Hi guys, newbie here recently got the BB 9000 Bold phone which is awsome. A few weeks ago got a data plan and have been using BB messenger to chat with my girlfriend. I have gotten very familiar with the way the BB messenger works but still come short in understanding some status icons of my contact.

I know I can set my status to whatever I chose but often times when I message my contact after about a minute or two of them not replying to my IM a little clock appears on their icon (contact busy it says when I check contact status). From experience I learned that this clock appears when my contact didnt read my message yet and by default BB sets the clock in an effort to notify me that this contact is not reading my messages. As soon as the message is read by my contact the clock disappears.

OK so far this makes perfect sense to me but sometimes I will message my contact and they will be able to read my messages and the clock will still be by their icon. Sometimes I won't message them at all and the clock will just appear by their name out of nowhere even if my contact is no where near the phone. Why does that happen? Is it because of a way they set their BB9000? (I know I cant set my status to the clock icon, my bb does it by default). Is it because they have gotten messages from other contacts and didnt open them and by default BB sets their status to busy (clock) which I would see? If my contact has gotten other information on their BB that they didn't get to such as unread emails, texts, missed calls, is this linked to BB messenger and BB messenger will show that contact as busy?

Can someone please help me understand that clock icon a little better and exactly how it works? Id really appreciate it. Thanks.
    03-09-09 08:45 AM
    Hi Piat-as far as I know the clock means its sending to the other person-and has not been rec'd on their end yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 01:48 PM
    Piatnik,
    I've been using BBM for a few months now very regularly, but I won't claim to know everything. I "believe," the clock icon means YOUR device is sending.
    a "D checkmark" means the message was delivered, and an "R checkmark" means the message has been read.
    I would _guess_ that if the clock appears on your end, it's indicating that your reception is not clear. But I could be wrong.
    AC.
    03-09-09 02:47 PM
    D=message has been delivered. The notification is on the persons phone but they haven't opened it yet.

R=the message has been opened.

Clock symbol on the smiley face = Once the message has been only delivered, after about 30 seconds or so the clock stays on the smiley face until read.

If you close the convo before the message has been read, then the clock will stay on the smiley face in the contacts until you send the person another message and it's read.

It is possible for a person to have the clock cleared from the smiley face even if they haven't opened your message. That happens if the person updates their status but still doesn't have to open your convo. That's how that happens.

X on the smiley face = person is probably on the phone or not in coverage.
    03-09-09 02:57 PM
    D=message has been delivered. The notification is on the persons phone but they haven't opened it yet.

R=the message has been opened.

Clock symbol on the smiley face = Once the message has been only delivered, after about 30 seconds or so the clock stays on the smiley face until read.

If you close the convo before the message has been read, then the clock will stay on the smiley face in the contacts until you send the person another message and it's read.

It is possible for a person to have the clock cleared from the smiley face even if they haven't opened your message. That happens if the person updates their status but still doesn't have to open your convo. That's how that happens.

X on the smiley face = person is probably on the phone or not in coverage.

Or is unavailable!
    03-09-09 02:59 PM
    Or is unavailable!
    Not on the Bold
    03-09-09 03:00 PM
    Not on the Bold
    Oh dang...so what do it look like when I am unavailable to you?
    03-09-09 03:04 PM
    Oh dang...so what do it look like when I am unavailable to you?
    It's a small little red dash that goes through your name. And of course you're in the "unavailable contacts" group. It's automatically created when a contact goes unavailable.
    03-09-09 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD