I cant seem to find any sort of official publication anywhere, all I hear is that gps devices are not allowed into Cuba as well as other things. I also hear the list got updated over the years due to increased tourism, but every travel agency has different answers. As I said, can't find any official publication anywhere regarding cuban customs.

Anyone ever go there with a smartphone? What about playbook/ tablet? It would REALLY suck if they confiscate it upon arrival. I'd never get it back!

Do the resorts have wifi? I would imagine they do but in cuba I feel everything is uncertain lol. Some report there's wifi and others not.. Im staying at the iberostar varadero.

Thanks for any input. Hope this is posted in the right forum lol.
    06-08-12 11:28 PM
    My wife and I were in Cuba last August. I took my, then, Torch. I called Rogers before I left and put some international data on it.

I had zero problems. My phone went through x-ray/security without problems. I even had my phone out while I was waiting for my luggage to come out onto the carousel, as did several other people. Nobody said a word.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

My wife and I have been to several Iberostars through out the Caribbean, including Iberostar Laguna Azul in Varadero. We have NOT been to Ibero* Varadero. They, Iberostar, usually have wifi for a fee. Wifi is fantastic with a BB because you get full functionality of BBM too. Carried on many voice conversations over BBM to family members back home in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Last edited by RicZoh; 06-09-12 at 01:17 AM.
    06-09-12 01:12 AM
    It does indeed, thank you. So the wifi isn't free. How much does it cost anyway? On average..
    06-09-12 01:20 AM
    It usually depends on the resort how much it costs. Frankly, I cannot recall how much it is/was. It is expensive though. Something like $15 for 1/2hr? I say again, I cannot recall exactly how much it is. I'm only guessing.

Don't expect 3G either, if you're using the local infrastructure. You'll get Edge at best.

Try looking around TripAdvisor for information specifically for Ibero* Varadero. I'm sure others probably want to know those same answers.

06-09-12 01:40 AM
    I should add...

To access their wifi at Ibero* you'll need to goto the main reception desk. Pay for how much time you think you'll need, then they'll give you a password for the wifi network that will expire when your time is up. You'll have 24hrs to use your allotted time.

The last several places we've been to (Not Ibero*) they've had free wifi. But, we were hitting some higher end, adults only, places. Free, isn't always better. Everyone can access it, and it bogs the speed WAY down. Almost to the point where it is almost unusable. I'd rather pay a few dollars to have quicker internet speeds. So, yes its going to be expensive to use the internet there, but you're better off for it. Trust me.

Last edited by RicZoh; 06-09-12 at 01:49 AM.
    06-09-12 01:46 AM
    Found this on TripAdvisor. It is from a post dated: February 24, 2012.

When someone asked if there was wifi at Iberostar Varadero. This was the response:
    "it does in the lobby and in some of the junior suites. It is expensive 20CUC for one 24 hour period."

20cuc is exactly $20USD. Which at the moment is about $20.33 Canadian.

06-09-12 02:04 AM
    I really appreciate your responses, you went really out of your way.. Thank you! I guess I'll just save the trouble and not bring my devices. Besides, there's better things to do than be on them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    06-09-12 12:16 PM
    I can't believe I found a topic about this. I just found out that I might be going to Cuba for a week later this summer.

Are there any local SIM cards available that can be popped into a Bold 9650 for voice and text?

At $20.00 per hour, I'm thinking it might be better to go with a local SIM than pay the hotel wifi fees. This way I could call/text while not at the hotel.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    06-09-12 12:42 PM
    Thats a long shot, I think.

You could probably get your hands on a SIM card in Mexico, or Jamaica. But Cuba is an entire other story. Its a very poor country.

06-09-12 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD