the complete guide for blackberry wifi how-to thread is closed, and it says my account cannot post under the how-to subforum section so...

The area where it says
    Mobile network only
    Mobile network preferred
    Wifi only
    Wifi preferred

"This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)"

I don't understand what the Note meant, what is EDGE? and what does it mean this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between edge/wifi? wifi browser/internet browser,whats the diff?
    And does anyone know what IT Policy is?
    03-16-10 03:11 AM
    what is EDGE? ...
    That How Too was created before Bold was introduced. Prior to the upgrade to 3G service, the common service was EDGE or GSM.

what does it mean this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between edge/wifi? wifi browser/internet browser,whats the diff? ...
    The settings you are looking at apply, primarily, to Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), a feature supported on several models when used with a supporting carrier like Rogers.

If your 9700 has been provisioned for UMA service, it will use a Wifi connection when available and fall back to your cell connection when out of range. When active, UMA provides Voice, SMS/MMS and BlackBerry Internet Service (data).

If you are not provisioned, I am not sure about that model, you will not see UMA on your display when you are in a Wifi Hotspot. Voice and SMS/MMS will continue to use cell service, but your Browser can be set to Hotspot to use the Wifi connection.

And does anyone know what IT Policy is?
    IT is an abbreviation for Information Technology and usually refers to the computer maintenacne and support group. If you have a company issued device, it is likley the IT group will insist on a number of usage restriction like no third party programs or you must use a password. Those are IT policies that are installed on your BlackBerry.

If this is a personal use BlackBerry, there should not be any IT policy restrictions.
    03-16-10 10:18 AM
    That How Too was created before Bold was introduced. Prior to the upgrade to 3G service, the common service was EDGE or GSM.

The settings you are looking at apply, primarily, to Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), a feature supported on several models when used with a supporting carrier like Rogers.

If your 9700 has been provisioned for UMA service, it will use a Wifi connection when available and fall back to your cell connection when out of range. When active, UMA provides Voice, SMS/MMS and BlackBerry Internet Service (data).

If you are not provisioned, I am not sure about that model, you will not see UMA on your display when you are in a Wifi Hotspot. Voice and SMS/MMS will continue to use cell service, but your Browser can be set to Hotspot to use the Wifi connection.

IT is an abbreviation for Information Technology and usually refers to the computer maintenacne and support group. If you have a company issued device, it is likley the IT group will insist on a number of usage restriction like no third party programs or you must use a password. Those are IT policies that are installed on your BlackBerry.

If this is a personal use BlackBerry, there should not be any IT policy restrictions.

thank you sir for the answers

So this is what i figured, correct me if i am wrong please:

Wifi browser = browsing with wifi
    initernet browser = browsing with data? (browsing with data must use EDGE or 3G?)
    And setting wifi preferred will only affect the whether calling will use wifi or GSM, browsing is a seperate setting?

"and lastly, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi."
    Means the setting only automatically switch between "GSM and Wifi" but when your cellphone connects to "EDGE and Wifi" at the same time, it does not automatically switch? (i've had situations where i see no cell signals but it says EDGE on my phone)
    03-16-10 01:32 PM
    It turns out, my information about UMA, and the connections it creates, does not apply to the 9700 Bold.

That is good news for the Bold owners on carriers that do not support UMA, they can now connect to BIS through Wifi directly.

Your carrier does support UMA, but I don't know how that applies to the Bold 9700.

I have moved your thread to the device subforum for input from our Bold 9700 members.

03-16-10 01:49 PM
    It turns out, my information about UMA, and the connections it creates, does not apply to the 9700 Bold.

That is good news for the Bold owners on carriers that do not support UMA, they can now connect to BIS through Wifi directly.

Your carrier does support UMA, but I don't know how that applies to the Bold 9700.

I have moved your thread to the device subforum for input from our Bold 9700 members.
    How is what you said about UMA doesn't apply to 9700(is there a link for such info on 9700)?
    Why is that good news? lol
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 03-17-10 at 02:25 PM.
    03-16-10 01:54 PM
    bump.. any 9700 expert have any answers?
    03-17-10 02:07 AM
    Without a data plan you only have WiFi available to use. Do a search for using your device without a data plan - there are tons of posts about that subject.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 02:27 AM
    ya exelant, I think I know that, but i am asking to know about UMA to try to understand that aspect, along with some technical noob stuff, plus I can always change my plan with added browsing to my email+IM plan.
    03-17-10 02:59 AM
    Sorry, but it's truly hard to figure out what exactly your questions is right now... can you elaborate???

I'll try to see if I help a little... first, I have no idea if UMA will even work without a BB Data Plan, and the way Rogers breaks out email+IM without Browsing is beyond me. If you device says UMA instead of 3G, then I'd imagine you are using UMA. This will not make the calls free, but they will use Wifi, and still count against the minutes on your plan.
    03-17-10 06:07 AM
    BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs

Wi-Fi802.11b/g enabled
    Wi-Fi Alliance Certifications: WPA/WPA2 Personal and Enterprise, WMM, WMM Power Save, Wi-Fi Protected Setup
    Cisco CCX certification
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry Internet Server
    Direct IP web browsing over Wi-Fi
    Support for UMA
    This is from the Bold 9700 spec sheet. What stands out is the Wifi access to BIS, which is not supported on the earlier models like the Pearl and Curve.

I have been in converstion with the OP, he and I are Rogers Wireless customers so I can contribue some information.

The OP has a BIS email plan the does not support Browsing. The alternate plan available is capped at 50 Mb and does include Browser, Streaming and Third Party applications support.

This question is directed to members using the Bold 9700 on Roger or Fido in Canada, do you have UMA support?

03-17-10 12:56 PM
    Since UMA will not contribute to any free minutes, I don't think its of any use to me, since I am in covered areas about 99% of the times.
    I never seen UMA on my phone, I don't think I have it.

But besides this wifi to BIS option, everything else about UMA apply to 9700? cuz I was confused by what you said about somethign that doesn't apply.
    If a carrier does not support UMA and you are on older pearl/curve, you cannot connect to BIS thru wifi?

BlackBerry - 9700 Specifications - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Specs

This is from the Bold 9700 spec sheet. What stands out is the Wifi access to BIS, which is not supported on the earlier models like the Pearl and Curve.

I have been in converstion with the OP, he and I are Rogers Wireless customers so I can contribue some information.

The OP has a BIS email plan the does not support Browsing. The alternate plan available is capped at 50 Mb and does include Browser, Streaming and Third Party applications support.

This question is directed to members using the Bold 9700 on Roger or Fido in Canada, do you have UMA support?

Last edited by new_to_BB; 03-18-10 at 02:16 AM.
    03-17-10 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD