I am from Canada on Rogers and roaming in the Netherlands. I already burned through my $50 10mb data roaming pack so I decided to turn off the radio on my phone while in the office and using laptop for mail. I have my BB (Torch 9800) attached via USB to charge it.

So here is the weird part... I am getting emails. Hard to tell so far, but I think it's just to my BES-managed account, not the BIS one. But still, why am I getting messages with only USB attached?

Oh, and internet access seems to work too.

Is this intentional? If radio is off, is it using my roaming data plan? I hope not. I didn't think USB cable was a way to get messages and data. Was I wrong in this assumption?
    09-15-11 09:30 AM
    If you are still getting emails on your torch it is because they are being pushed thru whatever server - BIS or BES because the radio is only for phone calls. You should not be getting calls with the radio off but should bet any push notifications including the email that you have set up.
    09-15-11 10:02 AM
    not sure that is true... by "radio" I mean mobile network. In OS6, I have gone in and pressed "Turn all connections off". That is what I mean by "radio off".
    09-15-11 10:09 AM
    not sure that is true... by "radio" I mean mobile network. In OS6, I have gone in and pressed "Turn all connections off". That is what I mean by "radio off".
    and that is what I meant...the radio is you phone. Are you able to receive calls with your radio off?
    09-15-11 10:15 AM
    no phone calls.

it IS the USB. If I unplug it, I get emails and have web access.

some things that need data access don't work, like BBM. It seems very weird that some things work and some don't. To me, I didn't think ANYTHING would work with "Turn all Connections off".
    09-15-11 10:22 AM
    also, BES emails are coming through, but BIS are not. very strange behaviour
    09-15-11 10:26 AM
    also, BES emails are coming through, but BIS are not. very strange behaviour
    Well I am going to say that you are right in your statements and so am I. The emails like I said are push notifications and if all this is going on with BES and not BIS that is really your answer because it is all coming through your corporate server.

I will say that with all connections on your phone turned off anything that has to do with the radio(phone) should not come thru.
    09-15-11 10:41 AM
    Is Desktop Manager running? Do you have a VPN connection set up on your BlackBerry? Your BES is likely pushing corporate emails through the USB connection to the Internet. If all radios are off then that's the only way you could still be receiving BES emails.
    09-15-11 12:45 PM
    Disconnect from USB and it should be normal again. Problem solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD