So, despite the fact that I am proud Apple lover and iDevice user... I would be lying if I said Blackberry wasn't a VERY close second contender for my gadget love.

To satiate my Blackberry itch, I was thinking of purchasing a PlayBook again, and a random Blackberry Bold of my choosing.

My question pertains to the Blackberry phone mostly. Obviously I could the PlayBook on a straight wifi connection... But what about the phone? Is it possible to still use a Blackberry phone on just a wifi connection alone, without having to activate it with my carrier first?

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (New iPad, Tapatalk HD)
    Last edited by Sancho90; 08-10-12 at 02:28 PM.
    08-10-12 02:25 PM
    Define "use"

Search bar is at the top right too

Wifi Compatible App list for BBs
    08-10-12 02:33 PM
    Define "use"

Search bar is at the top right too

Wifi Compatible App list for BBs
    Not so much use as in a phone, but more so use as, say, the Playbook for a data consuming device.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    08-10-12 02:38 PM
    I'd say, if you have a PlayBook and don't plan on activating the BB with a carrier, the BB would be mostly useless. The biggest advantage right now of the BB/PB combination is the bridge. You would get some benefits, like sharing photos and media between the two devices; but without BIS and the PIM apps on the phone, you kind of lose most of the more useful benefits.

But the PB is still a pretty cool tab on its own.
    James Nieves likes this.
    08-10-12 02:49 PM
    Yes honestly, BB Bridge Remote would be the only real benefit in getting the phone as well.
    08-10-12 02:53 PM
    That's what I was thinking.

Well, if that's the case, I'll probably skip the phone. Or, still get one and just activate it every once in a while!

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    08-10-12 03:08 PM
    Actually you can, if you get a refurbished one I believe.
    When I purchased one off Craigslist I wasn't able to use it on just wifi, but when I ordered my previous 9930 off of Amazon in a refurbished state I was able to use it on just wifi. The only thing that didn't really work was bbm.

So my advice would be to get one refurbished off of Amazon. That's what worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-10-12 03:31 PM
    Actually you can, if you get a refurbished one I believe.
    When I purchased one off Craigslist I wasn't able to use it on just wifi, but when I ordered my previous 9930 off of Amazon in a refurbished state I was able to use it on just wifi. The only thing that didn't really work was bbm.

So my advice would be to get one refurbished off of Amazon. That's what worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice. I figured as much that a brand new one wouldn't be the way to go.

I was definitely going to purchase a used one.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    08-12-12 12:13 PM
    Alright, gonna resurrect this thread for yet another quick question.

I'm sold and I'm definitely gonna purchase another Blackberry phone. Now, I just need a recommendation for one to fill the void that my Bold 9930 left. Anybody have any suggestions? Mind you, I will be buying used and I'm on Verizon. So I would prefer one I could possibly activate at some point.

Doesn't matter what line of Blackberry it may be, Curve, Torch, Bold, Tour... As long as it has a bomb keyboard, I'll be happy.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    08-13-12 11:15 PM
    I was in about the same situation as you. Had a Curve 8330 and needed something newer to use with Playbook, but wanted to keep my options open for a BB10. Got a Bold 9650 on eBay, and am really regretting it. I like all the improvements over the ancient 8330, but I really detest the keyboard. I'm not sure I can tolerate it until whenever the BB10 finally hatches.
    08-14-12 12:26 AM
    I was in about the same situation as you. Had a Curve 8330 and needed something newer to use with Playbook, but wanted to keep my options open for a BB10. Got a Bold 9650 on eBay, and am really regretting it. I like all the improvements over the ancient 8330, but I really detest the keyboard. I'm not sure I can tolerate it until whenever the BB10 finally hatches.
    Dang, that sucks... I'm sorry my friend.

Well, I might just try my luck with eBay and see if I potentially snag another 9930 for relatively cheap. I fear I may be too spoiled by that insanely awesome keyboard to go for anything else.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    08-14-12 12:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD