1st point: Sorry for posting in the wrong forum as i could not find a proper place to post this. If a mod could kindly put this in the correct place, i would be appreciative.

2nd point: Thanks to most of the people on here who volunteer their time to help others. I know the sacrifice you make to help those of us who are not tech savy, or have no experience with the BB's. Your help is respected and appreciated by myself and most others. That is not what this is about.

3rd point: I normally sit here at my computer and read most posts that are relevant to me (ie. the phone i have, general discussions, and carrier posts). I try to learn more about my device, as well as pitch in where i can by answering some questions if i have a reasonable solution. I do not have a huge post number, but i contribute only when i think i have something that gives to, not takes from, the discussion.

I have noticed that there are some on here who continually try to demean others. No matter what the topic, they jump in and begin to berate, and make users, such as myself, feel useless. This is not with most posters, but a select few. I have gotten much helpful information from this site from very friendly people. Had i been treated like then when i joined, i would have bailed. I mean REALLY! Does it make you feel good to talk down to people?

I don't mean pointing someone in the direction of a previous post, or things like that. I mean being just plain mean! I thought this was a violation of the forum rules, yet i see the mods in the threads and it just keeps going on.

I have really appreciated all the helpful information on here, but i had to say something. I try to be helpful without being arrogant, hateful, or just bullying anyone. Just wish others would do the same.
    10-06-08 04:41 PM
    Overall there is great degree of courtesy on this site when compared to most others. That being said, there seems to be some rude behavior here. Best to just ignore it IMHO.
    10-06-08 04:51 PM
    I 2nd all your points.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 04:52 PM
    As a Moderator of 2 Motorola forums I have to say this unfortunately is and always will be unavoidable. This is a super forum if you need to learn about BB's and I have learned to overlook the useless posts and move on but your points are valid.
    10-06-08 04:58 PM
    Very good observation, hopefully we can all remember to be kind. Especially the rude ones.
    10-06-08 05:01 PM
    I think I know the thread that upset you. But I think you misunderstood the other person posting, although I can see how you might have taken it the way you did. One of the problems with communicating through a forum is that you don't get to see facial expressions or hear voice inflections which immediately give us feedback on the tone of a conversation that's carried out in person.
    10-06-08 05:04 PM
    I think I know the thread that upset you. But I think you misunderstood the other person posting, although I can see how you might have taken it the way you did. One of the problems with communicating through a forum is that you don't get to see facial expressions or hear voice inflections which immediately give us feedback on the tone of a conversation that's carried out in person.
    Actually, it has been more than one. People who cannot be constructive in any way shape or form. Only out to demean others as if they do not matter. I wonder if i started answering those who do this the same way, how long would it take before i got booted off the site?

If you read thru the forums, you can pinpoint a few who do this (and there are very few on this site). I thought that maybe this would open people's eyes to how they appear/come off to the others on here, and especially those they are here to "help". If they were posting to HELP others, would they really being acting the way they are?
    10-06-08 05:10 PM
    Thanks.....
    10-06-08 05:15 PM
    Ditto's!

We want the Crackberry Community to expand--and it has becuase of all the great folks here.

This is a great reminder.
    10-06-08 05:40 PM
    Its def not just here. Forums all over ther internet are filled with people like that.
    10-06-08 05:45 PM
    Your best bet is to ignore the rudeness and don't take it seriously. There are people who are rude to me from time to time also. I look right past it...
    10-06-08 05:48 PM
    Please report any mean, flaming, attacking post. We will take care of it if we are aware. Just us mods dont read every post in every forum so the help we get from the members of the forum is greatly appreciated! Incase there is anybody who does not know how to report a post, it is the white triangle outlined in red in the top right corner of the post and just give a explanation on the reported post.
    10-06-08 05:48 PM
    Your best bet is to ignore the rudeness and don't take it seriously. There are people who are rude to me from time to time also. I look right past it...
    Awe man severe I didn't mean to upset you lol jk. But anyways I say just ignore them unless they say something completely out of line like insulting race,sexual preference. Etc

10-06-08 05:54 PM
    It's probably also a good idea to keep in mind that when you ask a question in a forum, you don't get to tell people how to respond.....and that what one person perceives as "rude" may be just the way the other poster responds.....and that it doesn't exactly forward the cause of politeness for us to automatically respond with name calling and assumptions about our lives outside of this forum.

Politeness, like many other things in life, is a two way street.
    Last edited by dlgus; 10-07-08 at 06:42 PM. Reason: so it made some sort of sense-lol
    10-07-08 06:41 PM
    Awe man severe I didn't mean to upset you lol jk. But anyways I say just ignore them unless they say something completely out of line like insulting race,sexual preference. Etc

Hahaha, I am the same way my friend...
    10-07-08 06:46 PM
    To add to what Garz said yesterday, if someone is flaming you or being rude or insulting, report the post, don't respond in kind. That just lowers you to the same level in the eyes of the mods. And if you think a mod is being rude or demeaning, report the mod. If one of us is out of line, the other eleven will set us straight.
    10-07-08 07:19 PM
    As always jeffh comes through! You are right people need to just report it. We are basically the neighborhood watch of this little world. As for the remark about not knowing where to place this post(to the original poster) there is a wonderfull rants and raves section on your local craigslist! J/K...
    Seriously though. Probably a good thing you brought it up. People get a little carried away at times.

10-07-08 07:32 PM
    Yeah, the Crackberry.com forums are great, but in the end of the day, it's still an internet forum. You're going to have jerks on here just like the rest of the internet. Just try not to let them get to you so much.
    10-07-08 08:43 PM
    I've learned no matter where you are in the word you'll run into people like this. I agree with you. But you just gotta push them aside.

10-07-08 09:05 PM
    Yeah, ignore those that rile you. However, if that does not work, report the offending party to the mods. I know some people frown on this, but sometimes it is a necessary evil on CB.

10-07-08 09:16 PM
    I used to post here a TON, help out to everyone, and post anything and everything i could to help.

This is the reason i have removed my PIN , and very rarely post here anymore...

Some people sour the experience for everyone, and i decided to just not post anymore...

if you look at my past posts, you will see 99% of them are helping, and the others were welcoming newbs or selling berries..
    10-07-08 09:24 PM
    Yeah, ignore those that rile you. However, if that does not work, report the offending party to the mods. I know some people frown on this...
    The only person that might frown on a post being reported is the person being reported on. As Chaz said, the Mods depend on reports because we can't watch everything all the time. The forums are largely self-policing. And for the most part that works well. I stumbled across an incredibly abusive and one-sided exchange a couple of weeks back that was a couple of weeks old when I found it. When I brought it to the attention of the other Mods, we were surprised that no one had reported it, not even the person being mocked and abused. If we don't know about it, we can't deal with it.

While on the subject of reporting posts, there is one problem that's occurred frequently lately. That is people inadvertently reporting a post. It seems to happen more often on WAP than on the pc forums. Maybe it's because the icons are closer together. I don't know. These are clearly accidental reports, where the person thought they were responding to the forum, but reported the post instead. Please pay attention to that.

To get back to the OP's point: always remember the Basic Member Rules of Conduct: Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-07-08 at 10:37 PM.
    10-07-08 10:30 PM
    I've tried to stay away from this thread, bit I just want to reiterate somethibg dlgus touched on briefly. This is a forum. All communication is in the form of text. That being said, there are numerous instances where a response is taken out of context, and someone winds up being offended. There are always two sides to every story, and perhaps some of these rude or demeaning posts that are being complained about in this thread were simply taken the wrong way.

Furthermore, cb is a community of 200000+ members. Personalities and opinions are bound to clash, it is what it is.

10-07-08 10:41 PM
    The internet is serious business. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. All threads like these do is give these people recognition and fuels them to keep doing the same. So, thanks...

10-07-08 11:02 PM
    I've tried to stay away from this thread, bit I just want to reiterate somethibg dlgus touched on briefly. This is a forum. All communication is in the form of text. That being said, there are numerous instances where a response is taken out of context, and someone winds up being offended. There are always two sides to every story, and perhaps some of these rude or demeaning posts that are being complained about in this thread were simply taken the wrong way.

Furthermore, cb is a community of 200000+ members. Personalities and opinions are bound to clash, it is what it is.

Over 350,000 members now!! And Growing a TON!

I totally agree... a lot of times members can be quick to take offense, when the other member may have been joking or using a sarcastic tone. I have seen tempers flare up numerous times over issues such as this.

In the end, like Garz and JeffH said... even if you are unsure whether the other member is joking or being offensive, if something truly offends and bothers you (or you think someone else is being harassed) then report the post properly and try to restrain from arguments. This keep the community a cleaner and less hectic place And then the mods are left to deal with sticky situations and mediate the argument and rudeness. The mods can clean up the mess and decide whether or not members are being utterly rude or just plain sarcastic! haha
    10-07-08 11:03 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD