Astrasync has just upgraded to version 4.1

Can anyone who has experience with the program speak of it in terms as an alternative to BES. Advantages / shortcomings?

Of main concern to me are:

* Access to all mail (in inbox and within subfolders)
    * Full HTML Support (particularly for Outlook e-mail via Exchange server)
    * Doesn't drain the battery
    * Flashing LED on receiving new e-mail

I appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by zevinzion; 05-19-10 at 03:13 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    05-19-10 02:47 PM
    I would like to add the questions:

• How is it installed?
    • Phone only or Phone and your PC?

We have an on-site Outlook Exchange server and my work PC just connects to it over the local network when it's on. How would Astrasync deal with that if my work PC is off.

And, I ask about if it has to install on a PC because that could be an issue with our IT admins.

We too used to have BES, but all the bosses switched to iPhones and dumped BES. But I'm keeping my own Pearl and connect to Exchange OWA through my own BIS.
    05-19-10 06:33 PM
    Just get BESX.
    05-20-10 12:25 AM
    Just get BESX.
    Actually, I am asking about Astrasync specifically because I am avoiding trying to use BESx. This is for a few reasons:

1) My company wants to avoid playing with our mail servers - which we would need to do if we go the BESx route.

2) For whatever reason, we have been told that BESx comes with only 2 CAL's and we need more than that.

3) On a personal level, I am not interested in my company having access to everything contained on my personal BB device.
    05-20-10 11:12 AM
    Just get BESX.
    Doesn't that still have to be installed on the mail server? That is not an option because IT and the firm owners won't allow it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 01:37 PM
    Astrasync has just upgraded to version 4.1

Can anyone who has experience with the program speak of it in terms as an alternative to BES. Advantages / shortcomings?

Of main concern to me are:

* Access to all mail (in inbox and within subfolders)
    * Full HTML Support (particularly for Outlook e-mail via Exchange server)
    * Doesn't drain the battery
    * Flashing LED on receiving new e-mail

I appreciate any feedback.
    - Not sure about getting access to all mail. I can access my Inbox but not any folders outside of my Inbox. Maybe if they are sub-folders within the Inbox.

- HTML support, eh. Seems to read them but definitely does not look like it does in Outlook.

- In my opinion, it drains my battery pretty heavily. You can adjust the settings to not check as often to help.

- No, it does not do flashing LED on new e-mail.

Can't say that I am a huge fan of this app but with no other option at my current employer, I guess it does the job. Performance is also awful in my opinion. I can always tell when it is doing a sync because the hour glass is cranking away and I can't really do anything else.
    05-20-10 01:49 PM
    Actually, I am asking about Astrasync specifically because I am avoiding trying to use BESx. This is for a few reasons:

1) My company wants to avoid playing with our mail servers - which we would need to do if we go the BESx route.
    BESX can be installed on a standalone server. The only 'change' required to Exchange is to give sufficient permissions to the BESAdmin account.

2) For whatever reason, we have been told that BESx comes with only 2 CAL's and we need more than that.
    BESX is free up to 2000 users.

3) On a personal level, I am not interested in my company having access to everything contained on my personal BB device.
    They already have access to your emails. They don't have to turn on any logging.
    05-20-10 03:37 PM
    - Not sure about getting access to all mail. I can access my Inbox but not any folders outside of my Inbox. Maybe if they are sub-folders within the Inbox.

- HTML support, eh. Seems to read them but definitely does not look like it does in Outlook.

- In my opinion, it drains my battery pretty heavily. You can adjust the settings to not check as often to help.

- No, it does not do flashing LED on new e-mail.

Can't say that I am a huge fan of this app but with no other option at my current employer, I guess it does the job. Performance is also awful in my opinion. I can always tell when it is doing a sync because the hour glass is cranking away and I can't really do anything else.
    After 24 hours of using Astrasync, my experience was the same as above.

I was able to access all of the e mails in my inbox, which was an improvement over the default BB e-mail, however, while I could see my subfolders, none of the mail associated to the sub-folders ever made it in there. (It could be I did something wrong)

There was HTML support, but it was off - not aligned properly, not allowing me to read e-mails as they were meant to be read.

No LED notification. There's supposed to be some type of visual notification on the screen, as well, but I didn't see it. (Again, could be i didn't do something right).

Most importantly, while i synced the calendar fine the first time around, without creating any duplicated. it seemed that every subsequent sync duplicated were being created on my Outlook calendar. It took me a while to clean up.

I have since removed the program.

I may go back to it in the future, but only after it's improved a bit more. It's not a bad option, but it froze up my BB a lot, and it just wasn't worth the hassle for me.
    05-21-10 02:46 AM
    We tried this in our corporate setting and it got removed after a month of use. It's a battery hog and really isn't a very good solution.
    05-21-10 12:52 PM
    BESX can be installed on a standalone server. The only 'change' required to Exchange is to give sufficient permissions to the BESAdmin account.

BESX is free up to 2000 users.

They already have access to your emails. They don't have to turn on any logging.
    But they have access to sms/mms, and a host of other things, which active sync does not. Face it. Active Sync is the better solution; regardles if AstraSync works right or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 01:32 PM
    I don't think AS works right with BIS though otherwise I would do it myself to speed up my data usage on my poor phone. I got a Linux Z-Push server running.
    05-21-10 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD