Greetings again,

I come on a much sourer and confused note then my first postings (if that's at all possible).

A quick skimming of my tale as a back round. I have no need for any phone I dont like phones, and I don't like anything with wires to be fair. Work forced a blackberry on me so I joined here hoping to find a use for it as well as some education on the device (8530).

Now, I have had it for around a week of use. By use I mean I left it on my desk or handed to my assistant. I pay someone to take my calls and do my emails. So might as well make him earn his wage as far as I saw. Being company property of a higher employee, he treated it with the utmost care, and often it just sat on a desk.

Now randomly I was going to lunch and grabbed it so I could surf the Motley Fool, during my solo meal break. Damnest thing didn't turn on, at all. I handed it to a few people to see if it was off or battery was dead (I'm the first to admit I don't get tech).

No dice, so I'm now on my lunch time running to IT, they confim it's death. So logically missing my lunch and having a phone die, I was a bit upset. I did the only thing that seemed prudent at the time.

I made a great use of being top floor and having old styled open elevator doors.

I went told my boss about it and requested that it not be replaced. I went into zone out mode for the incoming flak about destruction of company property and my general lack of care about this company. Fast forward 10 minutes or so, I am shooed off to the HR office and told the phone is being replaced, and "upgraded". So now I have en route, an LG Ally. I hope to find a reason to destroy this as well, as I can't work touch screens at all due to hand injuries. Work's quite aware of this matter a fact that only sours the taste in my mouth.

While is is long winded, how common is this for a brand new phone to just, die? IT professionals (who happen to be black berry users and fans) confirmed that it just died and would need replacing.

What could cause a phone to just not "boot" at all, even swapping batteries it just wouldn't turn on, at all.

I noticed there is a "other platform" area I probably will peek my head over there and see what information I can grasp is on this other phone. But I would like any information on what could have been the cause of this phone's death.

Regards,
    08-19-10 02:56 PM
    Personally, I have never heard of this happening. Usually, a phone not even powering on would be symptoms of water damage or a faulty battery.
    08-19-10 03:03 PM
    Personally, I have never heard of this happening. Usually, a phone not even powering on would be symptoms of water damage or a faulty battery.
    Does the 8530 have a water strip like many other phones?

I feel IT would have mentioned it had they seen it being registered as "wet". We tried their batteries and mine also just a straight A/C plug in.

It was just not doing anything.

So this is quite uncommon?
    08-19-10 03:28 PM
    Definitely not common.

There are three moisture detecting strips on the Berry. One on the battery, one on the phone located around where the battery sits, and the last being inside the phone's housing.

Usually when it is a non-battery related issue, the phone will show at least a small sign of power reaching the internals (keyboard backlight flash, LED flash, white screen, stuck on boot screen, ect)
    08-19-10 03:51 PM
    ANY electronic device is subject either arriving dead (called DOA, or Dead On Arrival), or dying soon after purchase due to some defect. Perhaps he had a bad chip, or a loose wire or some other manufacturing defect. I'm sure your company was able to get the phone replaced under warranty.

I understand your distaste for cell phones, and I think I remember your first thread on this topic. Some folks just prefer to do business the old fashion way, and prefer face to face contact. This is NOT a bad thing. HOWEVER a cell phone, especially one with data can be used to enhance your business and can help to facilitate face to face contact. Call and emails can be used to set up meetings and to help guide us to each other. Modern smart phones have calender functions AND GPS direction functions, which can be used to help us get together for these face to face meetings.

My point is DON'T see this as a replacement for your way of doing business but rather as an enhancement. Learn to use your phone, and it can be a productive business tool.
    08-19-10 03:57 PM
    ANY electronic device is subject either arriving dead (called DOA, or Dead On Arrival), or dying soon after purchase due to some defect. Perhaps he had a bad chip, or a loose wire or some other manufacturing defect. I'm sure your company was able to get the phone replaced under warranty.
    A valid point. If it wasn't water damage, this is more than likely the cause of death. Not common of Blackberry's though.
    08-19-10 04:11 PM
    So, there were strips for moisture, and I was not told they were, active or working in other words showing any moisture.

So that would leave it as being a DOA. It worked flawlessly for the short time I did have it until this snag.

pkcable, if I could get over making a mule look easy going, I think you are right. I'm sure there are features (I wasn't even close to mastering the use of mine) that would help me and still let me link to the old fashioned ways (ironic from someone who still has time till his 30th.)

Now, for what ever reason the phone's being replaced with something else, I must say Kudos to the fullest to Verizon since the phone is still at the bottom of the elevator and they are replacing it. My hot temper sliped out and it thankfully hasn't bit me, I can only hope the replacement is a bit luckier in life.

I'll give it a fair try but I really do see my self giving the 8530 another chance.

Thank you both very much for your time in this matter.

Regards,
    08-19-10 04:28 PM
    There is a Power Cycle Loop issue with some of the 8530s. It could have been caught in that. I also had one a few weeks ago that wouldn't power up after a wipe. Sometimes I'd get a red light and other times it would flash red. Tried various batteries and chargers. Got sidetracked and left it on the charger and a few days later noticed it was back to life and working.

IMO, this isn't uncommon for any mass-produced product. That's why they provide a 1 year warranty.
    08-19-10 04:43 PM
    The LG Ally is an Android phone which is another smart phone platform. Crackberry.com's parent company has an Android site too called Android Central, which would be a GREAT place for you to check out to get info and help regarding that phone....

http://www.androidcentral.com/
    08-19-10 04:46 PM
    The LG Ally is an Android phone which is another smart phone platform. Crackberry.com's parent company has an Android site too called Android Central, which would be a GREAT place for you to check out to get info and help regarding that phone....
    Thank you very much for the help!

I will return if I wind up with another black berry, but I do want to greatly express my thanks for showing tolerance and patience dealing with an odd case as myself.

Warmest,

Edit: had to remove the link, to post.
    08-19-10 06:19 PM
    Personally I think it just got overloaded with baaad juju! Haha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 06:46 PM
    What kind of work do you do, if you don't mind me asking. You seem to hate your job!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD