"Hey guys, let's not bother marketing when we first release our brand new full touch device with brand new Operating System and want to introduce the world to it. Also, let's not bother marketing when we release our flagship keyboard phone which the boss predicts will sell "tens of millions" of devices. Rather, let's wait until we put the company up for sale before we really do any hard target marketing. Mmmmmkaay?" - said no one ever Blackberry
    LOL. I also recall some trying to start a "grass-roots" movement utilizing word of mouth.........you know, like when you see your favorite movie or a good steak house.

My honest opinion is BlackBerry has been priming itself for a potential sale or partnership. Yes, they have done some things, but, efforts always seem to be almost enough.......like horseshoes. Never overkill or too much. After two years and a new operating system, I expected BlackBerry to come out with a marketing and advertising like we have never seen from them - ever. The most important that I have yet to see from BlackBerry is SOU.......a Sense of Urgency. Staying in the Black with 3 Billion Dollars is important to potential buyers......and not so important to a struggling to survive company that has yet to prove to it's 70 million customer base that they really want our repeat business as opposed to "assuming" that we will remain faithful. That's the same arrogance that started this "slippery slope" for RIM 3-4 years ago. BTW, if you're going to make your 1st new BlackBerry one that is all touch, and similar to an iPhone in an attempt to capture/recapture some of the iPhone consumer base, it would have been a great(not good) idea to make damn sure the carriers were behind you and understood the companies' ....SOU after two years with nothing on the market. Also, IMO, the new BlackBerries should have been ready for sale.....the day after the SuperBowl Ad. I know, long shot. But, more BlackBerries would have been sold and we would not be boasting about their 3 Billion in the bank due to a larger marketing/ad campaign.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-23-13 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Clarification.
    h20work, phuoc and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-22-13 08:32 PM
    After two years and a new operating system, I expected BlackBerry to come out with a marketing and advertising like we have never seen from them - ever. The most important that I have yet to see from BlackBerry is SOU.......a Sense of Urgency.
    +1 Most people know I've been a Blackberry naysayer for a while now (my last straw was with the Torch 9800) anyways.. I honestly expected BB to pull out all the guns for their new operating system and things were pointing in that direction when they finally released a SuperBowl ad. However..the sheer lack of advertising after that made me realize that nothing had changed. And for those people hoping that finally now something will change..I hate to be a bubble burster..but nothing will.

Sent from my gesture controlled Nexus 4
    Last edited by Rickroller; 08-24-13 at 02:15 PM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-22-13 08:51 PM
    While I'd like to believe that BlackBerry is indeed preparing to announce some blow-out good news, I think it's very unlikely; and here is why - BlackBerry is very good at creating 'hype' and but very very bad riding this hype. They have a track record of underwhelming.

Z10 is launching on Jan 31! Yay..! Now, we fans, all hype this up in our heads. We dream of all cool accessories BB would launch, what they'd do to attract customers, we wait for amazing media blitz/advertising campaign. But what happens? BB Z10 launch event itself turns out to be an under-whelming event! BB Z10 also lacks many legacy features (features that were quntiessential BlackBerry were missing like custom notifications is missing, copy/paste/text-selection is less than stellar and so on). To top it all up, Z10 didn't even release in US for a long time! No cool accessories (like docks, wireless charging etc) were announced/released either.
    Result: fans deflated! positive hype turned into negative word of mouth.

BBM-X-Platform is coming!! Yay!! Let's all get hyped up. But wait..when is it coming? End of summer! When exaclty? Dont know.. just end of summer! *deflated*
    To top it all up, the BBM-Cross-Platform user-guides make it clear that they are launching a very very under-whelming version of BBM on iOS and Android. No voice, no video, no screen share, no channels!. Such under-featured messenger provides very little incentive for someone that is already using WhatsApp etc to switch to BBM.

So.. just because BlackBerry is quiet right now, it doesn't mean they are preparing for some blow-out news! Maybe it's simply because they have NOTHING to share. If their past behavior is any indication, it can be inferred that if they had ANYTHING to share, they'd have shared it already (even pre-maturely, months in advance!)

So, anyway, I mean to say, let's not read too much between the lines. If they release some amazing blow-out news, let's all cartwheel, sing and dance and be genuinely surprised. But let's not set ourselves up for (another) disappointment (that we've faced so many times because we over-hyped expectations in our own minds).
    Blacklatino, ljfong, imz and 3 others like this.
    08-22-13 09:02 PM
    While I'd like to believe that BlackBerry is indeed preparing to announce some blow-out good news, I think it's very unlikely; and here is why - BlackBerry is very good at creating 'hype' and but very very bad riding this hype. They have a track record of underwhelming.

Z10 is launching on Jan 31! Yay..! Now, we fans, all hype this up in our heads. We dream of all cool accessories BB would launch, what they'd do to attract customers, we wait for amazing media blitz/advertising campaign. But what happens? BB Z10 launch event itself turns out to be an under-whelming event! BB Z10 also lacks many legacy features (features that were quntiessential BlackBerry were missing like custom notifications is missing, copy/paste/text-selection is less than stellar and so on). To top it all up, Z10 didn't even release in US for a long time! No cool accessories (like docks, wireless charging etc) were announced/released either.
    Result: fans deflated! positive hype turned into negative word of mouth.

BBM-X-Platform is coming!! Yay!! Let's all get hyped up. But wait..when is it coming? End of summer! When exaclty? Dont know.. just end of summer! *deflated*
    To top it all up, the BBM-Cross-Platform user-guides make it clear that they are launching a very very under-whelming version of BBM on iOS and Android. No voice, no video, no screen share, no channels!. Such under-featured messenger provides very little incentive for someone that is already using WhatsApp etc to switch to BBM.

So.. just because BlackBerry is quiet right now, it doesn't mean they are preparing for some blow-out news! Maybe it's simply because they have NOTHING to share. If their past behavior is any indication, it can be inferred that if they had ANYTHING to share, they'd have shared it already (even pre-maturely, months in advance!)

So, anyway, I mean to say, let's not read too much between the lines. If they release some amazing blow-out news, let's all cartwheel, sing and dance and be genuinely surprised. But let's not set ourselves up for (another) disappointment (that we've faced so many times because we over-hyped expectations in our own minds).

"CrackBerry" has been tremendous for creating hype and extending it for BlackBerry. BlackBerry still doesn't know how to capitalize on said hype......usually with delay or two. By now, you would have thought a light bulb would go off and BlackBerry would have an excellent commercial with the Number 1 BlackBerry fan - CrackBerry Kevin. Someone who's a "ride or die" BlackBerry fan. Instead of some unknown actors/actresses who lack the CrackBerry addiction that would come across to all that see the commercial. Again......no SOU.
    08-22-13 09:30 PM
    By now, you would have thought a light bulb would go off and BlackBerry would have an excellent commercial with the Number 1 BlackBerry fan - CrackBerry Kevin. Someone who's a "ride or die" BlackBerry fan. Instead of some unknown actors/actresses who lack the CrackBerry addiction that would come across to all that see the commercial. Again......no SOU.
    Yep. It boggles my mind that they won't go to CrackBerry Kevin and be like "Kevin, here, come to Waterloo, help us create a bunch of commercials. We'll pay you $X for your hard work. But if your commercials help us becoming super hit (say, they start going viral, getting lot of youtube hits etc.), then we'd pay you additonal $$$$$"

You know, companies spend so MUCH money trying to recruit (and retain) talent. Here, you've CrackBerry Kevin running a bonafide fan site, clearly talented and yet you won't go and try to recruit him? I've no doubt in my mind that without CrackBerry, the current state of BlackBerry would be even worse. There would be no-one to write editorials, counter falsified editorials published by other haters, help BlackBerry users with issues!

CrackBerry is an asset to BlackBerry! If BlackBerry can spend millions on super-bowl commercial and nonsensical stuff, why can't they spend some money in hiring/contracting bonafide talent from CrackBerry team? Let your biggest fans, passionate spokesperson do something in official capacity.

Hire CB Kevin, give him a budget and a timeline, and let him produce some stuff (commercials, revamp of user-guide mannual etc, get his inputs on UI of key BB apps like BBM etc.). Give him an official role, official power and let him do some stuff!

Worst case scenario: Kevin would produce commercials and drive changes that are NO BETTER than what BlackBerry is already producing.
    but
    BEST case scenario: given that Kevin runs a fan site and is deeply aware of what users want, Kevin would produce commercials and drive changes that will bring MILLIONS (if not BILLIONS) in additional sales!
    08-22-13 09:52 PM
    Yep. It boggles my mind that they won't go to CrackBerry Kevin and be like "Kevin, here, come to Waterloo, help us create a bunch of commercials. We'll pay you $X for your hard work. But if your commercials help us becoming super hit (say, they start going viral, getting lot of youtube hits etc.), then we'd pay you additonal $$$$$"

You know, companies spend so MUCH money trying to recruit (and retain) talent. Here, you've CrackBerry Kevin running a bonafide fan site, clearly talented and yet you won't go and try to recruit him? I've no doubt in my mind that without CrackBerry, the current state of BlackBerry would be even worse. There would be no-one to write editorials, counter falsified editorials published by other haters, help BlackBerry users with issues!

CrackBerry is an asset to BlackBerry! If BlackBerry can spend millions on super-bowl commercial and nonsensical stuff, why can't they spend some money in hiring/contracting bonafide talent from CrackBerry team? Let your biggest fans, passionate spokesperson do something in official capacity.

Hire CB Kevin, give him a budget and a timeline, and let him produce some stuff (commercials, revamp of user-guide mannual etc, get his inputs on UI of key BB apps like BBM etc.). Give him an official role, official power and let him do some stuff!

Worst case scenario: Kevin would produce commercials and drive changes that are NO BETTER than what BlackBerry is already producing.
    but
    BEST case scenario: given that Kevin runs a fan site and is deeply aware of what users want, Kevin would produce commercials and drive changes that will bring MILLIONS (if not BILLIONS) in additional sales!
    They would rather hire an iPhone fangirl named Alicia Keys. Stupidity knows no bound indeed.
    imz and mjdimer like this.
    08-23-13 12:18 AM
    Well I can say I had a very good experience with the BlackBerry tech team here in Canada. This is my 6 BlackBerry and I was having some serious battery problem with my Z. I called them direct did not go through my carrier and they helped fix the problem,she was on the phone with me for about an hour looks like one of the files were damaged when I updated to 10.1 then to the MR update...she had me do some stuff with phone and then walk me through the wipe and reload....with all this gloomy stuff....it was nice to see someone really cared and wanted my Z to work.... thought I would share a nice story about BlackBerry...
    08-23-13 12:28 AM
    They would rather hire an iPhone fangirl named Alicia Keys. Stupidity knows no bound indeed.
    Honestly I know we all respect Crackberry journalists here, but I can't see any major company handing over business strategy and advertising to them. With the greatest respect to Kevin et al, it makes no business sense.

Having said that though, they could do a lot worse, as you say, the whole Alicia Keys posting made such perfect sense and worked out so well too.....
    08-23-13 05:48 AM
    He has positions in Crackberry and Mobile Nations not easily replaced. Kevin, that is.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 06:28 AM
    Honestly I know we all respect Crackberry journalists here, but I can't see any major company handing over business strategy and advertising to them. With the greatest respect to Kevin et al, it makes no business sense.

Having said that though, they could do a lot worse, as you say, the whole Alicia Keys posting made such perfect sense and worked out so well too.....
    Nobody is asking to replace business leader with Kevin. Point is - hire him as a consultant and let him do some special projects. Like get him to meet developers and explain what features should be prioritized. Get him to give his ideas/mockups for commercials etc.

It's not like he is unqualified. He is educated and has proven track record of spreading the BlackBerry brand. He has same qualifications as many job-candidates would; and PLUS he has a proven track record of helping the BlackBerry brand!

Headhunting is common in tech industry. So, BlackBerry should head hunt these folks! It's not like Kevin and team are unqualified, uneducated buffoons! They have education + experience that would set them apart from most candidates.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    08-23-13 09:22 AM
    There is a feature - that could be the difference!

Mobile Computing! They have not shown what they mean, but in my opinion it can just mean: use your smartphone as your content-hub and get your things done with the power of your smartphone!

+Docking Station for Desktop like use including mouse, keyboard, Big displays, printer, cardreader

+DLNA, miracast,... to watch content on all kind of devices - maybe sell a dongle for users, that have these features not integrated yet

+Dump tablet to get the experience on a bigger screen!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 09:39 AM
    Strictly Business. Use CrackBerry and Alicia Keys. Point being, The ONLY buzz about the Z....was coming from this site- not the carriers, the media, and "minimal" from BlackBerry. Again, a lot of assumptions and no real SOU.....from BlackBerry about potential sales. Alicia Keys is hot(smokin'), and I listen to her music. But, I didn't see nor feel any real passion for BlackBerry from her(especially while using an iPhone to discuss BlackBerry), as opposed to CrackBerry Kev.

LOL. Who would care more about BlackBerries being sold at a high volume, a pop artist or someone that has built a forum and a business......around BlackBerries. Hmmm......
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 08-23-13 at 10:35 AM.
    08-23-13 09:46 AM
    Nobody is asking to replace business leader with Kevin. Point is - hire him as a consultant and let him do some special projects. Like get him to meet developers and explain what features should be prioritized. Get him to give his ideas/mockups for commercials etc.

It's not like he is unqualified. He is educated and has proven track record of spreading the BlackBerry brand. He has same qualifications as many job-candidates would; and PLUS he has a proven track record of helping the BlackBerry brand!

Headhunting is common in tech industry. So, BlackBerry should head hunt these folks! It's not like Kevin and team are unqualified, uneducated buffoons! They have education + experience that would set them apart from most candidates.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Again , for the record, total respect to the crackberry team, but without any proven track record of such work i can't see them doing it. They gave Alicia Keys are posting with no experience at all only because she was a celebrity in their home turf (not such a big one elsewhere, more small-town Waterloo thinking). Which is a shame, as I completely agree they are passionate about the brand in which certain photogenic iphone wielding young ladies they gave a chance to are not. Frankly they would do well to listen to a pitch at the very least if Crackberry had one to offer.
    08-23-13 10:08 AM
    I guess that they ll make any announcements for BBJAM ASIA and Q2 earning which are the same dates...As the saying goes, I am hoping for the very best (10.2 goes live, company goes private with Prem and Mike leading the pack, new big apps, awesome partnerships such as Amazon or Google or MSFT and more iphones explosions) but I am prepared (though I am really not) for the worst (sale by parts, BlackBerry as a brand is gone and Apple pulls out a super smartwatch that can cook pastas)

PS: until then, it s gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time
    08-23-13 05:39 PM
89 ... 234