My babe is going to get her 1st Blackberry soon (I wonder why, I hardly ever talk about the device...) and we are a lil confused about O2, the stores, online shops and the site all say different stuff.

So if any of you guys out there can help, many thanks.

Here are the questions:

1- She's moving from PAYG to Monthly. Can she keep her number?
    2- If she buys from an online shop on one of those get phone for free deals, how can she keep her number? (Neither of us wanna have to learn a new one )
    3- On the store, they offered her a Bolt-on (�7,34) for Internet access, this is BIS right?
    4- Are there any kind of limitations on their BIS service (somewhere we've seen it say WAP is charged extra and there is a 200mb limit), thou in their site unlimited seems to mean unlimited.
    5- We're looking forward to using VOIP to dodge international fees. We were also told that on VOIP (iSkoot in this case, and Skype if it ever gets released) it was going to use up monthly minutes. Is all this correct?
    6- Any suggestions of VOIP if iSkoot/Skype is not exactly functional?
    7- Can she Tether on O2? Are there fees for doing it? (Do we need TetherBerry for this?)

Thanks again!
    10-04-09 02:11 PM
    My babe is going to get her 1st Blackberry soon (I wonder why, I hardly ever talk about the device...) and we are a lil confused about O2, the stores, online shops and the site all say different stuff.

So if any of you guys out there can help, many thanks.

Here are the questions:

1- She's moving from PAYG to Monthly. Can she keep her number?
    2- If she buys from an online shop on one of those get phone for free deals, how can she keep her number? (Neither of us wanna have to learn a new one )
    3- On the store, they offered her a Bolt-on (�7,34) for Internet access, this is BIS right?
    4- Are there any kind of limitations on their BIS service (somewhere we've seen it say WAP is charged extra and there is a 200mb limit), thou in their site unlimited seems to mean unlimited.
    5- We're looking forward to using VOIP to dodge international fees. We were also told that on VOIP (iSkoot in this case, and Skype if it ever gets released) it was going to use up monthly minutes. Is all this correct?
    6- Any suggestions of VOIP if iSkoot/Skype is not exactly functional?
    7- Can she Tether on O2? Are there fees for doing it? (Do we need TetherBerry for this?)

Thanks again!
    1. If it is within the same network then yes it's pretty easy. If not you have to request the PAC code to get your number transferred.
    2. I'm not sure about doing it online actually. Should call and ask or shoot o2 an email
    3. The internet bolt on is NOT the BIS. You need to actually select the blackberry plan.
    4. I'm with o2 blackberry and it is 'unlimited'. Their fair use policy applies but to the normal user it is it pretty much 'unlimited'
    5. Not sure..
    6. Same again.. not sure.
    7. I phoned o2 about tethering. Think they charge to tether. That was a while ago so you should check again.
    10-04-09 02:18 PM
    1. If it is within the same network then yes it's pretty easy. If not you have to request the PAC code to get your number transferred.
    2. I'm not sure about doing it online actually. Should call and ask or shoot o2 an email
    3. The internet bolt on is NOT the BIS. You need to actually select the blackberry plan.
    4. I'm with o2 blackberry and it is 'unlimited'. Their fair use policy applies but to the normal user it is it pretty much 'unlimited'
    5. Not sure..
    6. Same again.. not sure.
    7. I phoned o2 about tethering. Think they charge to tether. That was a while ago so you should check again.
    Thanks elzy! Mind to clarify a few things?

1. Yes, it's O2 PAYG to O2 monthly. I did have mine moved recently from a network to another and all I had to do was sit and wait, hope it is even easier within the same network.

2/7. OK, we'll do that.

3. Then I suppose this is bad news. How much actually is BIS on O2?

4. So unlimited is actually limited but we won't have to worry about it. Good enough, nobody planning to download torrents or something... Where can we find solid information about this, as in the actual numbers and such?

Anything else we should know about BBs on O2? Last thing we want is a 'surprise'...
    10-04-09 02:45 PM
    Hi

Here are the details you need, the 200mb limit does not exist anymore. Their website has outdated information in places.

BlackBerry from O2 - O2 Unlimited BlackBerry tariff for consumers

Unlimited with an excessive use policy is what it is, what is excessive..... we dont know. Generally if o2 feel you have used your data too much they will probably call you and warn you but not charge you unless you persistently go over after having received a warning.

I no of no one on o2 who has received any such warning.

Wap is included in your alowance but o2 do charge if you use their mobileweb settings. I have never used these settings so have rceived no extra charges.

As you go through the online buying process there should be an option later on in the process for keeping your number. If not a quick call will sort it out.
    10-04-09 03:01 PM
    For VOIP you could try Vopium, works well on my bold, uses bundled minutes to connect to a UK number & then VOIP for the international bit. The software integrates well on the phone even using the built in contacts to connect international calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 03:12 PM
    Hi

Here are the details you need, the 200mb limit does not exist anymore. Their website has outdated information in places.

BlackBerry from O2 - O2 Unlimited BlackBerry tariff for consumers

Unlimited with an excessive use policy is what it is, what is excessive..... we dont know. Generally if o2 feel you have used your data too much they will probably call you and warn you but not charge you unless you persistently go over after having received a warning.

I no of no one on o2 who has received any such warning.

Wap is included in your alowance but o2 do charge if you use their mobileweb settings. I have never used these settings so have rceived no extra charges.

As you go through the online buying process there should be an option later on in the process for keeping your number. If not a quick call will sort it out.
    Let me see if I got this right, so BIS is �10/month, there are nolimitations to the unlimited BIS and if i cont set anything up for WAP, there will never be charges. Is that it? Sounds nice if it is.

For VOIP you could try Vopium, works well on my bold, uses bundled minutes to connect to a UK number & then VOIP for the international bit. The software integrates well on the phone even using the built in contacts to connect international calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's great news, it's an alternative in case iSkoot/Skype fail us. But I do have to say I am a bit disappointed hehe, I was expecting to call for free.

Thanks john.woody and Hazysky for the info!
    10-04-09 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD