Does it preclude raw apks? Couldn't it be expanded to include legitimately published apks?
    The problem is that APKs are unsigned. Up to this point, everything that runs on BB10 has had to be signed.

That whole process of repackaging APKs into BAR files was to ensure that all apps running on BB10 devices was properly signed. And then, they could not be offered in BB World unless the vendor was properly registered and the app was signed with his keys.

By maintaining the signing process, BlackBerry is guaranteeing a certain level of safety that they can't provide with a raw APK.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 01:25 PM
    This makes no sense. IF the argument that BB users don't want or need third party apps because the OS provides all they require, then WHY welcome GP? It contradicts the most often quoted argument about how great BB is. Many call Android and iOS users "children" with "toys" but BB users are real professionals who can't be bothered by pointless apps. Then you catch you breath and say but hey isn't it great that we can now have access to GP. Which is it? We don't need apps or we do? Or is the argument, we only need apps to attract the others. But that still doesn't make sense because it contradicts the point your making that you should be satisfied with the device for what it is.

It's like arguing with Cybil.
    You are trying to apply my personal opinion to all. That won't work.
    I got BlackBerry as it excelled as a communication device. Apps were a secondary need for me.
    BlackBerry 10 is diluted when it comes to communication but still better for me than android or others. And the addition of Google Play merely gives me access to a lot of apps on a platform that I prefer.
    This my own personal preference and can't be applied to people whose primary concern is apps. I can only speculate that the additional apps may sway people who want a simple platform with apps. Android can be a bit overwhelming for some.
    But if you want a proper soundbite you will have to ask someone who is more concerned about apps.
    As for your last line. I am satisfied with my device. But I won't say no to improving my experience

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    11-20-13 01:55 PM
    [RANT] If the Solution to the "App Gap" is  Google Play Why Buy a New BB?-img_00002169.jpg Thought I would never see this again. Commercial from this afternoon.
    11-20-13 06:21 PM
    It would mean that BlackBerry could have used the whole Android OS anyway, since the beginning of the end of BBOS.
    They shouldn't even have bothered making BB10 because they would admit defeat, if they need another app store than their own to sell devices.

It would mean that the 4 years of transition and coding BB10 was just a waste of time.
    This build also won't provide access to the Play Store, because BB10 doesn't run enough Android to use it.

Nothing of this whole APK installing is supported by BlackBerry or another app store like Amazon's.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. I am sorry, but I completely disagree.

There is so much more to BlackBerry 10/QNX. Having the core system as Android is VERY different to Android. It's worlds different.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-22-13 12:12 AM
179 ... 678