I'm in the same exact boat OP.

I made the switch to the LG Optimus G Pro, and DAMN this thing is awesome!

BIG screen (5.5") and 1080p BEAUTIFUL display are what attracted me to this phone over others (not to mention $99 price tag, which will probably drop even more once the LG G2 gets announced tomorrow.) No lag, and everything is snappy. Every time I use my GF's Z10, such as downloading a video clip or installing an app, there is a bit of hang time. Not the case with the LG G Pro.

I'm a heavy talker and heavy texter/messenger/emailer. The app issue was big for me. Granted, I don't use that many different apps, it's just that the ones I need aren't available for BB10.

- Quicken
    - QuickBooks
    - USAA
    - Patelco Credit Union
    - Bank of America
    - US Bank
    - Netflix (and no, Play On doesn't count)
    - and about 4 other exclusive corporate apps

Sure, I could use the browser for banking, but I have found it much quicker and a better overall experience using a dedicated app, not to mention features such as check deposit via app. And you would think that BlackBerry, the businessman/woman's smartphone, would support something so business essential as Quicken and QuickBooks, but nope. To top it off, there is the handful of exclusive apps my company uses that are only available for Android and iOS.

Will BB10 ever get these apps in the future? Good chance. Do I want to wait? No. Can I afford to wait? Hell no. I'm literally losing money by not having access to these apps. Furthermore, as the need for other apps will arise, I don't want to be stuck thinking, "Crap, will my BBRY get that app..."

The obvious solution for me was to get an Android tablet or iPad to be a sidekick to my BBRY. But after trying the LG Optimus G Pro, I said screw it, and made the switch.

What's even crazier is that things that BlackBery used to be good at, aren't; and Android (at least my Optimus G Pro) has done an even BETTER job at BBRY's own game. For instance, notifications and sound profiles. Native features in BB10 are crippled when it comes to sound profiles and notifications. My G Pro can be customized just how I like it, in fact, I can have it set up just like how my BB7 devices were (and the G Pro also has LED notification to boot). BB10 can't match. And I'm not waiting til 10.2 update comes out. People were saying stuff like this would be improved with 10.1 and look how that turned out. I'm tired of playing the waiting (for months and months) game with BBRY.

The ONLY draw that BlackBerry has is the keyboard. Damn I love that keyboard. But, the ultimate drawback is that BBRY, the supposed "business" smartphone, is in fact NOT a great choice for actual business (for reasons stated above).

TLDR version:

Specific apps (the ones I really need on a day to day basis or else I lose money kinda apps) and faith knowing that new apps I will need will be readily available; display quality; sound profile/notification customization are reasons why I switched to Android.
    Last edited by JR A; 08-06-13 at 12:21 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and Alphax45 like this.
    08-06-13 12:09 PM
    3000 posts! Didn't even notice that.

I agree that if "BB Agenda" came out, the forums would declare it the greatest creation since pantless penguins, but you have to also factor in that Google, as a business, wants this information. Do others collect everything else too? Probably. But their business bottom lines are not contingent upon serving up ads to you.
    This is key and really underscores one of the disadvantages BlackBerry has against competitors. Google's business isn't selling Android devices or mobility: it's data. Android is just Google's way to gain and monetize more data from mobile users. Apple's business is devices, but it has a preexisting and complementary set of products and services at its disposal. A user invested in iTunes might be more inclined to get an iPhone, and an iPhone user might be more inclined to then purchase a MacBook, etc.

BlackBerry's business is selling phones and that's pretty much it. As a proprietary platform, it can't leverage other services like Samsung can, and doesn't it have its own rich ecosystem like Apple. BlackBerry either has to shift its business away from selling devices or come up with additional products and services it can offer that will help it sell more devices.
    raino likes this.
    08-06-13 12:29 PM
    Google Now: what you call very well integrated, I call creepy.
    I agree that it's "creepy", but it's more helpful than creepy, so I like it. Google Now told me that my flight was delayed before Delta (app) did on a recent trip. It's interesting that Google Now figures out where you live and work, though it asks you to confirm it after a certain amount of time has passed. Others are right in that this offers a benefit to the passive user, versus Siri only benefits active users.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-06-13 12:38 PM
    After the PB & BB10 disaster I said to myself "enough is enough" it is time to move on. I caved into the Android temptations and purchased the HTC One. I love the customizations of Android, the Sense keyboard is just as good as the Z10's, automatic app updates, still have a LED notification light plus a centralized notifications center in which I can open right from the lock screen, and a huge upgrade to the camera. I'm sorry but the Z10 was a very subpar camera at best. Especially in low light situations.

What broke the camel's back for me was the apps. Now this is beating a dead horse but it is true. Viessmann released an app which is applicable to my area of work for the App Store and Google Play but no mention of BlackBerry. Same with Taco Pumps and Honeywell. Yeah I could probably put in a request for the .bar file but side-loading gets to be cumbersome. And if there is an update for any of those apps I would have to wait for a new .bar file and go through the whole process again.
    08-06-13 12:43 PM
    Ok; here is my situation:

Canadian, using a Bold 9900. Trying to stick with BlackBerry to show my love of my country, but to be honest they are not making it easy!

Onto the "meat" of my post:

I am becoming more and more tempted by each new Android phone announcement. It seems (in my view) BlackBerry is not doing enough to keep/catch up. I'm in contract, so I can't leave without giving the carrier a ton of money - so I will stay with BB for the foreseeable future, but from what I see they will suffer from "death by 1000 cuts". For example:

- Google Now integration with the OS (Moto X has done this very well)
    - Apps (Not in the normal sense. I see contests on TV/other media and the app is 99% of the time iOS and Android only. Starting to feel left out)
    - Hardware (BB needs to step up in the specs race. Regardless of what the OS needs to run well, the specs matter.)

I said this on Twitter a while ago but I really think BlackBerry needs to play dirty. Take an iPhone 5S and a Samsung Galaxy S4 (when they come out), take the engineers, lock them in a room and don't let them out until they make a phone that does what both those can do AND something else to really WOW the public. Make BB king again!

Feedback appreciated
    No need to stay with BlackBerry if you don't like what they have. Buy what suits your needs. It's a phone, that's all.
    08-06-13 12:44 PM
    You misunderstood my point about apps. In fact, I was telling the OP to figure out which ones he needs, and if they aren't on BBOS, then jump to another platform..
    I hear you, but between my bank's app, waze, skype and instagram... i mean, that's kind of "basic" these days..
    They should pay up, bring more BIG native apps IMHO
    08-06-13 03:09 PM
    apps? The day is coming when they wont be necessary,,,,,
    08-06-13 03:12 PM
    apps? The day is coming when they wont be necessary,,,,,
    I'll watch YOU hold YOUR breath.
    scorpiodsu and Acidwire like this.
    08-06-13 03:20 PM
    Aw come on. You know if BB had something like Google Now (perhaps they could name theirs BlackBerry Agenda?) people here would eat it up. It's pretty incredible. I love having traffic and flight notifications pop up in my task bar. I've tracked packages from amazon. I've scouted out new restaurants. It's how I start my gps navigation now. I get Royals scores and play-by-plays. I can view things like my next calendar appointment and the weather. I've just never seen a more comprehensive "mobile personal assistant" that actually does what I need it to when I need it to.

Happy 3K posts, btw
    They do though. Although it's not as fully functional like Google Now, it still does a good job

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 03:37 PM
    They do though. Although it's not as fully functional like Google Now, it still does a good job

Posted via CB10
    I haven't heard about it, but I'm definitely interested to learn. Link?
    08-06-13 04:04 PM
    I hear you, but between my bank's app, waze, skype and instagram... i mean, that's kind of "basic" these days..
    They should pay up, bring more BIG native apps IMHO
    Sure, but you're getting into generalizations here. You don't know which "basic" apps the OP uses, neither do I. Each person should evaluate their own needs before deciding which phone to go with. Instagram and waze (if we're talking just waze, not GM) are not even on my radar when I am evaluating an ecosystem for myself. But that may be different for you, and may or may not be for the OP.
    08-06-13 04:05 PM
    Do like I did with my Z10. I bought a Google nexus and now have all those apps to compliment my Z10. I am now ba k to bei.g happy. Tablet is 229 for 16 gig

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:53 PM
    I went with android the day they announced end of the playbook. Don't regret it whatsoever. Android is pretty sweet these days. I do miss bbm but I shouldn't have to wait too long for that.

Sent from my HTC One running PlayBook 3.0
    08-06-13 06:00 PM
    To Op,

Why don't you try android right now?
    Lets see if you will like motorola in the future.

Nexus 4 is better than motorola x (except for camera hardware).

You don't have anything to lose in trying android.
    You can always come back.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 07:35 PM
    I'm in the same exact boat OP.

I made the switch to the LG Optimus G Pro, and DAMN this thing is awesome!

BIG screen (5.5") and 1080p BEAUTIFUL display are what attracted me to this phone over others (not to mention $99 price tag, which will probably drop even more once the LG G2 gets announced tomorrow.) No lag, and everything is snappy. Every time I use my GF's Z10, such as downloading a video clip or installing an app, there is a bit of hang time. Not the case with the LG G Pro.

I'm a heavy talker and heavy texter/messenger/emailer. The app issue was big for me. Granted, I don't use that many different apps, it's just that the ones I need aren't available for BB10.............................................. ......................................
    Couldn't have said it better. I made the switch to a Nexus 4, awesome phone. Because of the work I'm doing I need several banking apps in different countries and they are available for Android.

Version 2.x of Android was an OS I couldn't have lived with but V 4.2 and up is polished and fast.

I'm not loyal to any of those tech companies because in the end they just want to make a profit and as we seen it many times before they don't actually give a s... about the end user.

For the OP: Buy a phone that makes your life easier.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-06-13 08:42 PM
    Aw come on. You know if BB had something like Google Now (perhaps they could name theirs BlackBerry Agenda?) people here would eat it up. It's pretty incredible. I love having traffic and flight notifications pop up in my task bar. I've tracked packages from amazon. I've scouted out new restaurants. It's how I start my gps navigation now. I get Royals scores and play-by-plays. I can view things like my next calendar appointment and the weather. I've just never seen a more comprehensive "mobile personal assistant" that actually does what I need it to when I need it to.

Happy 3K posts, btw
    Royals Fan? Booooooooooo.....Cards FTW. Note: You guys have a nice stadium..
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-06-13 09:27 PM
    Get whatever phone you want and have no regrets. I did.
    The fact that I am not enamoured with either Apple or Google's business practices need not affect you. I hope you find and enjoy whatever you choose good sir.
    08-06-13 10:00 PM
    My opinion? Don't buy the phone just because it's Canadian, buy a phone that you want.
    I tend to agree with this point of view generally, except for one thing. While the brand name may not be important, the maintenance of knowledge based industry is very much in any country's national interest. Mobile software development can't be left solely on the west coast of the United States. That is in one country's national interest but not everyone's.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 11:09 PM
    Hi all. OP here. Looks like I sparked some good discussions! I'm going to stick it out for a while longer (mostly because I don't want to pay the large fee's to upgrade) and see what BlackBerry has up their sleeve. Maybe they can tempt me to stay. Thank you everyone that participated in this thread. Nice to know I'm not alone in how I feel.

One more thing; to those saying "try out an Android phone" I wish there was a "rental" place where you can go rent to try out a phone for a week. Killer business idea there for someone!
    08-07-13 07:33 AM
    Hi all. OP here. Looks like I sparked some good discussions! I'm going to stick it out for a while longer (mostly because I don't want to pay the large fee's to upgrade) and see what BlackBerry has up their sleeve. Maybe they can tempt me to stay. Thank you everyone that participated in this thread. Nice to know I'm not alone in how I feel.

One more thing; to those saying "try out an Android phone" I wish there was a "rental" place where you can go rent to try out a phone for a week. Killer business idea there for someone!
    I think that's why carriers have a return period. Enjoy your stay on BB!
    Alphax45 likes this.
    08-07-13 08:09 AM
    I think that's why carriers have a return period. Enjoy your stay on BB!
    Most carriers have either a 10 or 14 day trial period. You probably won't even need the whole trial period to make a decision; you'll know within the first few days if its going to work out or not.

Use this to your advantage, OP.
    08-08-13 01:01 AM
    You can either buy an Android tablet if you do not have a tablet already or you could buy a used, off contract Android phone for ~50 USD off eBay that you cannot activate (because it uses an obscure, regional, CDMA American carrier).

Here is a list of good value devices you can choose from: Huawei Premia 4G, Samsung Axiom, Kyocera Hydro XTRM, or the HTC EVO 3D. The EVO has the worst specs but the best developer community. The Huawei Premia has the best specs but a nonexistent developer community. It has the same CPU as the Z10.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 08-08-13 at 01:30 AM.
    08-08-13 01:19 AM
    You can either buy an Android tablet if you do not have a tablet already or you could buy a used, off contract Android phone for ~50 USD off eBay that you cannot activate (because it uses an obscure, regional, CDMA American carrier).

Here is a list of good value devices you can choose from: Huawei Premia 4G, Samsung Axiom, Kyocera Hydro XTRM, or the HTC EVO 3D. The EVO has the worst specs but the best developer community. The Huawei Premia has the best specs but a nonexistent developer community. It has the same CPU as the Z10.

I would advise AGAINST this suggestion.

OP, if you're going to try out an Android phone, try out the best you can get your hands on, and the ones you are considering buying. Low tiered/outdated Android devices won't give you the same impression as say the LG Optimus G Pro or HTC One or Samsung S4... Likewise, if someone wanted to give BlackBerry a try, I wouldn't recommend them the Bold 9700 or even a 9900. As great as those phones are, they're not a true representation of what the platform is today and where it's going...
    08-08-13 01:46 AM
48 12