Hello,

So I was looking around on ebay and was thinking about picking up a blackberry on the cheap to replace my lost phone. the phone I am interested in was listed as a non functioning phone because "The phone cannot be activated on a new account because its current account is locked by the carrier."

My question is this, If I purchase this phone would unlocking the phone solve the problem and allow to me use this phone?

Thanks guys
    03-16-11 07:24 PM
    Sprint will only activate a device with their own branding. You cannot use VZW (or any other phones not Sprint branded).

If Sprint is your provider, you must purchase a Sprint device.
    extmenace likes this.
    03-16-11 07:28 PM
    well the phone I was looking at on ebay was a sprint phone. ]

"The phone cannot be activated on a new account because its current account is locked by the carrier."

What exactly does that mean? I mean i can read that the phone is locked by sprint but because its being listed as non-functioning I can get the phone really cheap. The phone is for sprint, so if I have a sprint account...can I use the phone? or if I unlocked the phone could I use it on any other service providers?

Thanks again
    03-16-11 07:35 PM
    well the phone I was looking at on ebay was a sprint phone. ]

"The phone cannot be activated on a new account because its current account is locked by the carrier."

What exactly does that mean? I mean i can read that the phone is locked by sprint but because its being listed as non-functioning I can get the phone really cheap. The phone is for sprint, so if I have a sprint account...can I use the phone? or if I unlocked the phone could I use it on any other service providers?

Thanks again
    It means that the seller probably did not pay his bill or reported the phone lost or stolen, so the ESN has been blacklisted. If Sprint will not remove the blacklist, you will buy a paperweight. If it is a BlackBerry and has been reported lost or stolen, the PIN is blacklisted, so even if it is a world phone (dual CDMA/GSM like 9630 or 9650) it will not be capable of using data on any other provider.
    03-16-11 07:39 PM
    so unlocking the phone has nothing to do with anything for this matter. the seller is pretty much saying that the phone was blacklisted and cannot be activated. is there any way to get a blackberry un-blacklisted?
    03-16-11 07:46 PM
    Not possible. The phone is doa.
    extmenace likes this.
    03-16-11 07:48 PM
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    03-16-11 08:02 PM
    While on CDMA, the term unlocking really doesn't mean much. This applies to the GSM side of things. As mentioned above, Sprint, and Verizon, will not activate phones that are not branded by them. You cannot activate a Sprint phone on Verizon, and vice versa.

You can unlock an AT&T phone, and use it on T-Mobile however. You can also unlock certain Verizon and Sprint phones to use on AT&T or T-Mobile, such as the Storm, Tour, Bold 9650, etc.

Unlocking in this case will do absolutely nothing. Pass on this phone, and keep looking. By purchasing this, you will be losing out on your money, since there is a good chance that it be unable to be activated on Sprint.
    extmenace likes this.
    03-16-11 08:02 PM
    I won't answer since others have already done a better job, HOWEVER, I would like to ask that, the OP, extmanace, be more careful with his thread naming. We ask that you guys give your threads a meaningful title. It helps us to help you, PLUS it makes your thread more useful to others with the same questions.

No big deal, just letting you know for the future. This time around I changed the title.
    03-16-11 08:14 PM
  10. T
    As mentioned above, Sprint, and Verizon, will not activate phones that are not branded by them. You cannot activate a Sprint phone on Verizon, and vice versa ...
    Does this just mean that Sprint won't activate a phone with another carrier's brand, or does it mean Sprint won't activate any phone (like an unbranded phone) that doesn't bear a Sprint brand?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 10:31 PM
    Does this just mean that Sprint won't activate a phone with another carrier's brand, or does it mean Sprint won't activate any phone (like an unbranded phone) that doesn't bear a Sprint brand?

sprint activates sprint phones
    verizon activates verizon phones

you can unlock those world phones to use the GSM bands on another carrier though
    03-17-11 01:23 AM

Sprint and Verizon both will not activate non branded handsets onto their network. If it is branded by the individual carrier, then the ESN number will be in their database. If it isn't, they have no way of activating it.

This actually makes things a bit easier, as they do not need to offer support or worry about other phones on their network. Try using an unlocked T-Mobile phone on AT&T, and calling customer service for help. They are clueless, as they don't have any information on the type of phone because it is not carried by them. You are pretty much on your own, especially for carrier settings to set up MMS or a browser.

And finally, the phone is guaranteed to be compatible on the network if it is provider branded.
    03-17-11 08:40 AM

With the exception of some small carriers, in general CDMA carriers will not activate any phones without their own branding. If the ESN is not in their database, they refuse to activate the phone.
    03-17-11 11:13 AM
  14. T
    Thank you!

03-17-11 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD