Carriers only keep text messages for a certain amount of time. If law enforcement doesn't get to the service provider within a few days, they're probably out of luck.
    Last edited by oasissux; 03-12-10 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-12-10 10:28 PM
    Carriers only keep text messages for a certain amount of time. If law enforcement doesn't get to the service provider within a few days, they're probably out of luck.
    A few days? This may not be correct. In the matter of former Detroit
    Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, law enforcement went back and retrieved text
    messages from FIVE YEARS back. Granted this was on a US carrier and the
    legal requirements in your locale may be different.
    03-12-10 10:43 PM
    5 years??? Uhoh....I mean...how interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 11:09 PM
    5 years??? Uhoh....I mean...how interesting.
    One of the best pieces of advice given on this site was from member
    PatrickWaugh. If you don't want to see it on a 1ft x 1ft whiteboard in a
    court of law, DO NOT SEND IT!.
    03-12-10 11:36 PM
    A few days? This may not be correct. In the matter of former Detroit
    Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, law enforcement went back and retrieved text
    messages from FIVE YEARS back. Granted this was on a US carrier and the
    legal requirements in your locale may be different.
    That example isn't all that illustrative:

Kilpatrick got in trouble because he used a government-issued SkyTel pager. SkyTel�which does much of its business through government and corporate contracts�offers message archiving as one of its key features. The mayor himself had reauthorized a directive noting that even deleted electronic communications sent and received by government employees would be stored automatically
    How hard is it to delete a text message forever? - By Jacob Leibenluft - Slate Magazine

From that article, ATT keeps messages for 48 hrs. Sprint: 14 days.

It varies from carrier to carrier. For some real world examples, peruse this site:

Computer Forensics - Forums - General Discussion - Mobile Phone Forensics
    03-13-10 12:26 AM
    It varies from carrier to carrier.
    You want the truth? It's not carrier specific, period. A few years ago the USA and Britain implemented a program to record ALL phone traffic on this planet Earth. Sorry to say but anything you have ever said or sent is in the hands of the government. This came to light as the result of a lawsuit as the people who created it used it to win some contracts with said governments.

Bottom line, who cares? If you are trading in national secrets then yes get worried. If you are sexting your girlfriend then you better be aware than anyone out there is watching you. Get over it. The idea of privacy ended when someone realized they could spy one someone else and draw what they saw on papyrus.
    03-13-10 12:33 AM
    You want the truth? It's not carrier specific, period. A few years ago the USA and Britain implemented a program to record ALL phone traffic on this planet Earth. Sorry to say but anything you have ever said or sent is in the hands of the government. This came to light as the result of a lawsuit as the people who created it used it to win some contracts with said governments.

Bottom line, who cares? If you are trading in national secrets then yes get worried. If you are sexting your girlfriend then you better be aware than anyone out there is watching you. Get over it. The idea of privacy ended when someone realized they could spy one someone else and draw what they saw on papyrus.
    Lol. Source?? Or should I go get my tinfoil hat??

Methinks you watched Jon Stewart last night.
    03-13-10 12:35 AM
    Lol. Source?? Or should I go get my tinfoil hat??

Methinks you watched Jon Stewart last night.
    Believe him.

Echelon (signals intelligence) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-13-10 04:18 AM
    This whole thread reads like you're sending texts to people under the assumption the people you're sending texts to are keeping the texts to themselves. You may want to re-think that assumption.

This subject comes up a lot on many different forums, and it's usually the case that somebody is blabbin.

Messaging-101... never send a text/im/email that you'll regret sending if the wrong person sees it. Every week Judge Judy will see some poor sap of an ex-boyfriend drop his jaw when the ex-girlfriend pipes up with a text message which he never considered would be saved.
    Did you seriously use what happens on Judge Judy to the real world? You do know those are actors and get paid to do that crap....too funny!
    03-13-10 11:09 AM
    Did you seriously use what happens on Judge Judy to the real world? You do know those are actors and get paid to do that crap....too funny!
    The cases are real, as well the plaintiffs/defendants. While not an actual court of law, it is a judge presiding over arbitration to which both parties agree to. Same as with Peoples Court.

The only actors on the show are the audience members as they're paid extras.
    03-13-10 12:57 PM
    Having the ability to do something and actually doing it are two different things.
    03-13-10 02:37 PM
    dump your girlfriend for reading your texts!
    03-13-10 02:39 PM
    Having the ability to do something and actually doing it are two different things.
    Sure. If you say so.

People like you make me chuckle.

You ask for proof, you get it shoved in your face, but you still try and weasel out. How very sad.
    Last edited by PeterD; 03-13-10 at 03:17 PM.
    03-13-10 03:15 PM
    That link you posted isn't "proof", it's a bunch of hysteria.

And it's Wikipedia. It's hardly a peer reviewed journal.

Go back to your Tom Clancy books.
    03-13-10 05:34 PM
    dump your girlfriend for reading your texts!
    Kinda tough to do when its his EX girlfriend he's talking about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 06:08 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD