Well, if a phone is unlocked, say the Bold 9650 for instance, but I want to use it on it's original carrier (verizon), is that possible? Will Verizon give me any trouble if I bring them an unlocked phone and want them to activate it on my plan?

Thanks,
    Sam
    11-20-10 12:36 AM
    Unlocking doesn't apply to CDMA phones. You can unlock the GSM side of the Bold 9650 to use it on a GSM carrier. If you decide you want to go back to Verizon, you can, but only if you originally bought the phone from Verizon. Neither Verizon nor Sprint will activate a phone purchased from the other on their networks.
    11-20-10 12:46 AM
    Unlocking doesn't apply to CDMA phones. You can unlock the GSM side of the Bold 9650 to use it on a GSM carrier. If you decide you want to go back to Verizon, you can, but only if you originally bought the phone from Verizon. Neither Verizon nor Sprint will activate a phone purchased from the other on their networks.
    Ok, makes sense.
    Thanks for the quick response!
    11-20-10 12:48 AM
    If the ESN isn't blacklisted then you will have no problems.
    11-20-10 12:50 AM
    JeffH is correct. CDMA carriers do not allow other branded ESN's on their networks.
    11-20-10 09:08 AM
    That actually makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I think that answers my question. My friend has an 8530i on Nextel and she's ready for an upgrade, but she only has access to Nextel phones, which stopped at the 8530i. Just so I'm clear, though, you're saying that she can't do that?
    05-21-11 01:44 PM
    Sprint owns Nextel, so if your friend does not need direct connect, it would be possible to change from Nextel to Sprint.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-21-11 03:27 PM
    She would probably have to get a new SIM card for her accoun with a GSM carriert... The 8350i uses neither the CDMA network, or the GSM network, but rather the iDEN network... I don't think an iDEN sim can be used in a GSM device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 05:34 PM
    She would probably have to get a new SIM card for her accoun with a GSM carriert... The 8350i uses neither the CDMA network, or the GSM network, but rather the iDEN network... I don't think an iDEN sim can be used in a GSM device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    iDEN, even though based on TDMA technology like GSM, cannot be used in a GSM phone.

an iDEN SIM can only work in an iDEN 800mhz phone, on that network. GSM SIM cards can work on any network, only limited by the actual handsets capabilities.
    05-21-11 09:54 PM
    That actually makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I think that answers my question. My friend has an 8530i on Nextel and she's ready for an upgrade, but she only has access to Nextel phones, which stopped at the 8530i. Just so I'm clear, though, you're saying that she can't do that?
    her 8530i can ONLY be used on Nextel or Boost, with a Nextel or Boost SIM. if she wants to use the Sprint CDMA network only, she must buy a new Sprint blackberry. she cannot take her 8530i and switch to at&t or t-mobile for example. she will then need to buy a new GSM phone through them.
    05-21-11 09:57 PM
    Wow, thanks everyone. I'm gonna try to convince her to go to Sprint when the new BB7 (or QNX, preferably) phones hit them.
    05-22-11 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD