Why hasn't RIM advertised and such that they have charging contacts. There's whole companies and products related around wireless charging (i.e. Powermat and Energizers charging mats) RIM had this long ago and it seems to go un-noticed. It's a shame really. Charging contacts and wireless charging cradles are amazing and go un-rewarded it seems.

I could be completely off but either way it's an amazing feature.

Thanks for reading if you did haha.

Merry Christmas
    12-06-10 12:27 AM
    Lol, charging contacts aren't really in the same league as wireless charging in my opinion. Besides, they've pretty much done away with them on newer designs.

RIM should consider doing Palm Touchstone like charging functionality on BBs, but then again their price margins would shift if that happened on the handsets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 12:35 AM
    Well, for some people, Powermat might be an option. Personally, I'm not gonna shuck out a Benjamin for a spiffy mat and another $30 plus for a back or charging block. I can spend $6 and get 2 wall chargers that work satisfactorily, and save Ben for my next device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 01:43 AM
    I LOVE charging contacts! Absolutely demand them. They help make the device a real, functional tool. I simply snap my Pearl into its Bury System 8 cradle with a single hand while starting the engine with the other hand. Many times a day. The cradle/charging contacts also charge the battery much faster than USB, imo. Lack of charging contacts is precisely why I will NOT waste time with the new toy Pearl. Even though I really like most everything else about it.

Its almost impossible to determine which models have charging contacts.
    Is there a listing of models with them? Ill probably wind up with a 9650 even though I dont like the size just because of the charging contacts.
    12-06-10 10:41 PM
    Its almost impossible to determine which models have charging contacts.
    Is there a listing of models with them? Ill probably wind up with a 9650 even though I dont like the size just because of the charging contacts.
    You sure can't tell from reading the official specs. The way I do it is to search for accessories for that model. If a charge cradle isn't listed then it's not on my nice list.
    12-07-10 10:16 AM
    I really like having the charging contacts(and cradle) for my 9700. I would've loved for my Torch to have those contacts. I wouldn't compare that to the charging mats however.
    12-07-10 10:52 AM
    Wondering what is everyones reason for not comparing charging contacts to something like powermat?

That sounds like its a fighting question haha, but it's just an honest question looking for an honest answer.

Thanks
    12-07-10 11:36 PM
    Wondering what is everyones reason for not comparing charging contacts to something like powermat?

That sounds like its a fighting question haha, but it's just an honest question looking for an honest answer.

Thanks
    Just my opinion but... I think the charging mats, however cool, are close to $100, while your basic charge pod is more like $12 - $14. Let me think how many cups of coffee that might buy...
    12-08-10 07:00 AM
    ^^^
    I think we're on the same page then. With a BB with charging contacts I don't see the point in needing a PowerMat or something like that.
    12-08-10 09:50 AM
    I really like having the charging contacts(and cradle) for my 9700. I would've loved for my Torch to have those contacts. I wouldn't compare that to the charging mats however.
    Huh? I just bought The Blackberry charging pod for the Toprch http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content as an Xmas gift for my brother's. It had better have charging contacts!
    12-08-10 09:57 AM
    So everyone has a charging contact? Really? Between you and me, I know how to charge my phone. I don't need a separate contact to tell me how to do it.

12-08-10 12:44 PM
    Huh? I just bought The Blackberry charging pod for the Toprch http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content as an Xmas gift for my brother's. It had better have charging contacts!
    Sorry that's not charging contacts. There's a micro USB sticking out of the side of that so when you place it on it's side the micro USB goes into the phone and charges that way
    12-08-10 12:46 PM

Thanks
    Are there any car cradles utilizing powermat technology?

I think that contact less technology is very interesting and certainly eliminates issues with contact corrosion, etc. The engineer in me is skeptical of the energy efficiency of powermat but Im also skeptical that a powermat could charge the phone any quicker than my Bury System 8 car cradle does. No telling what that rapid charge rate is doing to battery life, but that cradle charger sure gets it back QUICK. MUCH faster than anything that plugs into the Pearls mini usb

I also carry a charged spare battery in pocket and keep another in a stand alone charger in the truck Mission critical business, ya know so maybe my needs are a little non-average. ??

I seem to remember when powermat came out that conversions added some thickness to the phone has that issue been addressed?
    12-08-10 12:46 PM
    So everyone has a charging contact? Really? Between you and me, I know how to charge my phone. I don't need a separate contact to tell me how to do it.

??????????????
    12-08-10 12:51 PM
    Sorry that's not charging contacts. There's a micro USB sticking out of the side of that so when you place it on it's side the micro USB goes into the phone and charges that way
    Oh, well that's kind of bogus, I guess that's why it is a "Charging and Sync pod" as opposed to just a charger.
    Last edited by Tiassa; 12-08-10 at 02:55 PM.
    12-08-10 02:30 PM

I seem to remember when powermat came out that conversions added some thickness to the phone has that issue been addressed?
    I think the newer powermat battery's keep the phone the same size and just replaces the battery and door on your current device. However I remember a video at crackberry where powermat was working on just batteries that charge through your original BB back plate. So i guess a short answer is yes, it is addressed/being addressed
    12-08-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD