I have been using a bb for many years, and I am familiar with how to update the OS as I am constantly loading the latest leak.

I started with a pearl, and many devices later I'm now using the 9900 with 7.1

Each time I have always restored my settings and not done a clean wipe.

How do I go about wiping my device and getting my contacts back? I am using blackberry.net email address and I have no interest in syncing them to a PC or gmail account.

Is the best way to store them on my sim card or something else?

The reason I want to do this is my phone has been sluggish after the past few OS leaks and I want to start fresh.

Also, any suggestions for important emails I do not want to lose?
    04-06-12 11:03 AM
    Well, I think you can do a back-up on BBProtect, then perform a security wipe, and then reinstall the OS. In BBProtect Options, make sure to check and uncheck anything you do and don't want to back-up. You can then restore them after the re-installation.

Hope this helps!
    04-06-12 11:16 AM
    You don't want to save contacts to a SIM card. It only holds a small subset of the information in a contact entry. All you need to do is make a backup of your BlackBerry and restore it after the wipe. I don't use the blackberry.net email address because I can't access it on a PC.
    04-06-12 11:17 AM
    Why not just back up your device using Blackberry Desktop and only restore specific things after the clean wipe?

I also installed the leaked OS 7.1 and clean wiped, but then restored things individually. That way I did fresh app installs as needed without my previous settings, and contacts, but nothing else.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-06-12 11:23 AM
    To do a clean wipe it is under options, security settings, security wipe, you have to type "blackberry" and it will wipe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-06-12 11:25 AM
    I've always used desktop manager and completed the backup and restore. I guess I assumed incorrectly that when you update the OS in this mananer it is not a clean install.
    04-06-12 01:46 PM
    You assumed correctly. Installing an OS using DM does a wipe before the install. An additional wipe is not necessary.
    04-06-12 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD