Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Good evening.
    I'm just curious.
    How do you fill your days at the moment?
    I ask because there are only 2 models left on sale on your EU website and a couple on the Amazon and other resale sites.
    There's little marketing beyond a couple of Tweets, and not much selling or promotion going on.
    I get the feeling that things must be pretty quiet around your offices right now? Are you worried?

Or am I missing something?

Any ideas?
    08-12-19 03:57 PM
    They have an office?
    08-12-19 04:09 PM
    Good evening.
    I'm just curious.
    How do you fill your days at the moment?
    I ask because there are only 2 models left on sale on your EU website and a couple on the Amazon and other resale sites.
    There's little marketing beyond a couple of Tweets, and not much selling or promotion going on.
    I get the feeling that things must be pretty quiet around your offices right now? Are you worried?

Or am I missing something?

Any ideas?
    There are no BBMo employees in the UK.
    Last edited by conite; 08-12-19 at 04:32 PM.
    08-12-19 04:17 PM
    Maybe a part time )

Posted via Classic Immortal edition
    08-12-19 04:19 PM
    There are no BBMo employees in the UK.
    Interesting statement. Is the COO of TCL Europa/BlackBerry Mobile Francois Mahieu no longer in London? Ralph Zimmermann no longer either? I had contact with him a month ago.
    08-12-19 04:27 PM
    Interesting statement. Is the COO of TCL Europa/BlackBerry Mobile Francois Mahieu no longer in London? Ralph Zimmermann no longer either? I had contact with him a month ago.
    Well, according the the rumour thread, "all employees in Germany, France, and UK are laid off". Could very well not apply to execs.

In any event, my statement was meant to be a bit facetious, much like the previous reply "they have an office?".
    Last edited by conite; 08-12-19 at 04:45 PM.
    08-12-19 04:32 PM
    According to my research, only the Indians were fired, not the chieftains.

And that statement is serious.
    08-12-19 04:36 PM
    According to my research, only the Indians were fired, not the chieftains.

And that statement is serious.
    Ok. Then our statements basically agree (with regards to day-to-day ops).
    08-12-19 04:46 PM
    Unfortunately, we do not agree in principle. Your statement was:

"There are no BBMo employees in the UK."

And this statement is wrong. Even if you added a smiley afterwards.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    08-12-19 04:55 PM
    Unfortunately, we do not agree in principle. Your statement was:

"There are no BBMo employees in the UK."

And this statement is wrong. Even if you added a smiley afterwards.
    With respect to the day-to-day operations alluded to by the OP, whether or not execs exist, the answers are equivalent.
    08-12-19 05:00 PM
    Conite, you may not have been aware of these offices.
    At the MWC party in Barcelona in 2018 I met and spoke to several British managers who said they worked at the EU HQ in the UK, including the sales and marketing managers, who were interested to hear my opinion on the keyone and Motion.
    I'm just curious to know what they are doing right now given the lack of any apparent activity.
    08-12-19 05:32 PM
    Well apparently they are jobless now or working for someone else.
    08-12-19 05:34 PM
    In the Press Room at blackberrymobile, the contact is now tclpress@tcl.com, whereas it was Jason.gerdon@blackberrymobile.com
    right now he is Global Strategic Communications leader at TCL based out of Orange County USA according to his LinkedIn account. He covers all TCL's mobile brands now, but was Director Global Communications of BBMO from May 2017 - August 2018.
    So, is BBMo still active in reality?

TCL is big enough to continue on business whether BBMo is active or not. That's why we may see more BB activity in the future.
    08-12-19 05:57 PM
    Probably as many BBMo employees left in the world as those left in Apple's R&D department.

Hint: Not many
    08-12-19 07:16 PM
    In the Press Room at blackberrymobile, the contact is now tclpress@tcl.com, whereas it was Jason.gerdon@blackberrymobile.com
    right now he is Global Strategic Communications leader at TCL based out of Orange County USA according to his LinkedIn account. He covers all TCL's mobile brands now, but was Director Global Communications of BBMO from May 2017 - August 2018.
    So, is BBMo still active in reality?

TCL is big enough to continue on business whether BBMo is active or not. That's why we may see more BB activity in the future.
    I suspect most TCL employees were either let go, or reabsorbed back into TCL. Some might still have some BBMo duties to perform on a part time basis while selling of committed to components is still under way.
    08-13-19 09:42 AM
    I suspect most TCL employees were either let go, or reabsorbed back into TCL. Some might still have some BBMo duties to perform on a part time basis while selling of committed to components is still under way.
    That's what I'm saying and thus why Mr Gerdon was moved from BBMO to TCL.

Let's hope BBMo gets reactivated next year and that's if they see the PKB market having a critical mass for profitability.
    08-13-19 11:20 AM
    The email addresses changed about six months ago.
    08-13-19 11:26 AM
    Go to linked in for the exact dates.
    Following this up, Gareth Hurn was the Global Head of Product at TCL /BBMo from december 2016 to January 2019 based in Reading, coming from Blackberry itself before this. I met him at the BB party during the MWC in 2018. Very nice guy. And the article he wrote on 31st January 2019, his last day in BBMo, is a fantastic personal and professional reflection on the Mobile market based on his experience. It's all about Change.
    Well worth a read for those of us interested in this sector and this brand in particular.
    I wish him well.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-ins...e-gareth-hurn/

I especially like this positive comment about Blackberry mobiles:

"Stay true to your Customers and the DNA of the Product & Brand.
    Despite changes around you, stick to the core principles that define your product and the reason customers have stayed loyal to you. The BlackBerry Bold 9900 in 2011 was a secure, productive, communication tool, that helped you get stuff done. That same description could apply to the BlackBerry KEY2 launched in 2018.... the core promise that defined the product and category remained. If you panic and stray from this, you will lose your differentiation and the customers you serve. "
    Last edited by mrsimon; 08-13-19 at 01:18 PM.
    08-13-19 12:50 PM
    I suspect a lot of decisions were made back then... President of BBMo left TCL, couple of key guys at BlackBerry Ltd left the Mobility division, then soon after announced the EOL of device apps for Android, pulled out of the US and ended Keyone updates.

I don't think we are waiting to see them make a decision, at this point it's been made already.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    08-13-19 02:21 PM
    I suspect a lot of decisions were made back then... President of BBMo left TCL, couple of key guys at BlackBerry Ltd left the Mobility division, then soon after announced the EOL of device apps for Android, pulled out of the US and ended Keyone updates.

I don't think we are waiting to see them make a decision, at this point it's been made already.
    So, the writing is on the Wall.

We've just waiting to see what is says exactly... if we dare to look.
    08-14-19 01:45 AM

Ummm....
    08-14-19 11:31 AM

Pretty simple. No new devices. Then the long, gradual reduction in support. Pretty much will be the BB10 program Android style. BlackBerry Ltd. will give up on mobile app development & support because there will be only 5 people using the apps, of which 3 will be using the free version.
    the_boon and John Albert like this.
    08-14-19 01:05 PM
    Pretty simple. No new devices. Then the long, gradual reduction in support. Pretty much will be the BB10 program Android style. BlackBerry Ltd. will give up on mobile app development & support because there will be only 5 people using the apps, of which 3 will be using the free version.
    I suspect the core HUB apps will remain as they are also part of their UEM offerings...

Still surprised that BlackBerry hasn't secured the hack that Cobalt has.... I get that in a way his Google hacks really helped them sell some phones in the later BB10 days. Even wonder if maybe he was a BlackBerry invention.... one that they let go of back in June with some of the Android Apps.
    08-14-19 02:05 PM
    I suspect the core HUB apps will remain as they are also part of their UEM offerings...

Still surprised that BlackBerry hasn't secured the hack that Cobalt has.... I get that in a way his Google hacks really helped them sell some phones in the later BB10 days. Even wonder if maybe he was a BlackBerry invention.... one that they let go of back in June with some of the Android Apps.
    I suppose BlackBerry Ltd has to puck their battles. I suspect had Cobalt been selling the hack that would have escalated things to the point of intervention.
    08-14-19 03:16 PM