I'm finally switching providers, going from Rogers to TELUS.

Today I will be contacting TELUS to make the port and keep the same number.

I have BlackBerry OS7, 9900.

If I switch sim cards, what will happen? would I have to redo all my e-mails etc, or would those be transfered smoothly since I have my BlackBerry ID now?

Anything else I may need to know about?

Thank you!
    12-01-11 08:35 AM
    you need to make sure Rogers releases the PIN to the bb and then reregister it with TELUS
    12-01-11 08:46 AM
    you need to make sure Rogers releases the PIN to the bb and then reregister it with TELUS
    Releases the PIN? Even if it was an unlocked phone, or is that irrelevant?
    12-01-11 08:47 AM
    good choice by the way! lol

it's good that it is unlocked for sure, but also, the pin is associated to the provider i am assuming, so you can hook up all your services with out any glitches with TELUS if you have rogers disassociate the pin

back in the day, like 1XEV cdma - when we had no sim - we'd still have to do some back end carrier provisioning stuff with the pins and bis email, or whatever

so ya, just get rogers to do whatever they gotta do with the pin on their end, and you should be golden when you hook it up at the big T

peace in the middle east and i am pretty sure you will be happy with TELUS
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-01-11 at 09:26 AM.
    12-01-11 09:11 AM
    unlocking a phone has no connection with releasing a pin.

but it has to be unlocked or there's no point of releasing the pin.

anyway, when you enter into a bb service with a provider they actually "lock" your pin, meaning your device to them - bb wise. this means that you can always switch to another carrier (and use data +voice+sms) by simply changing sims but cannot use the new carrier's bb service - since they have locked the pin of your device to their network.

now in the 2011 the releasing of pin is not as big an issue because some carriers do not lock the pin anymore. with the release of new BIS versions there is no longer a need to release the pin like in the good old days. but sometimes a network can still lock your pin if they really want to or if they have turned that on for their BIS or they are still using old BIS versions. (i'm not really into the science of BIS versions but i have experienced the oddities of pin release and headaches.) thankfully i was able to travel recently to other countries and i was glad my pin wasn't locked and need not be released from any carrier (even when I activated my bb service on other networks.)

so - to be sure - ask your carrier to release your pin to be safe. there are other ways to avoid this when you do need to release your pin but I shall not discuss here. (google)
    12-01-11 09:17 AM
    good choice by the way! lol

the pin is associated to the provider i am assuming, so you can hook up all your services with out any glitches with TELUS if you have rogers disassociate the pin

back in the day, like 1XEV or just plain cdma - when we had no sim - we'd still have to do some back end carrier provisioning stuff with the pins and bis email, or whatever

so ya, just get rogers to do whatever they gotta do with the pin on their end, and you should be golden when you hook it up at the big T

peace in the middle east and i am pretty sure you will be happy with TELUS
    lol I come from the middle east!

I'm just worried Rogers would give me a hard time with that... but I'll call and ask
    12-01-11 09:19 AM
    lol I come from the middle east!

I'm just worried Rogers would give me a hard time with that... but I'll call and ask
    they shouldn't give you a hard time, if they're pros like they claim, they might just try to retain you, but they still may have to disassociate your pin, or they may not, either way it is good to check because regardless of how the networks are changing and bis is changing, carriers still like to lock stuff up, trust me, everybody knows that, lol

anyways, good to have you in canada - we can only hope for peace in the middle east

beast of luck with your switch, TELUS is really good to their clients who pay their bills, haha

take care
    jinxednuance likes this.
    12-01-11 09:30 AM
    they shouldn't give you a hard time, if they're pros like they claim, they might just try to retain you, but they still may have to disassociate your pin, or they may not, either way it is good to check because regardless of how the networks are changing and bis is changing, carriers still like to lock stuff up, trust me, everybody knows that, lol

anyways, good to have you in canada - we can only hope for peace in the middle east

beast of luck with your switch, TELUS is really good to their clients who pay their bills, haha

take care
    LOL thanks man! I actually WORK for TELUS! So the plan I'm getting is a no brainer!
    12-02-11 08:48 AM
    LOL thanks man! I actually WORK for TELUS! So the plan I'm getting is a no brainer!
    cool, i worked for TELUS for about ten years in calgary, the "management plan" at that time was really good, sweet! i am sure they're really good to you guys now a days too, with all the cool phones, plus they'd love for the team to be happy with the latest phones

i really liked their ad for the playbook, lol

anyways, all the best! take care
    12-02-11 09:52 AM
    i did the switch about a month ago from rogers to telus with a rogers unlocked phone. no issues, no problems. all they did was switch out the rogers sim with a telus sim and i was good to go!
    12-02-11 10:40 AM
    I'm finally switching providers, going from Rogers to TELUS.

Today I will be contacting TELUS to make the port and keep the same number.

I have BlackBerry OS7, 9900.

If I switch sim cards, what will happen? would I have to redo all my e-mails etc, or would those be transfered smoothly since I have my BlackBerry ID now?

Anything else I may need to know about?

Thank you!
    I think IMHO that you are making way too much of this. I have been with the same carrier for some time now and happy wit them but... Whenever you go to a new carrier buying a device and service or just buying their service as you are and porting your number the carrier will take care of EVERYTHING neccessay to make your device work with their carrier(Tellus) and they will know what to get you up and running, I would just go to the store and do it so when you walk out you know your BB is working before you leave the store.
    12-02-11 06:20 PM
  12. T
    Assuming your account is in order, you're out of your contract legally, all bills are paid, etc., can a carrier refuse to release your PIN the same way it can refuse to provide you with an unlock code?
    12-02-11 07:23 PM
    You need to release the PIN from the old carrier so you can get a BIS account registered with your new carrier.
    they can't refuse if you are the account owner, you decide what goes on with your services.

Unlocked Blackberry has nothing to do with it directly... if the device is unlocked it simple (as hardware) can work with other SIM cards from other carriers then then carrier your Blackberry is branded with.

The device will work (if unlocked) for calls and SMS, when you do all the things which related to the data services (activating a Blackberry Data plan with your new mobile carrier) you need the PIN for your provider and the service books reinstalled on your unlocked Blackberry phone (which, you can get from your new mobile carrier).
    12-04-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD