There isn't much that annoys me on my new bb curve - however, one thing that drives me crazy is the 160 character limit on my sms texts.. I know that if i text someone on my network they can receive longer messages (i used to be able to send longer texts on my old phone). is there any way to remove this 160 character limit on the verizon curve? Thanks in advance!
    06-21-08 12:47 PM
    Im pretty sure there is no way to change the max character limit. But you do realize if you just continue typing that it will start a 2nd page. So you can just keep txting away, and when you send..it will just send your msg in multiple txts..
    06-21-08 12:51 PM
    Sorry, no. The only thing you could possible do is to send them an email, or use an MMS, which would allow up to 1000 characters.
    06-21-08 12:52 PM
    Im pretty sure there is no way to change the max character limit. But you do realize if you just continue typing that it will start a 2nd page. So you can just keep txting away, and when you send..it will just send your msg in multiple txts..
    Multipage texting is an SMS extension. Verizon phones don't support it. 160 characters is the limit.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-21-08 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Clarity
    06-21-08 01:14 PM
    Nor does sprint...
    06-21-08 01:29 PM
    And sprint does not do mms

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 01:39 PM
    The 160 character limit is not a Verizon thing. Its common to all carriers because SMS means Short Messaging Service. Short messages. Not novels. Not trying to be mean or rude, but that's what it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 08:49 AM
    Yeah, but every other phone I've had since 2003 has been able to automatically start a second message if I pass 160 characters. Given the seeming difficulty that happens when sending MMS between different providers, not having this feature that pretty much every other phone has.. Well, it's annoying. Not a deal breaker, but annoying.
    06-22-08 09:44 AM
    just my 2 cents.. if i really really have to i prefer sending 2 myself, becuase it always seems when i recieve texts from people who let their phone split it into 2 parts, it always cuts off mid-thought and i almost always get the 2nd half before the first, so i'm like what the...?
    06-22-08 01:17 PM
    Multipage texting is an SMS extension. Verizon phones don't support it. 160 characters is the limit.
    I wish you could continue to type even if you reached the limit as well. This is not a issue specific to Verizon persay. I guess its with the blackberries and maybe the other phones, but the Windows Mobile phones allow you to keep typing and it automatically splits the message into multiple messages. I think thats the only thing I like better on the Treo and XV6700 I had when compared to the BB LOL.
    06-23-08 09:38 AM
    If someone with a Windows Mobile device sends a multi-page SMS message to your Verizon 8330, do you
    A) receive all of it as separate 160-char messages,
    B) receive only the first 160 chars, or
    C) receive none at all?
    06-23-08 10:03 AM
    t-mo allows you to have 6 pages of 160 char on each page. just tested it
    06-23-08 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the info. If you have any friends with Verizon blackberrys, what do they get when you send them a multi-page SMS? Which one of the choices I listed in post 11?
    06-23-08 10:26 AM
    I don't know anyone with Verizon BB, sorry, if you want i can sent you a text. i know that i have received text message for people that don't have blackberry's and there phone split the text and sent me the 2nd page 1st the the 1st page came in right after the 2nd page. but this does not happen all the time because the same person sends me alot of long texts and normal i get the 1st page 1st
    06-23-08 10:40 AM
    Since you've posted your PIN, how about I pin you with my blackberry number and you send me a 2-3 page SMS? I don't really want to publish my phone number to the forum!

Your long SMS can just be 160 AAA followed by 160 BBB. I just want to see if I get anything.
    06-23-08 10:48 AM
    My wife and I are both on VERIZON. She has a standard flip phone (samsung) and I have the BB 8130(pearl). On her phone she can send SMS of any length (much more than 160 characters). On her phone its called an EMS. If she sends me a SMS of more than 160 characters I recieve the entire message as one big message, it works perfectly fine. I however can only send her 160 characters at a time. But I can send messages to her VIA MMS and then I have no limit.
    06-23-08 10:49 AM
    I know - that's also been my experience. If someone sends me an sms and it's longer than 160, it all appears in one continuous message on my bb. I had a flip phone before my curve, and i used to be able to type up to 7 sms continuously to other verizon customers, and they would receive them all in a single message. it's a shame that rim puts a limit on you like that, but it's definitely them, not verizon. thanks for all the responses guys, i appreciate your time.
    06-23-08 11:10 AM
    kstoutdog: thanks for the info. It's good to know you receive the entire message. Re MMS, the 8830 doesn't have MMS, neither send nor receive, because it doesn't have a camera.

kfrey: Thank you!! I received 4 separate SMS messages, one after the other, starting with "AAaa" and ending with "dddd". It is very good to know that Verizon users can receive long texts, even if we can't send them. As you probably guessed, I don't typically text anyway, other than short messages to my kids' cells, so plain SMS works for me.

Thank you both for educating me.
    06-23-08 11:12 AM
    ...it's a shame that rim puts a limit on you like that, but it's definitely them, not verizon...
    Actually, it's neither Verizon nor Rim. The SMS standard is 160 7-bit characters. Verizon doesn't implement Extended SMS for their blackberry's. Some other carriers do, some don't.
    06-23-08 11:15 AM
    I hope this help the OP.
    06-23-08 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD