Quick question, if I turn on the GPS to "enabled" and just keep it on, will it drain my battery considerably?
    10-29-10 12:14 PM
    Quick question, if I turn on the GPS to "enabled" and just keep it on, will it drain my battery considerably?
    Depends on how you use your device. I leave mine on and BerryWeather uses it to update, and I can go about 24 hours on single charge with heavy usage. No gaming, no videos, no music, just messaging and updates.
    10-29-10 01:41 PM
    It all depends on the app that is using the GPS. If I'm running Googls maps which is constatly running the GPS the battery will run low fast. Other like Berryweather that only uses it occasionally, it will not drain veryfast.
    10-29-10 02:11 PM
    Thanks guys. Sorry I wasn't really descriptive of my problem, but believe it or not both of you answered my question! I have a 9530 that is flashed to Metro and I find that a lot of the apps that use weather, such as the BerryWeather or some other application that puts the weather app on the home screen, don't work. But I downloaded a trial version of Aerize WiFiX and I couldn't get Blackberry Maps to work, but Google Maps works perfectly. I was pretty surprised with how accurate the GPS was with Google Maps, so I was to leave it on and play around with it because most of my apps are themes or shortcuts to web links.

I know now to leave my GPS off unless I'll be using it. Kudos to the both of you.
    10-29-10 03:58 PM
    By the way Valorian, I'm running on the .328 OS but I've never updated a OS before without Desktop Manager. Is it hard to update to the .797?
    10-29-10 04:02 PM
    I don't think you understood correctly. You can leave the GPS setting to Enabled, just make sure no GPS-Aware apps are polling the GPS and you won't have any additional battery drain on the device.

The issue is not whether the GPS is "enabled", it's whether or not there's an app running that polls the GPS chipset for coordinates that causes a constant drain. Even when enabled, the GPS on the device goes into suspend mode unless polled by an app.
    10-29-10 05:06 PM
    Ohh ok. Thank you.
    10-29-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD