I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I've searched and could not find an answer. I'm curious as to the pronunciation of the RIM acronyms, specifically RIM, BES, and BIS. I've recently heard it pronounced two different ways:
    1)by letter, ex. R-I-M, B-E-S, B-I-S

or

2)phonetically ex. rim, bez, biss

What is the correct pronunciation?
    02-10-10 01:54 AM
    Personal choice, no?

I say B-I-S, and B-E-S, but then 'Rim'

If you're worried about being formal then you'd say the whole thing (Blackberry Internet Service, etc)
    02-10-10 02:14 AM
    BEZ and BIZ
    02-10-10 02:52 AM
    RIM, B-I-S, B-E-S is how I say it.
    02-10-10 03:23 AM
    I've never actually had to say any out loud but I say 'em in my head: Rim, Biss,... never really think of BES but "Bess" sounds dumb in my head.

Oh well
    02-10-10 04:13 AM
    Acronyms are never pronounced, they are always a sequence of letters.

I had a friend that used to spend hours working on pronouncement of late 80's computer acronyms. It was Dutch to me.
    02-10-10 09:10 AM
    Acronyms are never pronounced, they are always a sequence of letters.
    Umm.... I think you'd better clarify that one, because that statement, taken at face value, is totally wrong.

Not that Wikipedia is a great reference, but in this case it's right:

Under "Acronym"....

"Most dictionaries define acronym to mean "a word" in its original sense, [3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12] while some include a secondary indication of usage, attributing to acronym the same meaning as that of initialism.[13][14][15] According to the primary definition found in most dictionaries, examples of acronyms would include NATO (pronounced /ˈneɪtoʊ/), scuba (/ˈskuːbə/), and radar (/ˈreɪdɑr/), while examples of initialisms would include FBI (/ˌɛfˌbiːˈaɪ/) and HTML (/ˌeɪtʃˌtiːˌɛmˈɛl/).[9][14][16]"
    02-10-10 09:11 AM
    I stand corrected, some Acronyms, by accident or design, do follow the accepted Constant + Vowel pattern that can be pronounced. Most dont.
    02-10-10 09:19 AM
    Most dont.
    Technically--though nobody ever knows this--those are called 'initialisms.'

Acronyms are, by definition, always pronounced as words; initialisms, by definition, are always spelled out.

Learn somethin' new every day
    02-10-10 09:21 AM
    "RIM" Rhymes with "Him"
    "BES" Rhymes with "Fez"
    "BIS" Rhymes with "Hiss"

I realize there is an inconsistency there, with BIS and BES but that's the way I've heard them pronounced
    02-10-10 09:54 AM
    Thanks for all the answers (and the lesson on initialism...I had no idea there was a difference).

I think I'll just stick to saying the whole thing when speaking.
    02-10-10 08:55 PM
    Funny, i was wondering this myself :P
    02-10-10 09:27 PM
    Then there's the military. A plethora of acronyms, seldom regarded as initialisms. It all seems a little fubar to me.
    02-10-10 11:27 PM
    Personally for me it has always come down to whether it can be spoken as a word

FEMA, NATO, SWAG (sophisticated wild a$s guess), RADAR, LASER, etc are always
    pronounced as words.

GFOA, AICPA, CTD and OFD (circling the drain and obviously f'n dead - EMS terms),
    EMT, EMS, etc are pronounced as individual letters.
    02-10-10 11:56 PM
    I say RIM, BES (bez) but B-I-S. Can't tell you why.
    02-11-10 12:15 AM
    BIS: bee-eye-ess, letter for letter. its an acronym for BlackBerry Internet Service
    BES: bee-eee-ess, letter for letter. its an acronym for BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    RIM: "rim", like the word, even though its an acronym for Research In Motion

i know some acronyms like NATO (nay-to) and CIWS (sea-whizz) can be pronounced as words when it makes sense or sounds correct.

other acronyms are better suited to be just spelled out. the USA isnt pronounced "yousa", its spelled out U-S-A.

i find it quite silly that some of you think BIS and BES are actually pronounced as "bez" or "biss". it just sounds stupid. my money is that they are spelled out, not spoken as words.

i also think it all comes down to whether or not acronyms sound stupid/silly vs like actual words. if they sounds silly, they are easy to mistake for other words or acronyms.
    02-11-10 01:57 AM
    Umm.... I think you'd better clarify that one, because that statement, taken at face value, is totally wrong.

Not that Wikipedia is a great reference, but in this case it's right:

Under "Acronym"....

"Most dictionaries define acronym to mean "a word" in its original sense, [3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12] while some include a secondary indication of usage, attributing to acronym the same meaning as that of initialism.[13][14][15] According to the primary definition found in most dictionaries, examples of acronyms would include NATO (pronounced /ˈneɪtoʊ/), scuba (/ˈskuːbə/), and radar (/ˈreɪdɑr/), while examples of initialisms would include FBI (/ˌɛfˌbiːˈaɪ/) and HTML (/ˌeɪtʃˌtiːˌɛmˈɛl/).[9][14][16]"

from a reliable source IE anywhere but WikiPedia

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

a pronounceable name made up of a series of initial letters or parts of words; for example, UNESCO for the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization

a word formed from the initial letters or syllables taken from a group of words that form the name of a company, product, process, etc.

acronym - definition of acronym by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

for me personally "Rim" (like on a car) and Bee Eee S or Bee Eye S

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD