HI there! I have the Nokia E5 and i am planning on replacing it with a BB phone.

I was wondering if there is any BB phone that can be setup or is capable of being a wifi hotspot?

if yes may i know which one?

Thanks.
    06-13-11 01:56 AM
    Right now, no blackberry device can do that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 03:34 AM
    No current Blackberry model has wifi hotspot built in just yet, but you can use a device like a Cradlepoint router to create a hotspot anywhere you have data service. This would connect to your Blackberry to create a hotspot using the BB's data connection.
    06-13-11 07:11 AM
    No wifi hotspot but you can connect via the usb cable and the Desktop Manager.

06-13-11 07:23 AM
    No wifi hotspot but you can connect via the usb cable and the Desktop Manager.
    You can also connect via Bluetooth, but that just connects the one device to use your BB as an internet gateway, no hotspot. Now, you can do things to that one device to make it into a hotspot, but it's not just simple stuff. There is Connectify that can make that device's wifi card act like a hotspot... you can backfeed a wireless router and make things work. Lots of not so straight-forward ways to get to the same point but a direct connect hotspot like a Cradlepoint is the simplest... at least until BB comes out with the hotspot embedded.
    06-13-11 07:32 AM
    If you're only looking to connect one laptop to it wifi hotspot is a bit of a waste, it will use up your device battery and the laptop's.

If you connect via the cable and DM at least your blackberry battery will get charged and you can disable wifi on the laptop too.

If you need it to connect more then one then that's a different story.

06-13-11 08:04 AM
    honestly you might as well wait till august when the fireworks start with all these devices being loaded with wifi hotspot but all is well with that feature if RIM doesnt get it in writing and $30 extra charge if its not included with the data package wild battery drainage & for starters i know none of them wireless carriers are going to give you free access to that feature all we could do is wait & see
    06-13-11 01:26 PM
    No current Blackberry model has wifi hotspot built in just yet, but you can use a device like a Cradlepoint router to create a hotspot anywhere you have data service. This would connect to your Blackberry to create a hotspot using the BB's data connection.
    Can you post a link of that router that connects to the blackberry and shares its 3G speed? is it the CTR500? that connects via usb to the cellphone?

honestly you might as well wait till august when the fireworks start with all these devices being loaded with wifi hotspot but all is well with that feature if RIM doesnt get it in writing and $30 extra charge if its not included with the data package wild battery drainage & for starters i know none of them wireless carriers are going to give you free access to that feature all we could do is wait & see
    You will need a tethering plan if you plan on sharing the blackberry connection with other devices via wifi. So yeah, you will get charged extra on top of the data plan for it, just like any other tethering plan. Thats assuming the new devices come with a wifi hotspot, since right now, there are no indications, the simulator has no signaling that the device has wifi hotspot, but again, its a really old simulator of the 99xx.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-13-11 at 02:27 PM.
    06-13-11 02:23 PM
    Can you post a link of that router that connects to the blackberry and shares its 3G speed? is it the CTR500? that connects via usb to the cellphone?
    Here is a place to get started... The CTR500 is just one of many that will work.

http://3gstore.com/router_advisor/
    06-13-11 02:29 PM
    is there any software that can use my bb's 3g connection on win 7 pc and make it a wifi hotspot? ive tried connectify but then my bb doesnt connect to the internet on DM.
    07-02-11 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD