Hi im wondering if i log on to the internet with my black berry and go on Web messangers such as Yahoo go or AIM expreess do i get billed 15 cents a message or are messages sent on that data?
    09-03-07 09:45 PM
    It depends on the specific application you are using for IM. Most use data but there are a couple out there that use sms. Which IM application are you looking at?
    09-03-07 09:54 PM
    It depends on the specific application you are using for IM. Most use data but there are a couple out there that use sms. Which IM application are you looking at?

i wasnt using on app i was using a web based messanger go to go.yahoo.com to see what i mean
    09-03-07 10:59 PM
    Anything web based like that will usually be data. However, read the fine print and make sure it's not sending you text messages. I've never used the web based ones. There are some good IM applications out there that work very well on the BB and use data. I recommend this one.

JiveTalk
    09-03-07 11:19 PM
    [QUOTE=John Clark;29573]Anything web based like that will usually be data. However, read the fine print and make sure it's not sending you text messages. I've never used the web based ones. There are some good IM applications out there that work very well on the BB and use data. I recommend this one.

yeah i installed the 30 day trial its good so ur saying that i wont be billed any extra for using it if im 29.99 for unlimited data? text cost 15 cents a message will i be billed for that?
    09-03-07 11:36 PM
    If you're using JiveTalk then it uses data and you will not be billed any extra. JiveTalk is the best out there, IMO. Spend the $10 extra for the lifetime license, as well, when you do purchase it. That way if you have to replace your BB (warranty, loss, theft, just want a new device, etc.) you can get a new license on the new BB without purchasing it all over again.
    09-03-07 11:43 PM
    If you're using JiveTalk then it uses data and you will not be billed any extra. JiveTalk is the best out there, IMO. Spend the $10 extra for the lifetime license, as well, when you do purchase it. That way if you have to replace your BB (warranty, loss, theft, just want a new device, etc.) you can get a new license on the new BB without purchasing it all over again.
    also does email count as SMS?

or data?

because i asked all mesaging and media messages to be blocked but i can stil send email on my phone
    09-04-07 12:11 AM
    email, pin messages, and internet use is all data.
    09-04-07 12:18 AM
    email, pin messages, and internet use is all data.
    oh ok and one more queston is there a way to shut of vibrate on jivetlak i cant find it
    09-04-07 12:28 AM
    Yes, go to profiles and edit them there just as you would everything else.
    09-04-07 12:37 AM
    Yes, go to profiles and edit them there just as you would everything else.
    and does the blackberry have a message counter?
    09-04-07 12:43 AM
    Yes...you mean for emails, etc.?
    09-04-07 12:48 AM
    Yes...you mean for emails, etc.?
    yes how do i get to it 8700c
    09-04-07 01:07 AM
    The BB will count all unread messages and display that at the top of the screen. Once the messages are read the counter goes away.
    09-04-07 01:10 AM
    strangley even from all the info i heard i still get scared when i use jivetalk even thouhg i have blackberry unlimited data plan
    09-04-07 01:34 AM
    JiveTalk uses data. No question. No doubts. Enjoy JiveTalk.
    09-04-07 01:36 AM
    JiveTalk uses data. No question. No doubts. Enjoy JiveTalk.
    Yeah but i still have the fear of getting a bill with like 900 dollars
    09-04-07 01:49 AM
    You won't. Not for use of JiveTalk. It uses data, trust me. I am not a newbie to Blackberrys.... Click Here
    09-04-07 01:52 AM
    John definitely is not stranger to BlackBerry's. He's a wealth of knowledge, and absolutely correct. JiveTalk uses data. As long as you have an unlimited data plan, you have nothing to worry about.
    09-04-07 02:02 AM
    Yeah thanks for everything. When i called cingular They DROVE ME TO THE WALL!!!!!!!! I talked to like 8 people in one day i called 8 times and Each of them said something diffferent. The people who work there arent to educated about things they always have to do research or ask another person. So on the 8th call i immediatly asked to speak with the supervisor who was still kind of dim witted. So i asked to be on the safe side, to add these features

Text Restricted $0.00 Current Feature

MMS Opt Out $0.00 Current Feature

But i realized DAM people in tech support are really STUPID and i mean Stupid
    09-04-07 11:52 AM
    There's no reason to call people stupid. They may not always have every answer but that doesn't make them stupid. There are many tech people on these forums who do know what they are talking about and spend their time helping others and it's unfair to group them all into one "stupid" group.

There is no reason to opt out of text messages or MMS messages unless you want to prevent people from sending you text messages. If you are using JiveTalk you will NOT, I repeat NOT, be charged for text messages.
    Last edited by John Clark; 09-04-07 at 12:22 PM.
    09-04-07 11:59 AM
    There's no reason to call people stupid. They may not always have every answer but that doesn't make them stupid. There are many tech people on these forums who do know what they are talking about and spend their time helping others and it's unfair to group them all into one "stupid" group.

There is no reason to opt out of text messages or MMS messages unless you want to prevent people from sending you text messages. If you are using JiveTalk you will NOT, I repeat NOT, be charged for text messages.
    oh i blocked Just in case one of my siblings gets on my phone and loads the messangers that came with the phone and im sure those charge for text
    09-04-07 12:56 PM
    oh ididnt mean the forums i ment cingular tech support there idiots when i call.

someone said that using a web messanger like yahoo! go would charge me 15 cents a message but on there own page it says other wise

"obtaines from the web page"

How much does it cost to use Instant Messaging on my wireless phone?

QUESTION:
    How much does it cost to use Instant Messaging on my wireless phone?

ANSWER:
    IMPORTANT: The cost for using Instant Messaging via the wireless phone will depend on the method used.

Sending/Receiving via: Instant Messenger Types: Billed via:
    Built in Device Based IM Client AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
    Yahoo! Messenger
    MSN Messenger
    AT&T IM AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
    Yahoo! Messenger
    MSN Messenger

SMS**
    Yahoo! Go
    Yahoo! Messenger
    DATA***

NOTE:
    *You are charged $0.15 for each message you send and receive unless you are on a Text/Instant Messaging package or a MEdia bundle.
    **You will be charged for each message that is forwarded or sent to your phone as a text message. If you do not have a Text/Instant Messaging package, the cost is $0.15 per message. If you do have a package, each message counts toward your package total.
    ***All usage counts towards included rate plan Megabytes.

If you are viewing information on devices or services, please note: content reflects instructions for devices and services purchased from AT&T.
    Some differences may exist for devices not purchased from AT&T.
    09-04-07 02:59 PM
    hey im new to the site and i was wondering is there anyway to download aim onto the new blackberry 8330 for Verizon, i checked the blackberry website and they said it was only available for the curve on the sprint network. Any help would be sick
    05-16-08 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD