As I read many of the posts people state they have an Iphone, Droid X and now the Torch....or some combo of several phones often from more than one carrier. I am just curious, how do you afford it? I am always waiting for an upgrade to reduce my phone cost which still is not cheap even with an upgrade. My one phone plan is not what I would call inexpensive either. Even if only one phone was active at a time it appears by the new models they have which have come out recently that most phones must be purchased at full retail and that is quite a high price. Is there some way to get around these costs that I am not aware of ? I would love to try out all these new phones but can't afford it.
    08-18-10 08:02 AM
    I carry 8330, and a 9630, and also have a 8230 activated but don't really carry it.
    I'll be Buying the Torch outright most likely when it hits Canada depending if I need to change carriers for better coverage.

I afford it, because I can justify the costs, my mobile phone is in my hand 7 days a week for multiple hours a day, I can easily justify $2/day to upgrade my phones, meaning every year I can easily justify spending $700 for a new toy, in addition I use my phones for work, I can write off the hardware purchase on my taxes, as well as a portion of the phone bill, further reducing the costs of ownership.

It comes down to what your income is, what your hobbies are, and how you spend your time, if you rationalize cost per day, you see you probably spend far more on coffee than you do on a smartphone, which brings you more joy?
    08-18-10 08:07 AM
    I carry 8330, and a 9630, and also have a 8230 activated but don't really carry it.
    I'll be Buying the Torch outright most likely when it hits Canada depending if I need to change carriers for better coverage.

I afford it, because I can justify the costs, my mobile phone is in my hand 7 days a week for multiple hours a day, I can easily justify $2/day to upgrade my phones, meaning every year I can easily justify spending $700 for a new toy, in addition I use my phones for work, I can write off the hardware purchase on my taxes, as well as a portion of the phone bill, further reducing the costs of ownership.

It comes down to what your income is, what your hobbies are, and how you spend your time, if you rationalize cost per day, you see you probably spend far more on coffee than you do on a smartphone, which brings you more joy?
    Excellent answer
    08-18-10 07:49 PM
    As I read many of the posts people state they have an Iphone, Droid X and now the Torch....or some combo of several phones often from more than one carrier. I am just curious, how do you afford it? I am always waiting for an upgrade to reduce my phone cost which still is not cheap even with an upgrade. My one phone plan is not what I would call inexpensive either. Even if only one phone was active at a time it appears by the new models they have which have come out recently that most phones must be purchased at full retail and that is quite a high price. Is there some way to get around these costs that I am not aware of ? I would love to try out all these new phones but can't afford it.
    Another answer is that some people have so much money that the cost of cell phones is inconsequential to them. They don't even need ANY sort of "valid" reason, be it business-related or otherwise. They buy them because they CAN.
    08-18-10 08:17 PM
    Here is what I did.

Bought an 8900 from T-Mo on contract price in Summer of '09. Summer of '10 I bought a 9700 from eBay for about $240. No contract, no additional plan. Why? 9700 was an upgrade phone to replace the 8900 as a daily use phone. Wanting to get into the touch screen world, I started Storm2 shopping. About a month after the 9700 purchase, I bought a 9550 from the Marketplace here for under $200. I later unlocked it and use it as a secondary/backup device to my 9700. So, at this point, I have three BlackBerries for right at $600, all three sharing a plan. About a week ago, I sold my 8900 on Craigslist for right at $150, recouping some of my upfront cash outlay for the 9700/9550.

Long story short. To get more phones with little cash outlay, don't buy a device that's new to market and buy used.
    08-18-10 11:04 PM

I like the cut of your jib, sir.
    08-18-10 11:34 PM
    In short
    If you work hard, you can play hard. Set your goals high and stop at nothing.
    Try hard enough and you can retire early, with boats and smartphones.
    08-18-10 11:43 PM
    Here is what I did.

Bought an 8900 from T-Mo on contract price in Summer of '09. Summer of '10 I bought a 9700 from eBay for about $240. No contract, no additional plan. Why? 9700 was an upgrade phone to replace the 8900 as a daily use phone. Wanting to get into the touch screen world, I started Storm2 shopping. About a month after the 9700 purchase, I bought a 9550 from the Marketplace here for under $200. I later unlocked it and use it as a secondary/backup device to my 9700. So, at this point, I have three BlackBerries for right at $600, all three sharing a plan. About a week ago, I sold my 8900 on Craigslist for right at $150, recouping some of my upfront cash outlay for the 9700/9550.

Long story short. To get more phones with little cash outlay, don't buy a device that's new to market and buy used.
    Very true... I often buy 9700' etc from CL and resell them making anywhere from 75.00 to 150.00 per phone. When I get a hold of a better phone or accessories I keep them and switch off.. After my 9700 was recently stolen I was able to get a brand new 9700 (white- I. don't like it) for what I could get it off CL. So I dId.. Still came out on top.. If you want it you have to make it happen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD