/RANT

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system...

(MODS feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one just for rants)
    I would've bought a 9900 by now if RIM hadn't stuffed it with that piece of crap camera.
    09-25-11 05:04 PM
    I would've bought a 9900 by now if RIM hadn't stuffed it with that piece of crap camera.
    Have you tried it in person yet? IMHO the camera issue is exaggerated. It's certainly not the best camera on a cel phone but hardly the worst either. If it's truly a deal-breaker for you then the new Curves will be along soon enough.
    ummie4 likes this.
    09-25-11 06:56 PM
    I think its funny how so many people are concerned about picture quality on a mobile phone. Anyone who ever looked into photography knows the most important part of a camera is the lens and mobile phones have the smallest lenses possible. This means a mobile phone will never take the place of a dedicated camera and will always include some compromise in the picture quality department. "Camera Phones" do exist though, and they always have a larger lens similar to a point and shoot camera. If picture quality is so important on you phone then why not buy a "Camera Phone"?

ummie4 likes this.
    09-26-11 10:38 AM
    Yes I am waiting for QNX phones, but in the mean time I bought the 9930
    09-26-11 06:12 PM
    The 9930 camera is better than your 9650's. Unless you are taking close ups, and by close ups I mean really close. I think you are reading the hype from the threads posted by the same morons who can't manage to use the Playbook's power button, or the 99xx screen lock button. I feel bad that those threads are preventing you from buying the BEST BB available.
    Last edited by ummie4; 09-26-11 at 06:20 PM.
    09-26-11 06:17 PM
    I think its funny how so many people are concerned about picture quality on a mobile phone. Anyone who ever looked into photography knows the most important part of a camera is the lens and mobile phones have the smallest lenses possible. This means a mobile phone will never take the place of a dedicated camera and will always include some compromise in the picture quality department. "Camera Phones" do exist though, and they always have a larger lens similar to a point and shoot camera. If picture quality is so important on you phone then why not buy a "Camera Phone"?

I think the biggest hangup with the camera is the fact that historically BB cameras have generally been among the better cameras available on cel phones and now they replaced it with just a mediocre one to get the phone to be a few mm thinner. I would not have made that choice but I am not getting bent out of shape about it either.
    09-26-11 08:15 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    loving the new Bold 9900!!! best in class period in my opinion for the professional....

next year is next year.... if QNX is a better phone ... i will decide THEN!....

but the Bold 9900 is awesome and NOW!
    09-26-11 08:26 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD