I so far had the 8520 for 3 weeks and feel like there's still lot to learn from it. I wish things like these had physical manuals included with it.

Anyways, I am going to be traveling a lot for the holidays to different countries, and was wondering if my phone can't find a carrier to roam, can I still send BB messenger and other data related stuff if I get WiFi connection?

thanks,
    11-24-09 08:37 AM
    W-fi seems to have very limited function on this device. I just got mine yesterday, so I could be wrong. But, it seems the only way to use wi-fi is to set your browser to use the "hotspot" browser, which you have to go into the browser settings for. No option to just automatically use wi-fi if it's available. Kind of dumbt o even have wi-fi if that's the only usage of it.
    11-24-09 12:42 PM
    ...loks like I was wrong. I am able to send mail over wi-fi, and I am using the web now without having to first select the hotspot browser. Maybe when I tried it yesterday I didn't have a wifi connection. Now I can see the use for wi-fi. If I can get Skype going, this thing will be perfect when I go to Jamaica in January. I'll just be able to leave the Verizon radio turned off, and use wi-fi to do email and talk on Skype.
    11-24-09 01:25 PM
    Are you using TMO and getting a UMA connection? Normally BB data services don't operate over WiFi unless that is something new with newer OS releases.

...loks like I was wrong. I am able to send mail over wi-fi, and I am using the web now without having to first select the hotspot browser. Maybe when I tried it yesterday I didn't have a wifi connection. Now I can see the use for wi-fi. If I can get Skype going, this thing will be perfect when I go to Jamaica in January. I'll just be able to leave the Verizon radio turned off, and use wi-fi to do email and talk on Skype.
    11-24-09 06:03 PM
    u coming jamaica enjoy
    11-24-09 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD